"On Demand" start of next interval

Please add feature and function requests for PM3 firmware, DLL/API's, and documentation here.
becz
1k Poster

"On Demand" start of next interval

Post by becz » January 3rd, 2007, 2:30 pm

There have been a few questions on other parts of the forum that I think would be answered by the following capability: for an interval workout definition, allow the interval time or distance to be entered (even variable intervals if desired), but let the rest time (or really the start of the next interval) be defined as "on demand" (or something similar). So after an interval, during the rest period, have a button which shows "start next interval", then maybe give a 5 second count down and start the next interval. This would be useful for the person who was looking for a way to restart intervals based on heart rate. Once you've recovered to the desired rate, just hit "start next interval" and off you go. Or if you are doing many hard intervals and don't want to have to guess how much rest time to define between each work period (particularly later in the workout) this would be very helpful.

The only way to currently do this manually is to go back into the workouts menu after each interval and start the next one when you're ready. Not only is this time consuming, but your intervals get saved separately on the log card, when it would be nice to keep them all under one session.
[url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/fhqwhgads.html]fhqwghads[/url]

PaulS
10k Poster

Post by PaulS » January 3rd, 2007, 3:52 pm

Another option would be to have the rest period "count up" instead of counting down, but this would only work for passive rest since it would begin the next interval when the PM sensed a new stroke. Of course a target pace can be set, so perhaps there could be a "count up" plus the next interval would not start until the target pace was hit or exceeded, allowing for "paddling" (active rest).

If there were a "rest distance" that could be defined (it can be by defining a lot of alternating intervals with minimum rest times. Sort of a solution.) then you can simply stop rowing and let the HR recover, then paddle into the next work interval.

I wouldn't mind having a "PM2" option, so that the rest period counts down and then waits for the rower to begin, it solves all the problems except having strictly enforced rest periods, which can be taken care of by the rower anyway. We do this with ErgMonitor by having the option for the start to be "Immediate" or "On Drive".

Strict rest periods:
Work intervals and rest intervals start immediately.

Variable rest periods:
Work intervals start "On Drive", Rest intervals start immediately.

Also Rest distances can be set up if you like, with either immediate or On Drive qualifiers.
Erg on,
Paul Smith
www.ps-sport.net Your source for Useful Rowing Accessories and Training Assistance.
"If you don't want to know the answer, don't ask me the question."

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Re: "On Demand" start of next interval

Post by johnlvs2run » January 3rd, 2007, 4:27 pm

becz wrote:Tlet the rest time (or really the start of the next interval) be defined as "on demand" (or something similar).
Great idea.

The pm2 had that feature, and also that you could do any number of repetitions without the need for the number of them to be predefined in advanced. The pm3 does not have either of these features. With the pm3 if you have programmed 7 reps and decide to do 10 then you're out of luck, or have to try and quickly try to reprogram in between and that is not easy at all.

With the pm2+ I could quickly reprogram another 20 rep set with only 30s of recovery in between, and the pm2 already had that "on demand" feature.

I am happy with the pm3, but it is good to see these things for when it might be upgraded to include them.

becz
1k Poster

Post by becz » January 3rd, 2007, 4:45 pm

PaulS wrote:I wouldn't mind having a "PM2" option, so that the rest period counts down and then waits for the rower to begin, it solves all the problems except having strictly enforced rest periods, which can be taken care of by the rower anyway.
I miss having that feature too. The unique thing I like about the PM3, and the reason I thought an "on demand" feature would be nice, is that the rest meters are accounted for and reported at the end. I know some people don't care, but I like being able to track all of my meters during an interval workout, active and rest. The issue with the PM2+ feature of not starting the next interval until the first pull is that it doesn't work well for active rest (as you pointed out). That is, if I haven't recovered completely but my rest interval has come to an end, I have to stop rowing to keep the next interval from starting, when what I really want to do is keep paddling until I'm ready to go again.
[url=http://www.homestarrunner.com/fhqwhgads.html]fhqwghads[/url]