What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
flatbread
500m Poster
Posts: 78
Joined: June 25th, 2020, 7:33 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by flatbread » October 17th, 2020, 10:34 am

Friday was 22k easy, 90min.

Sat AM:

second UT1 workout for this year -- stretched the intervals out to 20min

1:00:02.0 15,038m 1:59.7 204 1001 21 130
5:00.0 1,217m 2:03.2 187 943 19 124
5:00.0 1,261m 1:58.9 208 1015 21 124
5:00.0 1,289m 1:56.3 222 1064 22 130
5:00.0 1,298m 1:55.5 227 1080 22 134
5:00.0 1,300m 1:55.3 228 1084 22 137
5:00.0 1,298m 1:55.5 227 1080 22 132
5:00.0 1,134m 2:12.2 151 820 17 123
5:00.0 1,285m 1:56.7 220 1057 22 134
5:00.0 1,287m 1:56.5 221 1060 22 134
5:00.0 1,291m 1:56.1 223 1067 23 135
5:00.0 1,295m 1:55.8 225 1075 23 133
5:02.0 1,082m 2:19.5 129 743 16 114

I'll get out this afternoon on the bike and look at the leaves for a couple of hours
54, 1m84, 75kg

HowardF
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: September 2nd, 2020, 10:30 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by HowardF » October 17th, 2020, 11:29 am

5 Km running in AT and TR sone. Do see improvements since i started rowing :D
50 years, 183 cm, 94 kg, Norway

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4579
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » October 17th, 2020, 11:35 am

faach1 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:31 am
1k Prep session:

6x250m/45s r @ 2k pace. R30, very easy to reach this split today, just going in gradually. Should I be basing my target split for these kind of sessions from 2k Pb (very recent) or 500m Pb (not so recent) ?
I always think you're better off using the most recent, and slightly longer distance. I think that there is a fairly notable difference between 500m and 1k, so using the 2k pace is more useful, and you can adjust it if you find it easy.

Is 6 x 250m specified in your programme? Personally I wouldn't use them for 1k training. 500m would be as low as I'd want to go
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
ampire
2k Poster
Posts: 300
Joined: October 28th, 2017, 7:11 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by ampire » October 17th, 2020, 12:15 pm

I felt like training my power a bit more today. Great stress relief for an otherwise stressful week.
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
20:55.5 5,000m 2:05.5 177 908 21
4:13.7 1,000m 2:06.8 171 890 21
4:12.7 2,000m 2:06.3 174 897 21
4:10.9 3,000m 2:05.4 177 910 21
4:09.8 4,000m 2:04.9 180 918 21
4:08.4 5,000m 2:04.2 183 928 21
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
20:35.3 5,000m 2:03.5 186 939 22
4:12.3 1,000m 2:06.1 174 900 22
4:10.6 2,000m 2:05.3 178 912 22
4:07.7 3,000m 2:03.8 184 934 22
4:03.7 4,000m 2:01.8 193 965 22
4:00.9 5,000m 2:00.4 200 989 23
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR~192BPM|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

User avatar
jimmyshand
2k Poster
Posts: 467
Joined: April 2nd, 2017, 3:53 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by jimmyshand » October 17th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Half Marathon today - medium pace for me, first half mostly UT2 then second half UT1. 1:28:39.5 / 2:06.0.

This was the 14th HM I've done and today was just because I was low on metres for the week. DF was 106, stroke rate 19.
43 years old - 198cm/6'6" - England

PBs -
1k 3:15.4 (Jun 2020) | 2k 6:51.4 (Feb 2019) | 5k 18:16.9 (Oct 2019) | 30min 8,016m (Apr 2019) | 10k 37:53.6 (May 2019) | 60min 15,254m (Apr 2019) | HM 1:25:38.4 (Apr 2019)

Rowing since March 2017. Real name is Alasdair.

WIghtsculler
Paddler
Posts: 18
Joined: February 19th, 2020, 5:33 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by WIghtsculler » October 17th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Not on the erg for a couple of days. My first competitive row (scull) for over 28 years today. Only a time trial over 1000m, so like a mini head race. All the tech things I've been working on over recent weeks to fix my dubious technique went out the window. It was mainly kids and juniors out there and a couple of other masters like myself in a double scull, One of the double is a relative novice. Beaten by a junior coxed four and also by the double scull (by just one second). Great to be competing on the water again but it was frustrating that all the technical points I have been working on flew out of my head at the start, and it was not possible for me to get my erg watts down due to my suspect technique....... When you put an erg on water it sinks to the bottom!

