Should I be doing rest meters?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Post Reply
User avatar
sarequads
Paddler
Posts: 33
Joined: April 11th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Location: Scotland

Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by sarequads » August 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm

4x10’UT1 2:14.0 132-150 20-24.

I got this from a concept2 book. It doesn't mention what to do during the rest period and how much rest although elsewhere in the book it states that your hr should be down to recovered which concept2 defines as 2x resting heart rate. So I just make my rest periods what I think ill be rested by, typically its correct but during the rest period I'm getting up off the machine and just keep myself moving then hop back on when the timer is down. Should I be looking to recover while rowing in the rest period?
Low pull 1:22:0 100m 0:17.7 1' 312m 500m 1:36.1 1k 3:44.1 4' 1017m 2k 7:35.6 5k 20:53.2 6k 25:50.5 30' 7034m 10k 43:03.6 hm 1:46:28.1
170cm
75kg
30yo

KeithT
6k Poster
Posts: 688
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by KeithT » August 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Any time I do a interval workout I actually rest during the rest period - as in I do nothing but sit there and try to catch my breathe and maybe drink some water. I know others like to do a super light paddle during rest and that prob works fine too but I prefer to rest especially if doing intense intervals where I am begging for every second of rest.
51 yo, 6'3" 207#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.8, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.9, 5K - 17:27, 30 min - 8277m, 10K - 36:30, 60 min - 16036, HM - 1:20:22

StrengthCoachWill
500m Poster
Posts: 66
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:18 am
Location: Barre, VT
Contact:

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by StrengthCoachWill » August 13th, 2019, 4:07 pm

sarequads wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm
4x10’UT1 2:14.0 132-150 20-24.

I got this from a concept2 book. It doesn't mention what to do during the rest period and how much rest although elsewhere in the book it states that your hr should be down to recovered which concept2 defines as 2x resting heart rate. So I just make my rest periods what I think ill be rested by, typically its correct but during the rest period I'm getting up off the machine and just keep myself moving then hop back on when the timer is down. Should I be looking to recover while rowing in the rest period?
I like the stand-and-move/stretch rest interval more than I like paddle rest interval for work over 10 minutes.

I'd like to see this tested in research, but it's worth it to me in the meantime: http://www.worldrowing.com/news/back-ca ... nutes-time

If you must "active rest," then walk around. This may still be better for the spine than more erging as active rest.

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2760
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by Dangerscouse » August 13th, 2019, 4:51 pm

KeithT wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:05 pm
Any time I do a interval workout I actually rest during the rest period - as in I do nothing but sit there and try to catch my breathe and maybe drink some water. I know others like to do a super light paddle during rest and that prob works fine too but I prefer to rest especially if doing intense intervals where I am begging for every second of rest.
Same here. Every second counts in the recovery phase
46 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
sarequads
Paddler
Posts: 33
Joined: April 11th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by sarequads » August 13th, 2019, 4:55 pm

StrengthCoachWill wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 4:07 pm
sarequads wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 3:46 pm
4x10’UT1 2:14.0 132-150 20-24.

I got this from a concept2 book. It doesn't mention what to do during the rest period and how much rest although elsewhere in the book it states that your hr should be down to recovered which concept2 defines as 2x resting heart rate. So I just make my rest periods what I think ill be rested by, typically its correct but during the rest period I'm getting up off the machine and just keep myself moving then hop back on when the timer is down. Should I be looking to recover while rowing in the rest period?
I like the stand-and-move/stretch rest interval more than I like paddle rest interval for work over 10 minutes.

I'd like to see this tested in research, but it's worth it to me in the meantime: http://www.worldrowing.com/news/back-ca ... nutes-time

If you must "active rest," then walk around. This may still be better for the spine than more erging as active rest.
That was a super interesting read! I find that after a rowing session of almost any length, if I do a passive hang from a pull-up bar I can actually feel and hear every vertebrae crack. It feels amazing and actually feels necessary.
Low pull 1:22:0 100m 0:17.7 1' 312m 500m 1:36.1 1k 3:44.1 4' 1017m 2k 7:35.6 5k 20:53.2 6k 25:50.5 30' 7034m 10k 43:03.6 hm 1:46:28.1
170cm
75kg
30yo

User avatar
Ombrax
6k Poster
Posts: 607
Joined: April 20th, 2013, 2:05 am
Location: St Louis, MO

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by Ombrax » August 13th, 2019, 9:53 pm

I believe "active rest" where you just paddle at very low effort is good to help your muscles recover and prepare for the next interval. Something about continuing blood flow and helping the muscles flush out waste. I read that just recently, but don't remember all the details.

Tim huges
1k Poster
Posts: 174
Joined: July 7th, 2019, 5:24 am

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by Tim huges » August 14th, 2019, 5:34 am

I feel like i can get going again much better if i row between sets. I find it doesnt help me at all to sit and be still, not sure of the science but i feel it speeds up the process of removing lactic acid etc. The actual recovery row i do is so light it isnt the least bit demanding, infact its almost soothing to me. Its more about keeping moving than any sort of meaningfull/technical stroke...even putting the handle down and slowly driving legs back and forth is enough for me, wiping sweat and drinking without stopping. When there is 30sec rest to go i will strengthen the stroke.

I must admit it feels somewhat instinctive to completely stop and catch my breath and i sometimes have...as long as i get some active recovery in at some point during the rest period. So with a 3m30sec rest i might row light for the 1st minute and then completely stop for a minute, pick up the handle again and then row light until the next interval.
34yrs 6ft 250lbs England
Started Jan 2019
500m 1:31.6
2k 6:41.0
10k 37:34
HM 1:28:58

KEEP CALM AND 30R20

User avatar
lancecampeau
2k Poster
Posts: 407
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: Should I be doing rest meters?

Post by lancecampeau » August 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

I always paddle during the rest period. Effort level is about 3:00 / 60w
Male, 45, 6ft / 241 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Post Reply