90 Days To Drop 6k

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Post Reply
thejosephwilbur
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm

90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by thejosephwilbur » May 16th, 2018, 9:26 am

So I have roughly 90 days (start of june to end of august) to get my 6k time down. Any workout plans out there that would help me drop time specifcally off my 6k? (I assume any plan that gets me faster on the 6k would also help with 10k, 5k, and even 2k, but the focus would be a fast 6k). Would things like the Alex Krupp LW Plan work?

User avatar
gregsmith01748
10k Poster
Posts: 1307
Joined: January 8th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Location: Hopkinton, MA

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by gregsmith01748 » May 16th, 2018, 10:21 am

I suggest you look at the Pete 5K plan. It's well organized and the time frames match your window.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/
Greg
Age: 55 H: 182cm W: 90Kg
Image

thejosephwilbur
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by thejosephwilbur » May 16th, 2018, 10:44 am

gregsmith01748 wrote:I suggest you look at the Pete 5K plan. It's well organized and the time frames match your window.

https://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/5k-training/
Thanks!

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1223
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by Dangerscouse » May 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm

Can you let us know the following for us to be able to help:

Age
Weight
Current fitness level / how long have you been rowing for
Current 6k time
Anticipated 6k time
Current 2k time
Current 10k time

The most important is your 6k goal and where you are right now as they will have a massive bearing on what you can potentially achieve. 90 days is quite a long time but it will also be important in how hard you are willing to push yourself; there will be pain and lots of sweat
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,242m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4287
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by jackarabit » May 16th, 2018, 1:39 pm

Handle familiar, Stu. Biological passport here—->viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156586&p=407297#p407297
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

thejosephwilbur
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by thejosephwilbur » May 16th, 2018, 6:58 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:Can you let us know the following for us to be able to help:

Age
Weight
Current fitness level / how long have you been rowing for
Current 6k time
Anticipated 6k time
Current 2k time
Current 10k time

The most important is your 6k goal and where you are right now as they will have a massive bearing on what you can potentially achieve. 90 days is quite a long time but it will also be important in how hard you are willing to push yourself; there will be pain and lots of sweat

Age: 16
Weight: 155
Current fitness level / how long have you been rowing for: 2 years
Current 6k time: no accurate 6k time, my 30 minute piece split is 1:53 so my 6k should be definitely faster than that as it's 2k meters shorter
Anticipated 6k time: sub 1:47
Current 2k time: 6:50 (not accurate, been a while since I tested)
Current 10k time: split: 1:55

thejosephwilbur
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: March 20th, 2017, 6:16 pm

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by thejosephwilbur » May 16th, 2018, 6:59 pm

jackarabit wrote:Handle familiar, Stu. Biological passport here—->viewtopic.php?f=3&t=156586&p=407297#p407297
That's about a year old, but thanks :D

Dangerscouse
10k Poster
Posts: 1223
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: 90 Days To Drop 6k

Post by Dangerscouse » May 17th, 2018, 3:52 am

Getting down to 1:47 will be challenging to say the least. You're not that heavy and you're still growing as you're only 16 and I know what you mean regarding your 30 mins PB, but there's a big difference in fitness required to drop 6 secs in average pace.

My gut feeling is you will be getting closer to 1:49ish but I hope you prove me wrong.

Try a Just Row session at 1:50 pace and see how far you can go. This should be a good marker to see where you are at the moment.
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,242m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

Post Reply