Open Water Rowing

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
Cyclist2
5k Poster

Re: Open Water Rowing

Post by Cyclist2 » September 25th, 2018, 11:03 am

Nice job, Paul! That sounds like some pretty serious open water. You got that box checked. I'm pretty sure I'd pass on most of the races you describe competing in!

I've been rowing my new Aero on the Hood Canal (Puget Sound), but I pick my days carefully. I have signed up for a head race in October, just to get the feeling of the crowds, other boats around, and the atmosphere that I haven't experienced in over 20 years. I don't really expect much, just get the feel back. I'll post a race report.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

PaulG
2k Poster

Post by PaulG » September 27th, 2018, 9:48 am

Cyclist2 wrote:
September 25th, 2018, 11:03 am
Nice job, Paul! That sounds like some pretty serious open water. You got that box checked. I'm pretty sure I'd pass on most of the races you describe competing in!

I've been rowing my new Aero on the Hood Canal (Puget Sound), but I pick my days carefully. I have signed up for a head race in October, just to get the feeling of the crowds, other boats around, and the atmosphere that I haven't experienced in over 20 years. I don't really expect much, just get the feel back. I'll post a race report.
Mark: I'd look forward to hearing your trip report. I may be taking some artistic license on some of my trip reports, but not on my first attempt at the Minots Light Roundabout. That was hairy. The second time was much better.

I recommend that all OTW rowers practice flipping and more importantly getting back in. The Aero is a great stable boat but if it has both front and back stays it could be more difficult to get back into. Practice will increase confidence.

Cyclist2
5k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » September 27th, 2018, 5:58 pm

PaulG wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 9:48 am
I recommend that all OTW rowers practice flipping and more importantly getting back in. The Aero is a great stable boat but if it has both front and back stays it could be more difficult to get back into. Practice will increase confidence.
I went to my upcoming race venue yesterday and rowed the course. It was pretty choppy; a lot more than I usually choose to row in, plus some big power boat wakes. I caught a few crabs and took a little water over the gunwales, but nothing too scary. However, I had read your post, and after that row I decided I really needed to practice getting back in under more controlled conditions, so today I did.

Our little lake here is perfect for that, and it was a warm day, so into the drink I went. Twice, once from each side. No real problem getting back in, the Aero is a big wide platform, but I did discover a few small things that I have to modify (my feet didn't come out of the clogs very well). I can see how in really cold water, you'd have to force yourself to relax and breathe, slow it down a little so that your first effort is successful. Spend less time in the water overall.

Thanks for your post, Paul. It prompted me to do something I knew I should but never had. Until now.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.