Forum Flyers

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.
lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2344
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by lindsayh » December 6th, 2018, 10:36 am

SowfLondonRower wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:35 am
Think I could maybe go slightly further with better pacing. Will try again next week.
That's a nice 30 minutes Robin. Bound to get better whilst you bathe in the early improvement but impressive indeed
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7892
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by hjs » December 6th, 2018, 2:07 pm

SowfLondonRower wrote:
December 6th, 2018, 9:35 am
Managed to get a new PB for the challenge (and, more impressively, successfully post it on the ctc site).

Image

Think I could maybe go slightly further with better pacing. Will try again next week.
Good bit left, maybe rate a bit higher from the off. Certainly more to come!
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4476
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » December 6th, 2018, 7:09 pm

Image

Meter total very low this year. Never been under 3MM per.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

User avatar
Papy
2k Poster
Posts: 285
Joined: September 5th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Papy » December 7th, 2018, 7:52 am

Still, another nice milestone, Jack ! Congrats !
Olivier - UK - 45M, 104kg, 1m88 - Old PB:1'00:332m/500m: 1'36"9/1k: 3'38.9/2k: 7'29.3/5k:20'03.5/10k:42'37.4 / 30 min:7,367m /60min:13,547m/HM:1h33'43".8

User avatar
Papy
2k Poster
Posts: 285
Joined: September 5th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Papy » December 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Proper "full-on" attempt today at the 30 min (and incidentally CTC) since i restarted rowing at the end of September. Happy to have kept 24 SPM throughout and breaking the 7k barrier at 7,111m which was the main goal. Had set up the pace boat at 2:08:5 for that purpose but started too fast in the first five minutes and paid the price down the line. Only 256m away from my old PB, i'll take that for now... maybe some room to have another proper go before the year is out.

I did consider registering at the EIRC in February as a motivational target but as I have hardly done any proper sprint/ interval work yet, I thought best and wiser not to. Over 2 months on after resuming, my back is still holding ok (knock on wood) and I am slowly reaping continuous benefits health-wise. I believe going into a sprinting mindset that early on for the next 8 weeks could be detrimental at this stage. So, patience for now and more slow long distance up to HM for me in the 2:15 - 2:25 region to continue build up fitness... The motivation of chasing up the affiliation's ranks and a 200K target for the holiday challenge is motivation enough already :mrgreen:

Good luck to David and Lindsay at the BRIC tomorrow with the other 1800 competitors. Enjoy !! :mrgreen:
Olivier - UK - 45M, 104kg, 1m88 - Old PB:1'00:332m/500m: 1'36"9/1k: 3'38.9/2k: 7'29.3/5k:20'03.5/10k:42'37.4 / 30 min:7,367m /60min:13,547m/HM:1h33'43".8

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4476
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » December 11th, 2018, 3:13 am

Papy wrote:
December 7th, 2018, 2:28 pm
Proper "full-on" attempt today at the 30 min (and incidentally CTC) since i restarted rowing at the end of September. Happy to have kept 24 SPM throughout and breaking the 7k barrier at 7,111m which was the main goal. Had set up the pace boat at 2:08:5 for that purpose but started too fast in the first five minutes and paid the price down the line. Only 256m away from my old PB, i'll take that for now... maybe some room to have another proper go before the year is out.

I did consider registering at the EIRC in February as a motivational target but as I have hardly done any proper sprint/ interval work yet, I thought best and wiser not to. Over 2 months on after resuming, my back is still holding ok (knock on wood) and I am slowly reaping continuous benefits health-wise. I believe going into a sprinting mindset that early on for the next 8 weeks could be detrimental at this stage. So, patience for now and more slow long distance up to HM for me in the 2:15 - 2:25 region to continue build up fitness... The motivation of chasing up the affiliation's ranks and a 200K target for the holiday challenge is motivation enough already :mrgreen:

Good luck to David and Lindsay at the BRIC tomorrow with the other 1800 competitors. Enjoy !! :mrgreen:
Solid 30’ effort, Olivier; getting close to your previous best number. Look ahead to the European or British next yr. Plenty of time until then for a periodized training scheme which will serve your back first and your competitive ambition later.

