LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

A member of an indoor rowing team or club? If so, this is the place for you.

Can this one team row to the moon and back?

Poll ended at May 17th, 2008, 12:28 pm

I think we can do it together. I'm all in!
85%
No way! You all are wacko!
15%

Total votes: 54

Tombeur
500m Poster

Re: LUNA-TICS TEAM ROOM: Year-round "Looney" fun.

Post by Tombeur » February 7th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Jodi wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 10:43 am
BigBrett58 wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 12:18 pm
Jodi wrote:
February 6th, 2020, 7:12 am
Struggling to get a row in today due to a late night in the city for a yoga class.
Is anyone else participating in the Military Challenge? I'm affiliated with the Air Force and it looks like the smart branch of the military is hanging steady in 3rd place so far. :lol:
I'm participating in the USMC side. Yeah, not the most scholarly group. I did my part to break the stereotype by earning a masters in economics and working as an actuarial analyst for about 9 years. Most jarheads tend to be a bit more street smart than book smart.
:lol: Yes, you definitely beat the stereotype.

Once again I am participating as one of the “tattered outlaws of the earth,” to borrow Chesterton's description of his donkey (minus the redemptive quality) in his famous poem. I am a Vietnam veteran and like my brothers and sisters I was called a murderer and otherwise reviled when I came home in January 1967. Forty-eight years later it remains an act of defiance to declare myself a veteran of that hapless war. We are the US Army Vietnam veterans. Last year nine participants ranked 30; five have returned so far this year for a total of six. As of this morning, we are holing at 43 with most of the month ahead. We hope to improve our standing but that is secondary. What matters is that we are still in the contest. Tom Rafter (Tombeur).

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm

Tombeur wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:01 pm
Jodi wrote:
BigBrett58 wrote:

I'm participating in the USMC side. Yeah, not the most scholarly group. I did my part to break the stereotype by earning a masters in economics and working as an actuarial analyst for about 9 years. Most jarheads tend to be a bit more street smart than book smart.

Once again I am participating as one of the “tattered outlaws of the earth,” to borrow Chesterton's description of his donkey (minus the redemptive quality) in his famous poem. I am a Vietnam veteran and like my brothers and sisters I was called a murderer and otherwise reviled when I came home in January 1967. FIFTY-THREE years later it remains an act of defiance to declare myself a veteran of that hapless war. We are the US Army Vietnam veterans. Last year nine participants ranked 30; five have returned so far this year for a total of six. As of this morning, we are holing at 43 with most of the month ahead. We hope to improve our standing but that is secondary. What matters is that we are still in the contest. Tom Rafter (Tombeur).

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 7th, 2020, 2:17 pm

Tombeur wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 2:15 pm
Tombeur wrote:
Jodi wrote:

Once again I am participating as one of the “tattered outlaws of the earth,” to borrow Chesterton's description of his donkey (minus the redemptive quality) in his famous poem. I am a Vietnam veteran and like my brothers and sisters I was called a murderer and otherwise reviled when I came home in January 1967. FIFTY-THREE years later it remains an act of defiance to declare myself a veteran of that hapless war. We are the US Army Vietnam veterans. Last year nine participants ranked 30; five have returned so far this year for a total of six. As of this morning, we are holding at 43 with most of the month ahead. We hope to improve our standing but that is secondary. What matters is that we are still in the contest. Tom Rafter (Tombeur).

BigBrett58
1k Poster

Post by BigBrett58 » February 7th, 2020, 2:32 pm

Tom,

I'm sorry for the way you and your bothers were treated. There was nothing about my experience in the marines that compared to the treatment you faced. Sometimes I wonder if active duty or veterans of today are treated so well partly because of the how poorly they were treated before. In some way, maybe we're trying to atone for past mistakes.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » February 7th, 2020, 5:23 pm

This is one of the first years where a teammate didn’t have to leave our affiliation in order to participate in the Military Challenge. Some great exchanges going on between teammates - and learning things we didn’t know! Lot of military folks in my family - all the way from cavalry riders to the First World War, the second and Korea where an uncle was a POW. Dad was a Vietnam vet also. Two nephews and a niece are in the US Army and my godson is in the Air Force. Proud of all of them.

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 7th, 2020, 10:43 pm

Thanks for these messages of support. Son Number 3 served in the Marines in 1990s when Bosnia was raging and was very well treated in and after active duty.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 2.07.2020

Post by Kona2 » February 8th, 2020, 10:56 am

Snow Moon rises tonight! It's the first supermoon of 2020, so it will look bigger and brighter (with yet another band of snow expected here, it might just be a fuzzy glow for us!) Don't forget your cape.

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations:

2.85 MM Brett
1.8 MM K2
700 K Stuart
650 K Rick

Thanks, everyone, for erging with us!

