Concept2 Skinnys or Wintech RDS blades?

No, ergs don't yet float, but some of us do, and here's where you get to discuss that other form of rowing.
CharlieV453
Paddler

Concept2 Skinnys or Wintech RDS blades?

Post by CharlieV453 » July 28th, 2019, 5:25 am

Hi, I've been saving up my money for a good while now and have enough money to purchase a set of blades. Our clubs blades are a bit of a mess at the moment, with 1000 different gearings between them making it very difficult to find any consistency. I want to train with the same gearing each session so I can base any changes in speed or technique down to other factors, not the blades changing. In my eyes, my choices are Concept2 Skinnys, RDS blades or standard concept2's. At the club we have 3 sets of standard concept2's designed for a specific boat (one set got lost) which I am allowed to use semi-regularly but still not every session. Do people have any preferences or opinions on which is better for the price? Or any other options that the see as better? Typically I race in a single/double to a high level and we are looking to race a quad in the upcoming season.

Thanks

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Re: Concept2 Skinnys or Wintech RDS blades?

Post by Cyclist2 » July 28th, 2019, 12:19 pm

Had the same "problem" with oars at my club. Now we are in "set boat" practices, so we got to choose our oars and set them for us and the boat (double) specifically. Much better! Next season, we start all over with the "grab any oars and go" routine.

Can't comment on which oars are better for the money, but that probably isn't the biggest factor. As you noted, consistency is the key, even with old, beat up oars. So I'd say go with C2, just based on their history, customer service, and reputation. Or, to save yourself all the money, just talk to the club about having a set of oars that are "yours", at least in the short term.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

CharlieV453
Paddler

Re: Concept2 Skinnys or Wintech RDS blades?

Post by CharlieV453 » July 28th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Yeah. Concept 2 are the ones we use 99% of the time. The club aren't keen whatsoever on loaning blades for individual use however so am still looking at other options.