Dave and Lindsay: Y’all gwine suffer like dawgs! Make it skippy so ya don’t suffer for long. :wink:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2344
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by lindsayh » December 15th, 2018, 10:27 pm

Terry and I did the 30' this morning - first serious session in about ten days
mine 1:57.9 and T's @`1:58.8
Good and steady but mine was slow of course!
Can only get better I hope. 5ks to come
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2344
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by lindsayh » December 17th, 2018, 5:36 am

Interesting kiwi alert - Allen Hallberg has posted an entry for the ctc after a long absence - he goes way back with the FFs and was a very strong sprinter.
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7892
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by hjs » December 17th, 2018, 5:48 am

lindsayh wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:36 am
Interesting kiwi alert - Allen Hallberg has posted an entry for the ctc after a long absence - he goes way back with the FFs and was a very strong sprinter.
He actually started much more as a distance man Lindsay, he certainly was not a pure sprinter, certainly looking at the monsters nowadays in the 50 plus cat.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2344
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by lindsayh » December 17th, 2018, 6:16 am

hjs wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:48 am
lindsayh wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:36 am
Interesting kiwi alert - Allen Hallberg has posted an entry for the ctc after a long absence - he goes way back with the FFs and was a very strong sprinter.
He actually started much more as a distance man Lindsay, he certainly was not a pure sprinter, certainly looking at the monsters nowadays in the 50 plus cat.

likely right henry - I met him at a short course race meeting - not a monster but very big upper body and strong. Ranked very high back in the day and 46 previous ctc entries with us.
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7892
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by hjs » December 17th, 2018, 6:32 am

lindsayh wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 6:16 am
hjs wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:48 am
lindsayh wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 5:36 am
Interesting kiwi alert - Allen Hallberg has posted an entry for the ctc after a long absence - he goes way back with the FFs and was a very strong sprinter.
He actually started much more as a distance man Lindsay, he certainly was not a pure sprinter, certainly looking at the monsters nowadays in the 50 plus cat.

likely right henry - I met him at a short course race meeting - not a monster but very big upper body and strong. Ranked very high back in the day and 46 previous ctc entries with us.
He started training a bit with Toddy, but before this he did a longer distance work, and in his younger days he used to be a strongman competitor. Should be in the rankings. Believe his son also has ctc entries for us.

2007 20k this https://log.concept2.com/rankings/2007/ ... ?age=50-59
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
Papy
2k Poster
Posts: 285
Joined: September 5th, 2015, 2:39 pm

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by Papy » December 22nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Somehow managed my third longest distance on the hour today with 13,212m (335m away from my 2015 PB). Started the workout for an HM but didn't have enough in the tank for that distance .Tried to focus on keeping constant pace range on individual strokes for the hour. 2'20-2'18 for the first 10 min as warm up, then 2'15 to to 2'18 for the next 45+ min, then all sub 2'00 for the 4 min (-ish :mrgreen: ). Gives me a good framework for next proper attempt to break the PB.

That took me over the 750 km mark since i resumed rowing on 29th sept. Very happy with the health progress (BP now regularly under 120/75 from the 145/100 in the summer, hoping ultimately it might waive the additional tablet I was put on earlier in the year) and weight loss (nearly 11 kg lost since July, now in the 104kg range, i.e. the lightest I was in my first rowing period in 2015/2016). Importantly, the back and shoulders are also keeping well too.

Now for a welcome break away from the erg for the next four days, to start afresh after the festivities for more fitness improvements.

Merry Christmas/Festive season to all B)
Olivier - UK - 45M, 104kg, 1m88 - Old PB:1'00:332m/500m: 1'36"9/1k: 3'38.9/2k: 7'29.3/5k:20'03.5/10k:42'37.4 / 30 min:7,367m /60min:13,547m/HM:1h33'43".8

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2344
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by lindsayh » December 23rd, 2018, 12:42 am

best wishes all for a great xmas and 2019

not training well right now but managed a "reasonable" 5k in the circumstances but very ordinary 19:06 - pretty depressing
Terry came along for the ride and knocked 12s of his which adjusts very nicely to 15:28
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4476
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by jackarabit » December 23rd, 2018, 12:19 pm

Best wishes of the season to all the Flyers (and other tribes, coalitions, congregations, affiliations and singularities of the indoor rowing sport). Erg on!
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

ivan141
500m Poster
Posts: 68
Joined: October 23rd, 2016, 9:46 am

Re: Forum Flyers

Post by ivan141 » December 26th, 2018, 2:25 pm

Anyone else using their time off to get some meters in?
I had my first HD in 2 years today, training towards get a better result on the 30 min CTC this month.
The basic principle was 10x760m r'20 at R28, but it felt like my heart was about to explode after the 8th interval.
Have to face up to the fact that I've been avoiding the pain cave for far too long..
How does one rate high yet keep the split sustainable for those first minutes? I prioritized the R28 over my splits
and consequently overdid it on the first few pieces since I couldnt rate that high at more sustainable splits (started at 1:48).
M/35yo/97kg Image

Post Reply