Jamie 1,551 m ...a palindrome with high fives in the middle!
Dave P 2,000 m
Heather 4,951 m
Kevin Mc 5,000 m
Ryan 5,000 m
David T 5,500 m...a double double!
Steve W 6,000 m
Dan O' 6,012 m
Rick 6,269 m
Jeff D 7,252 m
Tombeur 7,622 m
Tom M 8,026 m
Rebecca 10,000 m
Ed 10,001 m ...a one aught palindrome!
Louie 10,101 m ...a one aught one palindrome!
Norma 10,101 m ...another one aught one palindrome!
Howard 10,414 m
David A 11,186 m
Carol 11,222 ....a double triple!
Dennis 13,431 m ...a palindrome and only about 25K to go for ONE million!
Stuart 16,461 m ...a palindrome!
K2 17,771 m ...a palindrome with lucky 7s inside!
Patrick S 20,330 m
Minnie 20,628 m
Tom R 20,800 m
Image Brett 30,087 m ... he moons us! And has 12K and change to reach 10 MM lifetime meters!

Jodi
1k Poster

Post by Jodi » February 8th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Tombeur wrote:
Jodi wrote:
BigBrett58 wrote:

Once again I am participating as one of the “tattered outlaws of the earth,” to borrow Chesterton's description of his donkey (minus the redemptive quality) in his famous poem. I am a Vietnam veteran and like my brothers and sisters I was called a murderer and otherwise reviled when I came home in January 1967. Forty-eight years later it remains an act of defiance to declare myself a veteran of that hapless war. We are the US Army Vietnam veterans. Last year nine participants ranked 30; five have returned so far this year for a total of six. As of this morning, we are holing at 43 with most of the month ahead. We hope to improve our standing but that is secondary. What matters is that we are still in the contest. Tom Rafter (Tombeur).
My dad was in Vietnam and it haunted him until he died a few years ago due to complications from a surgery that was related to alcoholism. I salute you for your perseverance and honor you for your service. And happy having a fellow Veteran on the Luna-Tics

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 8th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Dear Jodi,

I am sorry for your Dad’s suffering but I understand the agony he experienced traceable to his service and the isolation that came after. I too have given in on occasion to the deceptive and damaging enticements of alcohol to the detriment of my family. It is very scary. On the other hand, it is to your credit that you persisted in obtaining Masters in Economics. I admire you for what have done. I know it was not easy. I too devoted myself to my studies after I was discharged, finishing my undergraduate degree and then earning a law degree followed by a life of lawyering. Along with the love of my family I believe this is what has gotten me through—but at times just barely, I must admit. I would like to have you as a friend in cyberspace. It is my son Paul who is the Marine, but even though I was Army let me take the liberty of saying Semper Fi. Tom

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 8th, 2020, 7:18 pm

I may have misread this message chain: Jodi, were you in the Airforce? BigBrett, Marines?

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 8th, 2020, 7:27 pm

Tombeur wrote:
February 8th, 2020, 7:18 pm
I may have misread this message chain: Jodi, were you in the Airforce? BigBrett, Marines? Was it Brett then who earned the Masters in Economics? Sorry for getting confused. Would like to be cyber-friend to you both.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

All In A Day's ERG: Team Progress Thru 2.08.2020

Post by Kona2 » February 9th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Image Valentine's Day Challenge starts today !!

The Valentine's Day Challenge is an excellent Challenge for everyone! You have six days to row, ski or bike (double your meters, double your fun) 14 K meters. This "unlocks" your entry into the Concept2- designed Valentines vault...and these are truly unlike anything you could buy. And you're earning them (which is kind of like making your own, only it looks far better than what I could do). If you have to mail these hummers to your special people, better earn your Valentines soonest to allow for the postal transit...

Speaking of earning things, our Concept2 holiday challenge pins for those meeting the 200 K plus meter support of a Concept2 charity, have been arriving at their destinations in the last couple of days. This is exciting! We aren't always sure what we are going to do with them, but we sure want to get them. I believe David A was one who displayed a profile picture showing his compilation of pin trophies from over the years...which was a cool photo. We spend a ton of time on the ergs - and Concept2 figured out the motivation we needed. Forever grateful for the role they play in my world.

MILESTONES...Bragging Rights...Celebrations: wowzer, mates, look at all of these!

4.7 MM Ron
4.3 MM Warnie
2.9 MM Brett
2.85 MM Minnie
1.7 MM Joerg
1.35 MM Kevin ZMc
1.3 MM Doug
1.05 MM Tombeur
950 K Tom R
900 K Zach
200 K Carol
200 K William C

Thanks, everyone, for erging with us!

Keith F 2,244 m ....a double double!
Dave P 4,000 m
Heather 4,028 m
Dan O' 4,415 m
Trevor 4,537 m
Kevin Mc 5,000 m
Teresa G 5,000 m
David T 5,500 m ...a double double!
Tombeur 6,117 m
Jeff D 8,064 m
Johan 10,000 m
Rebecca 10,000 m
K2 10,415 m
Image ImageImageImageImageImage m...one of a kind palindrome!
Howard 11,265 m
Carol 11,451 m ...the erg wheel is busy at this house!
Dennis 13,431 m...a palindrome! And with just 12,124 m to one million, he could earn his Valentine AND his ONE million in one session!
Steve W 13,462 m
Maria L-G 14,000 m
William C 14,119 m
danwho 15,151 m ...a palindrome!
Minnie 16,131 m
Tom R 17,680 m
Danno 18,600 m
Ron 19,691 m ...a palindrome!
Cornel 20,820 m
Image Joerg 23,104 m ... he moons us!
Image Doug 23,698 m ... he moons us, too!
Image Zach 43,485 m ...he full moons us, plus some!
Image Image Brett 52,515 m ...mega...and he moons us...and he earns his Valentines!
Image Warnie 86,138 m ...more mega..he moons us!

