New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2467
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » September 8th, 2019, 7:06 am

philjoakley wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am
New 1k PB with 3.19.1

Managed to do negative splits:

1.40.5
1.38.6

Pretty pleased and encouraged by this.
Yes Phil, you should be encouraged by this. Hard work pays off
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

philjoakley
Paddler
Posts: 39
Joined: August 5th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by philjoakley » September 8th, 2019, 7:07 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:06 am
philjoakley wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am
New 1k PB with 3.19.1

Managed to do negative splits:

1.40.5
1.38.6

Pretty pleased and encouraged by this.
Yes Phil, you should be encouraged by this. Hard work pays off
Thank you.
Age: 47 Height: 6ft 4 ins: HWT PB: 1000:3:19.1 2000:6:59.3 5000: 18:51 Started rowing in June 2019

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2467
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » September 8th, 2019, 7:11 am

bobtherower wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:36 am

This might sound super weird, but i actually didnt plan on breaking my 10k PB this morning. Wanted to row some "easy" 10k, but after about 2km i realized: "Hm.. your pace is really good. See if you can beat your PB." (thats why the first 2km were quite slow in comparison to the other 8km). :?

Will do some work on the shorter distances :)
Tbh, it isn't weird at all. I remember once, before I had my own erg, I almost turned the car around when I was about 500m away from the gym as I was convinced it was going to be a total disaster and I was too tired / lethargic. I can't remember what session i did, but I do know that it was a really good one and, if it wasn't a PB, it may have been a SB

Sometimes the best sessions are the days you wanted to stay in bed or make other excuses. It has happened to me quite a lot over the years and you don't seem to have anyway of knowing until you start rowing and it just feels quite easy and you're brimming with energy
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

KeithT
5k Poster
Posts: 550
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by KeithT » September 9th, 2019, 9:50 am

bobtherower wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 3:28 am
On some days, everything just works out. New PB for 10.000m.

About a year ago, i managed to row 10k in less than 40 minutes for the first time.
PB of June 2019 was 37:50.4.
Managed 36:58.1 today. After finishing, it took me a few minutes to remember my name and where i was.

Image
Wow, this is impressive, keep up the good work!
51 yo, 6'3" 207#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:23.2, 1K - 2:59.8, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.9, 5K - 17:27, 30 min - 8277m, 10K - 36:30, 60 min - 16036, HM - 1:20:22

KeithT
5k Poster
Posts: 550
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by KeithT » September 9th, 2019, 9:52 am

philjoakley wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am
New 1k PB with 3.19.1

Managed to do negative splits:

1.40.5
1.38.6

Pretty pleased and encouraged by this.
Any improvement in the 1K is a lot and you took a ton of time off - very promising and you also had a 2 second negative split so prob even have some more in you.
51 yo, 6'3" 207#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:23.2, 1K - 2:59.8, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.9, 5K - 17:27, 30 min - 8277m, 10K - 36:30, 60 min - 16036, HM - 1:20:22

philjoakley
Paddler
Posts: 39
Joined: August 5th, 2019, 1:01 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by philjoakley » September 9th, 2019, 10:26 am

KeithT wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:52 am
philjoakley wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am
New 1k PB with 3.19.1

Managed to do negative splits:

1.40.5
1.38.6

Pretty pleased and encouraged by this.
Any improvement in the 1K is a lot and you took a ton of time off - very promising and you also had a 2 second negative split so prob even have some more in you.
Thanks Keith. Am enjoying it.
Age: 47 Height: 6ft 4 ins: HWT PB: 1000:3:19.1 2000:6:59.3 5000: 18:51 Started rowing in June 2019

Sander1989
Paddler
Posts: 13
Joined: July 18th, 2019, 3:24 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Sander1989 » September 11th, 2019, 5:38 am

Week 6 day 2 BPP, was going for the 2k intervals. First interval started quite good, so I decided to keep the pace. Ended up doing 7:57,7 for the first 2k interval, and the two next intervals at my previous PB of 2.06,5/500m

I started the plan wanting to do a 2k sub 8 minutes, which I already have now. Next goal will be sub 7:30 :)

max_ratcliffe
2k Poster
Posts: 204
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by max_ratcliffe » September 11th, 2019, 6:18 am

Sander1989 wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:38 am
Week 6 day 2 BPP, was going for the 2k intervals. First interval started quite good, so I decided to keep the pace. Ended up doing 7:57,7 for the first 2k interval, and the two next intervals at my previous PB of 2.06,5/500m

I started the plan wanting to do a 2k sub 8 minutes, which I already have now. Next goal will be sub 7:30 :)
Outstanding, congratulations.
48yo, 87kg, Pom living in Adelaide. PBs: 2k=7:34.7; 5k=19:44; 10k=42:13; 60min=14112m; HM=1:31.44

