Life jacket

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
nysaag
500m Poster

Life jacket

Post by nysaag » June 7th, 2020, 8:16 am

Any suggestions for light unobtrusive life preserver to wear while rowing in a single?
Thanks for your suggestions.

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Re: Life jacket

Post by Cyclist2 » June 7th, 2020, 11:12 am

West Marine, www.westmarine.com/paddlesports-life-jackets has various PFD's. When required I wear an inflatable waist belt, but there are over the head types, see Mustang Survival, www.mustangsurvival.com/collections/inflatable-pfds.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Rvanvoris
Paddler

Post by Rvanvoris » June 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm

Last November it was a warm day so I went out rowing on the Agawam river in Wareham MA
When I came in I noticed that a uniformed officer from Fish and Game was on the shore waiting for me at the take out and when I got in he asked me if I had a PFD (life preserver) I told him no and repeated what had been told to me years ago that the oars were considered floatation devices by the coast guard ( which is not so I found out later) The officer told me that by law in Massachusetts I was required to wear a PFD between Oct.15 and May 15. Then he hit me with a $50 ticket.
To make a long story short I ended up with one of the inflatable fanny pack type they sell for SUP. It is acceptable to the local authorities, I checked, and it is easy to wear and does not impact my sculling at all. Even now after the May 15th cut off date I wear it whenever I go out, 3 or 4 times a week on average. It actually makes me more comfortable when the wind and chop come up or when some idiot in a bass boat wakes me.
And they cost less than a couple of tickets from the fish and game.

Zuman
Paddler

Post by Zuman » June 27th, 2020, 3:38 pm

I use the Onyx A24 In-Sight with my TS515 single. It's a low-profile auto-inflate vest that's Coast Guard approved, and it has a visible indicator (green or red) to show its state-of-readiness.

Ponder
Paddler

Post by Ponder » July 3rd, 2020, 10:11 am

Rvanvoris wrote:
June 27th, 2020, 2:54 pm
Last November it was a warm day so I went out rowing on the Agawam river in Wareham MA
When I came in I noticed that a uniformed officer from Fish and Game was on the shore waiting for me at the take out and when I got in he asked me if I had a PFD (life preserver) I told him no and repeated what had been told to me years ago that the oars were considered floatation devices by the coast guard ( which is not so I found out later) The officer told me that by law in Massachusetts I was required to wear a PFD between Oct.15 and May 15. Then he hit me with a $50 ticket.
To make a long story short I ended up with one of the inflatable fanny pack type they sell for SUP. It is acceptable to the local authorities, I checked, and it is easy to wear and does not impact my sculling at all. Even now after the May 15th cut off date I wear it whenever I go out, 3 or 4 times a week on average. It actually makes me more comfortable when the wind and chop come up or when some idiot in a bass boat wakes me.
And they cost less than a couple of tickets from the fish and game.
Inflatable fanny pack PFD for a paddle board? Never seen or heard of one of those but it sounds interesting. It's a bummer that they gave you a $50 ticket, as if taxes save lives. The guy could have just told you to wear a life jacket next time, although, I'd guess that's cheaper than a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Also, why the dates that you have to wear a PFD? What's the thinking behind that? Why not all the time?