Tombeur
500m Poster

Post by Tombeur » February 9th, 2020, 4:09 pm

United States Military Veterans: Another Vantage Point

Joni, Brett, Kona2 and I have exchanged messages on an individual level that have been enjoyable for me. Yet, there is more. It is a matter of concern for everyone and a serious national problem. Shifting from inexpensive comforting words (as stated) and a personal perpective to a more analytical but still emotionally laden community vantage point, here are three metrics for us all to take under advisement and quickly fix. (1) Seven percent of the United States population are veterans; that seven percent makes up thirteen percent of the homeless. (I learned this discomfiting fact a few years ago and the number may be slightly less stark now, but I doubt that there has been any real, material improvement.) (2) A veteran seeking assistance for a service connected injury or condition must obtain a copy of his relevant service records, as one would expect. Even if he/she has a lawyer (which should be rarely necessary in a properly functioning system), it can take up to one year to get those records. Mind you, this is a first step that doesn’t resolve the issue; it is needed to evaluate whether there is a potentially meritorious claim to be pursued. (3) Assume a veteran is successful: she/he is awarded benefits. Sounds good, doesn’t it? Not if it is ten years later, said to be more common than I would have believed possible. Throw this reality into the hopper and words of support sound less like comfort than hypocrisy.

I am grateful to Concept2 for sponsoring the Military Challenge and pleased to be in communion with those on active duty and those whose service has ended. I count myself fortunate to be healthy enough to participate. But for me participation in this challenge does not obscure the disgraceful suffering of so many of my brothers and sisters.

normadelaney
2k Poster

Post by normadelaney » February 10th, 2020, 6:33 am

Tombeur wrote:
February 9th, 2020, 4:09 pm
United States Military Veterans: Another Vantage Point

Joni, Brett, Kona2 and I have exchanged messages on an individual level that have been enjoyable for me. Yet, there is more. It is a matter of concern for everyone and a serious national problem. Shifting from inexpensive comforting words (as stated) and a personal perpective to a more analytical but still emotionally laden community vantage point, here are three metrics for us all to take under advisement and quickly fix. (1) Seven percent of the United States population are veterans; that seven percent makes up thirteen percent of the homeless. (I learned this discomfiting fact a few years ago and the number may be slightly less stark now, but I doubt that there has been any real, material improvement.) (2) A veteran seeking assistance for a service connected injury or condition must obtain a copy of his relevant service records, as one would expect. Even if he/she has a lawyer (which should be rarely necessary in a properly functioning system), it can take up to one year to get those records. Mind you, this is a first step that doesn’t resolve the issue; it is needed to evaluate whether there is a potentially meritorious claim to be pursued. (3) Assume a veteran is successful: she/he is awarded benefits. Sounds good, doesn’t it? Not if it is ten years later, said to be more common than I would have believed possible. Throw this reality into the hopper and words of support sound less like comfort than hypocrisy.

I am grateful to Concept2 for sponsoring the Military Challenge and pleased to be in communion with those on active duty and those whose service has ended. I count myself fortunate to be healthy enough to participate. But for me participation in this challenge does not obscure the disgraceful suffering of so many of my brothers and sisters.
So, Tom, what's the best way to help?
And to all our Veterans, thank you for your service.

Kona2
Marathon Poster

Post by Kona2 » February 10th, 2020, 10:31 am

BigBrett58 wrote:
February 7th, 2020, 1:07 pm
So, I got the skierg a month ago. After that first workout, I thought I made a thousand dollar mistake. OMG, I thought my heart would explode. The next day, I discovered doing intervals of 250 meters then resting for 20-30 seconds for 2000 meter workouts. I thought it will take years if ever to build up a million meters this way. Then, I bumped up to 500 meter intervals for 2500 and then 5000 meter workouts. Next thing you know, I could do 2500 meters without a break. Now, I'm busting out 10ks like its a warmup. I'm thinking back and trying to figure out where the miraculous improvement came from. Some of it was improvement in form and a better expectation about what the right pace is for me. Most of it was just an improvement in strength and stamina of those muscles in a short amount of time. Last night, I noticed these muscles in my armpit area that weren't there a month ago. All of this is just to say, I'm very glad I got the skierg and didn't give up immediately. Hope this helps someone who is thinking about buying one or got one and gave up too quickly.
I missed this posting initially. Good to go back and browse - especially when we get a flurry of postings. Thanks for the write up, BigBrett. Skierg looks heavy on the upper body workout to me...just as bike erg is all about the legs and cardio. I know your multi-erg workouts give opportunity for every muscle group. Never too late to build muscle!