Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
dknickerbocker
Paddler
Posts: 12
Joined: November 1st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Re: Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

Post by dknickerbocker » November 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm

Will, do you like to have your rowers pair up squats and deadlifts so that htey do both on teh same day? Or do you have them follow more of a weightlifting-style split where squats and deadlifts are on separate days?
Age: 36. Weight: 72kg ht: 5'10"
5K: 19:21. 10K: 41:42. 30min: 7,518

StrengthCoachWill
500m Poster
Posts: 66
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:18 am
Location: Barre, VT
Contact:

Re: Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

Post by StrengthCoachWill » November 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm

dknickerbocker wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Will, do you like to have your rowers pair up squats and deadlifts so that htey do both on teh same day? Or do you have them follow more of a weightlifting-style split where squats and deadlifts are on separate days?
Depends on the time of year and how much time I have with the team/rower. Most of the year, my pattern for main work is Day 1 overhead/squat, Day 2 deadlift. But, if the schedule gets pushed around, or we're on a regatta week only training once a week, I'll certainly consider using squats as a "warmup" for deadlifts, or do something like deadlifts followed by higher rep single-leg squats, to get the work in that we need to get in. You can check out the sample programs I have on my website for more examples based on time of year.

dknickerbocker
Paddler
Posts: 12
Joined: November 1st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Re: Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

Post by dknickerbocker » November 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm

StrengthCoachWill wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 4:53 pm
dknickerbocker wrote:
November 7th, 2019, 6:34 pm
Will, do you like to have your rowers pair up squats and deadlifts so that htey do both on teh same day? Or do you have them follow more of a weightlifting-style split where squats and deadlifts are on separate days?
Depends on the time of year and how much time I have with the team/rower. Most of the year, my pattern for main work is Day 1 overhead/squat, Day 2 deadlift. But, if the schedule gets pushed around, or we're on a regatta week only training once a week, I'll certainly consider using squats as a "warmup" for deadlifts, or do something like deadlifts followed by higher rep single-leg squats, to get the work in that we need to get in. You can check out the sample programs I have on my website for more examples based on time of year.
Cool. Thanks!

I just try to split it up so that i'm not spending all that time in the gym, given work schedules and what have you. I find that if I do more but shorter sessions it's easier to fit in alongside work and other trainings, but if i try to pile up squats on top of deadlifts, it not only increases how taxing it is but also can make the sessions kind of long.

When you do split them up into two days, do yo ualso flip flop accessories? Like squat + a deadlift accessory (like RDL) on day 1, deadlift + squat variation (like front squat) on day 2?
Age: 36. Weight: 72kg ht: 5'10"
5K: 19:21. 10K: 41:42. 30min: 7,518

StrengthCoachWill
500m Poster
Posts: 66
Joined: June 19th, 2018, 12:18 am
Location: Barre, VT
Contact:

Re: Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

Post by StrengthCoachWill » November 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm

dknickerbocker wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm
I just try to split it up so that i'm not spending all that time in the gym, given work schedules and what have you. I find that if I do more but shorter sessions it's easier to fit in alongside work and other trainings, but if i try to pile up squats on top of deadlifts, it not only increases how taxing it is but also can make the sessions kind of long.

When you do split them up into two days, do yo ualso flip flop accessories? Like squat + a deadlift accessory (like RDL) on day 1, deadlift + squat variation (like front squat) on day 2?
We had 75 minutes twice a week allotted when I was coaching the college team. That's start of warmups to gym door closed, for a team of 30. With smaller groups, we'd often be done in 60 mins due to not having to coordinate equipment use. Many of my masters clients training by themselves report that they're down to 45 mins (2-3x/wk sessions). It really should be pretty expedient if you've got a plan and are moving through it with purpose.

Re: assistance work, yes. I like variety in training, so long as we know why we're using an exercise and how to perform it well. I will often use single-limb work for the variation, too, as that's a lost element of motor coordination for many rowers that we can use strength training to regain.

dknickerbocker
Paddler
Posts: 12
Joined: November 1st, 2019, 1:10 pm

Re: Trap / Hex bars for deadlifting

Post by dknickerbocker » November 8th, 2019, 8:15 pm

StrengthCoachWill wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 6:16 pm
dknickerbocker wrote:
November 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm
I just try to split it up so that i'm not spending all that time in the gym, given work schedules and what have you. I find that if I do more but shorter sessions it's easier to fit in alongside work and other trainings, but if i try to pile up squats on top of deadlifts, it not only increases how taxing it is but also can make the sessions kind of long.

When you do split them up into two days, do yo ualso flip flop accessories? Like squat + a deadlift accessory (like RDL) on day 1, deadlift + squat variation (like front squat) on day 2?
We had 75 minutes twice a week allotted when I was coaching the college team. That's start of warmups to gym door closed, for a team of 30. With smaller groups, we'd often be done in 60 mins due to not having to coordinate equipment use. Many of my masters clients training by themselves report that they're down to 45 mins (2-3x/wk sessions). It really should be pretty expedient if you've got a plan and are moving through it with purpose.

Re: assistance work, yes. I like variety in training, so long as we know why we're using an exercise and how to perform it well. I will often use single-limb work for the variation, too, as that's a lost element of motor coordination for many rowers that we can use strength training to regain.
got it. Thanks for your perspective! I'm sure with a plan i could get through a lot too, I am just taking it step by step. I used to do only bodyweight exercises and exercises like lunges and split squats, but since i actually started squatting and deadlifting i have gotten much, much stronger. So, as a result, i'm focusing on the compound lifts, low reps high weight because i think max strength is my main limiter in this respect (e.g., I can deadlift 225 10x off of deadstop but my 1 rep max is probably no higher than 250). Every time i try to add in all of the lift varieties, I end up overdoing it and get set back rather than forward. But i will start adding htem in little by little.

Thanks again!
Age: 36. Weight: 72kg ht: 5'10"
5K: 19:21. 10K: 41:42. 30min: 7,518

Post Reply