New Forum

read only section for reference and search purposes.
User avatar
johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3260
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Post by johnlvs2run » March 17th, 2006, 2:31 pm

A listing by "most recent topics" would be useful, i.e. of all topics with the most recent ones first -- and not separated by the type of forum they are in.
72, 5'8", 155lbs ~ Skierg Lightweights
Attention Concept2 --> please add a lightweight division for the Skierg.

User avatar
Sasha
500m Poster
Posts: 93
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 7:45 pm
Location: In front of the computer

Post by Sasha » March 17th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Above the forums on the right is a "View posts since last visit" link that provides the posts independent of forum. That might suit your needs.

Alissa
2k Poster
Posts: 433
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Location: So. California

Link to a particular post?

Post by Alissa » March 17th, 2006, 2:42 pm

Is there a way to post a link to a particular post (as opposed to either the entire thread or the particular page within a thread)?

Thanks.

Alissa

PaulH
6k Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:03 pm
Location: Hants, UK
Contact:

Post by PaulH » March 17th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Look for a little 'page with a folded corner' symbol at the start of each point, just before the bit saying "Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006..." That's the static link for each post.

User avatar
johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3260
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Post by johnlvs2run » March 17th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Sasha wrote:Above the forums on the right is a "View posts since last visit" link that provides the posts independent of forum. That might suit your needs.
Yes this is good. It would be nice if there was no limit on the history, or at least if it went back 20 threads or so.
72, 5'8", 155lbs ~ Skierg Lightweights
Attention Concept2 --> please add a lightweight division for the Skierg.

User avatar
c2bill
1k Poster
Posts: 170
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 6:26 pm
Location: Vermont, USA

view new posts

Post by c2bill » March 17th, 2006, 9:47 pm

i suspect that using the rss feed might be just the ticket here... look under forum use/comments for a discussion on rss feeds - but configuring it just so you'll be able to get a listing by topic, thread or posts - then you can feed this to google personal page or bloglines or similar rss reader.

bp

Dokitoedele
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Post by Dokitoedele » March 18th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Anyway, good to see we're back on board again :D

User avatar
GeorgeD
2k Poster
Posts: 219
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 11:09 pm
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Post by GeorgeD » March 19th, 2006, 2:17 am

Hi with VPSLV would it be possible to go to your 'last read post' on a thread so that on very active threads you dont need to search backwards.

I realise this was something that was available using the last US format and not on the current Uk format ....

Appreciate the work done and the nice clean format of the forum

tks George

PaulH
6k Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:03 pm
Location: Hants, UK
Contact:

Post by PaulH » March 19th, 2006, 8:22 am

On the list of forum topics you'll see a small orange square on the left of the topic - clicking this takes you to the last unread post.

Alissa
2k Poster
Posts: 433
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 12:02 pm
Location: So. California

Usergroups list instead of Member List?

Post by Alissa » March 19th, 2006, 11:01 am

When you opened this forum, there was a link at the top to "members" which showed a numbered list of members. Was that intended to be replaced with a "usergroups list" (as it seems to have been)? There seems to be only one Usergroup (Remote Adminstorators), and it has one member and is closed.

Not sure what this is about, but it was nice to be able to see members.

Alissa

PaulH
6k Poster
Posts: 983
Joined: March 15th, 2006, 10:03 pm
Location: Hants, UK
Contact:

Re: Usergroups list instead of Member List?

Post by PaulH » March 19th, 2006, 11:20 am

Alissa wrote:When you opened this forum, there was a link at the top to "members" which showed a numbered list of members. Was that intended to be replaced with a "usergroups list" (as it seems to have been)? There seems to be only one Usergroup (Remote Adminstorators), and it has one member and is closed.

Not sure what this is about, but it was nice to be able to see members.

Alissa
The members list was removed because the marginal benefit of having it (once you get a few thousand members it becomes pretty unwieldy!) is outweighed by the downside that it is an incentive for spam memberships (people signing up purely to get a better page ranking for some site in Google). Not sure what the replacement thing is though - Bill's working on that area :)

User avatar
danwho
10k Poster
Posts: 1033
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 11:08 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Link to a particular post?

Post by danwho » March 19th, 2006, 12:54 pm

Alissa wrote:Is there a way to post a link to a particular post (as opposed to either the entire thread or the particular page within a thread)?

Thanks.

Alissa
Hi Alissa, it is my observation that every post has a different number. For example, your post above is post number 216. I saw this post number when I clicked the "Quote" button to make this reply:
http://www.c2forum.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=216

And I can directly refer to that post with:
http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?p=216#216

It seems to me the p=216 takes me to the page containing post 216 and the #216 takes me to the specific post within that page.

User avatar
The Hague Dragon
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: March 19th, 2006, 12:54 pm
Location: The Hague, Netherlands
Contact:

Post by The Hague Dragon » March 19th, 2006, 12:59 pm

ancho wrote: See it's the same format as in the UK-forum. I've read over there and agree it would be a good idea to unify the UK and USA fora...
I don't agree to unify the UK and USA fora because there is a different style between the people that visit these fora.
Both has each his own charm. The USA forum is more international.
I like to keep both fora. But that's my humble opinion.....

User avatar
danwho
10k Poster
Posts: 1033
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 11:08 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Post by danwho » March 19th, 2006, 1:02 pm

Never mind, just saw the PaulH post about the page symbol with the folder corner. That's much better.

Godfried
1k Poster
Posts: 105
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Re: Usergroups list instead of Member List?

Post by Godfried » April 15th, 2006, 10:20 am

PaulH wrote:
Alissa wrote:When you opened this forum, there was a link at the top to "members" which showed a numbered list of members. Was that intended to be replaced with a "usergroups list" (as it seems to have been)? There seems to be only one Usergroup (Remote Adminstorators), and it has one member and is closed.

Not sure what this is about, but it was nice to be able to see members.

Alissa
The members list was removed because the marginal benefit of having it (once you get a few thousand members it becomes pretty unwieldy!) is outweighed by the downside that it is an incentive for spam memberships (people signing up purely to get a better page ranking for some site in Google). Not sure what the replacement thing is though - Bill's working on that area :)
The memberlist is back.

Locked