New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
kini62
2k Poster
Posts: 270
Joined: December 30th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Location: Hawaii

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by kini62 » April 11th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Managed to average above 125m on my 10x 30 secs on 30 secs off for the first time on my Skierg (barely). Average of 126.6m with all reps but the last at 125m or better. Last rep- 124m :oops:
55m, 5'6" 155lbs, rowing and skiing (pseudo) on the Big Island of Hawaii.

mitchel674
2k Poster
Posts: 369
Joined: January 20th, 2015, 4:26 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by mitchel674 » April 17th, 2018, 9:00 am

Just noticed that my first 1000m on my 4x1000m pete plan session was a new PB at 1:57.9. This gives me a boost in my quest to row 2k in less than 8 minutes with all four intervals below 2:00 last night.
53yo male, 6ft, 162lbs

mdpfirrman
10k Poster
Posts: 1566
Joined: January 23rd, 2015, 4:03 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by mdpfirrman » April 17th, 2018, 10:32 am

mitchel674 wrote:Just noticed that my first 1000m on my 4x1000m pete plan session was a new PB at 1:57.9. This gives me a boost in my quest to row 2k in less than 8 minutes with all four intervals below 2:00 last night.
Great work Mitchell! You'll be smashing that soon.
Image

Mike Pfirrman
53 Yrs old, 5' 10" / 185 lbs (177cm/84kg)

User avatar
lancecampeau
2k Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by lancecampeau » April 18th, 2018, 11:39 pm

Shaved 77 seconds off my old PB in the 50K tonight... Could have done better if I had properly prepared for it.... In reality, I'm just happy to have finished because I wanted to give up SO many times during this piece, it was extremely difficult. As you can see by the splits... I front loaded the effort so I could take a full 90 second break at 25km then cruise a bit in the second half... This technique helped bring me a respectable PB in the marathon a few weeks ago as well...
Image
Male, 44, 6ft / 228 lbs, 183cm / 104 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1350
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » April 19th, 2018, 3:03 am

lancecampeau wrote:Shaved 77 seconds off my old PB in the 50K tonight... Could have done better if I had properly prepared for it.... In reality, I'm just happy to have finished because I wanted to give up SO many times during this piece, it was extremely difficult. As you can see by the splits... I front loaded the effort so I could take a full 90 second break at 25km then cruise a bit in the second half... This technique helped bring me a respectable PB in the marathon a few weeks ago as well...
Image
Great going Lance. I know far too well what that feeling of wanting to give up on a really long session feels like, so that makes it even better that you persevered and got a PB too. It's occasions like this that give you some very valuable physical and mental benefits

On my 100km I stopped about 12 times, ready to quit, and at one point I lay on the floor and started laughing at the stupidity of my challenge and then jumped up and carried on.
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

Steve W
2k Poster
Posts: 243
Joined: January 21st, 2015, 12:50 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Steve W » April 19th, 2018, 6:12 am

lancecampeau wrote:Shaved 77 seconds off my old PB in the 50K tonight... Could have done better if I had properly prepared for it.... In reality, I'm just happy to have finished because I wanted to give up SO many times during this piece, it was extremely difficult. As you can see by the splits... I front loaded the effort so I could take a full 90 second break at 25km then cruise a bit in the second half... This technique helped bring me a respectable PB in the marathon a few weeks ago as well...
Image
Well done, Lance. 50k is my next step up, both erg & skierg. Got a chuckle out of getting off 12 times on the 100k! Sometimes think it's better to just go for a long goal on the day rather than fret about it for weeks. Great time, effort & pacing. Relatively even but negative splits seem to work better for me so slightly different styles. Have not rowed / erged the 100k yet but have run it a couple of times, so not afraid but am respectful...Great job and will reference this prior to my try within the next couple of weeks.
63yo, 62kg, Erg 500m, 1:58.6; 1k; 2k 8:04; 5k 20:46; 30min 7096m; 10k 43:49; 1 hour 13578m; half marathon, 1:37:49; marathon, 3:36:47
Skierg 2K 9:10; 5k 24:30; 30 min 6075m; 10k 49:56.5; 1hr 11776m; half marathon, 1:52:43.2; skierg marathon, 4:04:14.

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1350
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » April 19th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Steve W wrote: Sometimes think it's better to just go for a long goal on the day rather than fret about it for weeks.
Yep. With something like a 100km you can't just fit it in whenever you want so I had no choice, not least as my 12hr charity challenge was rapidly approaching and I needed to start tapering.

If you're not too bothered about time it's not too bad, at least it wasn't when I did my 12hr session. My 100km day was extremely horrific and the only things that didn't hurt afterwards was my hair and fingernails but I suspect i had over trained leading up to it
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

sam81
Paddler
Posts: 11
Joined: July 24th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by sam81 » April 19th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Had a great January, upping the distance and reducing my times across 6k, 8k and 10k. Mid Feb seemed to pick up a string of bugs and viruses, knocked me out for around 5 weeks. Just starting to pick up again and realised I'd never actively tried a decent 5k time

19.20 / 1.56 / 26bspm

Could deffo do better but reasonably happy with that.

User avatar
lancecampeau
2k Poster
Posts: 223
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by lancecampeau » April 19th, 2018, 10:02 pm

1:56 in the 5K is a hefty effort. Well done!