User avatar
winniewinser
1k Poster
Posts: 102
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: Horsham, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by winniewinser » September 11th, 2019, 7:22 am

philjoakley wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am
New 1k PB with 3.19.1

Managed to do negative splits:

1.40.5
1.38.6

Pretty pleased and encouraged by this.
Nice one Phil...great progress!
78kg, 6"2" Male, 1972, 1km=3:30.6, 2km=7:16.2, 5km=18:36.9, 10km=39:27, 60' 14,516m
Goals - sub 7:00 2km, sub 18:30 5km, sub 39:00 10km (and have a crack at HM & FM)

KeithT
5k Poster
Posts: 550
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by KeithT » September 11th, 2019, 8:26 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 7:11 am
bobtherower wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:36 am

This might sound super weird, but i actually didnt plan on breaking my 10k PB this morning. Wanted to row some "easy" 10k, but after about 2km i realized: "Hm.. your pace is really good. See if you can beat your PB." (thats why the first 2km were quite slow in comparison to the other 8km). :?

Will do some work on the shorter distances :)
Tbh, it isn't weird at all. I remember once, before I had my own erg, I almost turned the car around when I was about 500m away from the gym as I was convinced it was going to be a total disaster and I was too tired / lethargic. I can't remember what session i did, but I do know that it was a really good one and, if it wasn't a PB, it may have been a SB

Sometimes the best sessions are the days you wanted to stay in bed or make other excuses. It has happened to me quite a lot over the years and you don't seem to have anyway of knowing until you start rowing and it just feels quite easy and you're brimming with energy
I second what Stu said - I have had many PBs and great workouts on days I didn't plan it and felt like I would struggle. On the other hand I have had days where I felt rested and ready to crush it and did bad. You just never know exactly how your body/mind will respond some days.
51 yo, 6'3" 207#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:23.2, 1K - 2:59.8, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.9, 5K - 17:27, 30 min - 8277m, 10K - 36:30, 60 min - 16036, HM - 1:20:22

User avatar
jimmyshand
2k Poster
Posts: 353
Joined: April 2nd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by jimmyshand » September 11th, 2019, 10:30 am

bob - incredible, well done! Might even have to get back in the saddle for a 10k PB attempt myself soon. That's a brutal pace you maintained and nasty final split.

phil - fantastic 1k. Always good to get it in the bag and the 1k is no laughing matter.
42 years old - 97kg/214lbs - 198cm/6'6" - I live in England

PBs -
1k 3:15.6 | 2k 6:51.4 | 5k 18:19.4 | 30min 8,016m | 10k 37:53.6 | 60min 15,254m | HM 1:25:38.4

Rowing since March 2017. Real name is Alasdair.

User avatar
sarequads
Paddler
Posts: 28
Joined: April 11th, 2019, 5:38 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by sarequads » September 11th, 2019, 6:34 pm

been training properly training since april. Got my 2k from 8:00 to 7:35.6. Hit some other pbs last week too such as 500 from 1:45 to 1:36.1. I was so happy with my 2k time i wanted to shout from the rooftops so thought this was the next best place.
Low pull 1:24:0 100m 0:17.7 1' 312m 500m 1:36.1 1k 3:44.1 4' 1017m 2k 7:35.6 5k 20:53.2 6k 25:50.5 30' 7034m 10k 43:03.6 hm 1:46:28.1
170cm
75kg
30yo

max_ratcliffe
2k Poster
Posts: 204
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by max_ratcliffe » September 11th, 2019, 7:45 pm

sarequads wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 6:34 pm
been training properly training since april. Got my 2k from 8:00 to 7:35.6. Hit some other pbs last week too such as 500 from 1:45 to 1:36.1. I was so happy with my 2k time i wanted to shout from the rooftops so thought this was the next best place.
Congratulations on both of these PBs.
48yo, 87kg, Pom living in Adelaide. PBs: 2k=7:34.7; 5k=19:44; 10k=42:13; 60min=14112m; HM=1:31.44

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4804
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by jackarabit » September 11th, 2019, 7:56 pm

sarequads wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 6:34 pm
been training properly training since april. Got my 2k from 8:00 to 7:35.6. Hit some other pbs last week too such as 500 from 1:45 to 1:36.1. I was so happy with my 2k time i wanted to shout from the rooftops so thought this was the next best place.
Solid progress in less than 6 mo. Chapeau! Plenty of speed on the short stuff. Are you doing the CTC with the Flyers as well as the fall meters challenge?
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2467
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » September 12th, 2019, 12:39 am

sarequads wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 6:34 pm
been training properly training since april. Got my 2k from 8:00 to 7:35.6. Hit some other pbs last week too such as 500 from 1:45 to 1:36.1. I was so happy with my 2k time i wanted to shout from the rooftops so thought this was the next best place.
Great effort on both PBs. Well done
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Post Reply