I suggest trying the following... 6x750m/r1:30 at 1:54 pace. This specific workout really helped me nail down my aerobic capacity for my 1K PB. Its a tough one... but give it a few tries...
Male, 44, 6ft / 228 lbs, 183cm / 104 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

sam81
Paddler
Posts: 11
Joined: July 24th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by sam81 » April 20th, 2018, 9:21 am

lancecampeau wrote:1:56 in the 5K is a hefty effort. Well done!

I suggest trying the following... 6x750m/r1:30 at 1:54 pace. This specific workout really helped me nail down my aerobic capacity for my 1K PB. Its a tough one... but give it a few tries...
Thanks! Funnily enough I was going to ask about a recommended interval workout - i'll give this a try

JerekKruger
6k Poster
Posts: 915
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by JerekKruger » April 20th, 2018, 9:45 am

sam81 wrote:Thanks! Funnily enough I was going to ask about a recommended interval workout - i'll give this a try
For 5k the three "endurance intervals" from the Pete Plan (5x1500m/5r, 4x2000m/5r and 3000m/5r/2500m/5r/2000m) are good, as are any number of similar variations.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

Image

Minimoof123
Paddler
Posts: 31
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 10:01 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Minimoof123 » April 21st, 2018, 9:13 am

2 in one session, 40 ish seconds off my 6k . 22.50.5, (not normally a distance i choose to row)
and then 8 seconds off the 2k to give 7.14.5, nearly at that sub 7 mark!

Keep rowing everyone

22:50.5 6,000m 1:54.2 235 1107 26
4:35.1 1,200m 1:54.6 232 1099 26
4:33.7 2,400m 1:54.0 236 1111 27
4:34.0 3,600m 1:54.1 235 1108 27
4:36.1 4,800m 1:55.0 230 1090 27
4:31.6 6,000m 1:53.1 241 1130 26


Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:14.5 2,000m 1:48.6 273 1238 29
1:24.9 400m 1:46.1 293 1306 28
1:27.5 800m 1:49.3 267 1219 29
1:28.4 1,200m 1:50.5 259 1192 29
1:27.3 1,600m 1:49.1 269 1226 30
1:26.3 2,000m 1:47.8 279 1258 30
Image
47 yr old Male, 6'1, 205lb, rowing for general fitness, proud owner since 2014

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1350
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » April 21st, 2018, 11:02 am

Minimoof123 wrote:2 in one session, 40 ish seconds off my 6k . 22.50.5, (not normally a distance i choose to row)
and then 8 seconds off the 2k to give 7.14.5, nearly at that sub 7 mark!

Keep rowing everyone

22:50.5 6,000m 1:54.2 235 1107 26
4:35.1 1,200m 1:54.6 232 1099 26
4:33.7 2,400m 1:54.0 236 1111 27
4:34.0 3,600m 1:54.1 235 1108 27
4:36.1 4,800m 1:55.0 230 1090 27
4:31.6 6,000m 1:53.1 241 1130 26


Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:14.5 2,000m 1:48.6 273 1238 29
1:24.9 400m 1:46.1 293 1306 28
1:27.5 800m 1:49.3 267 1219 29
1:28.4 1,200m 1:50.5 259 1192 29
1:27.3 1,600m 1:49.1 269 1226 30
1:26.3 2,000m 1:47.8 279 1258 30

Great effort. Two in one sounds to me like you have got more to give as well. Maybe slow it down a little bit in the first 400m as it looks like that wounded you a bit
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

david.kula
Paddler
Posts: 16
Joined: April 18th, 2018, 3:49 pm
Location: Sudbury, MA

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by david.kula » April 21st, 2018, 2:17 pm

Six weeks in - first 2000m test. Was targeting sub 8m and got 7:52.4.
Built a 9 week training program to work on it!
M48 / 5'10" / 187lb / Sudbury, MA, USA / 2k: 07:42.9 / 5k: 20.11.1

Minimoof123
Paddler
Posts: 31
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 10:01 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Minimoof123 » April 21st, 2018, 4:13 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
Minimoof123 wrote:2 in one session, 40 ish seconds off my 6k . 22.50.5, (not normally a distance i choose to row)
and then 8 seconds off the 2k to give 7.14.5, nearly at that sub 7 mark!

Keep rowing everyone

22:50.5 6,000m 1:54.2 235 1107 26
4:35.1 1,200m 1:54.6 232 1099 26
4:33.7 2,400m 1:54.0 236 1111 27
4:34.0 3,600m 1:54.1 235 1108 27
4:36.1 4,800m 1:55.0 230 1090 27
4:31.6 6,000m 1:53.1 241 1130 26


Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:14.5 2,000m 1:48.6 273 1238 29
1:24.9 400m 1:46.1 293 1306 28
1:27.5 800m 1:49.3 267 1219 29
1:28.4 1,200m 1:50.5 259 1192 29
1:27.3 1,600m 1:49.1 269 1226 30
1:26.3 2,000m 1:47.8 279 1258 30

Great effort. Two in one sounds to me like you have got more to give as well. Maybe slow it down a little bit in the first 400m as it looks like that wounded you a bit

Stu was, thanks, I always used to go out and re row against the pace boat, try not to do that so much now after reading so many comments on here, I do look at some of your times / distances and think omg ! (Ps not sure how this quote button works so hope I done it right)
Image
47 yr old Male, 6'1, 205lb, rowing for general fitness, proud owner since 2014

Post Reply