Great day though!
49 year old. Started rowing again in 2019 after 27 years off the water. 88 kg . 6'1". PB 2000m 6.45. PB 30 @20 8074m PB. Still working to get over my allergy to longer rows on the C2.

User avatar
lancecampeau
6k Poster
Posts: 600
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lancecampeau » October 17th, 2020, 5:42 pm

30 min / monitor up

7285m / 2:04.0 / DF 110 / r22 / 184w / SPI 8.36

just went with how my body was feeling... disappointed with these numbers... it felt like a lot more.
Male, 46, 6ft / 240 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

MPx
5k Poster
Posts: 526
Joined: October 30th, 2016, 1:38 pm
Location: Somerset, UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MPx » October 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:35 am
faach1 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:31 am
1k Prep session:

6x250m/45s r @ 2k pace. R30, very easy to reach this split today, just going in gradually. Should I be basing my target split for these kind of sessions from 2k Pb (very recent) or 500m Pb (not so recent) ?
I always think you're better off using the most recent, and slightly longer distance. I think that there is a fairly notable difference between 500m and 1k, so using the 2k pace is more useful, and you can adjust it if you find it easy.

Is 6 x 250m specified in your programme? Personally I wouldn't use them for 1k training. 500m would be as low as I'd want to go
Agree with the training effect Stu, but I do the 250s as well as its an interval I can do faster than my 1k pace. I cant get a 500 interval set down to 1k TT pace. Always gives me comfort to have seen lower numbers on the PM when I have to try to believe that I can keep this going for more than 3 mins!
Mike - 63 HWT 183

Image

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » October 17th, 2020, 7:49 pm

MPx wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Dangerscouse wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 11:35 am
faach1 wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 10:31 am
1k Prep session:

6x250m/45s r @ 2k pace. R30, very easy to reach this split today, just going in gradually. Should I be basing my target split for these kind of sessions from 2k Pb (very recent) or 500m Pb (not so recent) ?
I always think you're better off using the most recent, and slightly longer distance. I think that there is a fairly notable difference between 500m and 1k, so using the 2k pace is more useful, and you can adjust it if you find it easy.

Is 6 x 250m specified in your programme? Personally I wouldn't use them for 1k training. 500m would be as low as I'd want to go
Agree with the training effect Stu, but I do the 250s as well as its an interval I can do faster than my 1k pace. I cant get a 500 interval set down to 1k TT pace. Always gives me comfort to have seen lower numbers on the PM when I have to try to believe that I can keep this going for more than 3 mins!
I checked back when I was doing 1k prep. I did four interval sessions, two per week in rotation. They were:

4x750 4'r
6x250 2'r

6x500 3'r
6x1'on/1'off

The point of the 250s for me was to go a lot faster than my target for the 1k and also at a much higher rate (about 1k-6, rates: 1k at 35spm, 250s at 41spm). I certainly think there's a place for these as they really allow you to go pretty quick.

On 45s rest, these are more like the 1'on/1'off that I did. That's a complete lactic acid bath, and more about teaching yourself to hold on despite feeling quite sick towards the end. I did these at 35spm, and about 1k-2.

Unless you're very disciplined though, I think it's difficult to settle to a target pace and managing a negative split over the 6 reps is hard, as they're so short that there's no time really to correct if you go out too quickly. For the same reason, it's also hard to plan a progression over several weeks.
49yo, 82kg
PBs: 1'=328m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46

2020 goals:
1k - sub 3:30; 30' > 7500m; 60' > 14600m; HM sub 1:29.00
2k - sub 7:15; 5k - sub 19:20; 10k - sub 40:00;

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » October 17th, 2020, 7:56 pm

Tandstad wrote:
October 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm
Friday night power 10k:

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
37:57.4 10,000m 1:53.8 237 1115 17
7:53.2 2,000m 1:58.3 211 1027 18
7:41.7 4,000m 1:55.4 228 1083 16
7:34.2 6,000m 1:53.5 239 1122 16
7:29.9 8,000m 1:52.4 246 1146 17
7:18.4 10,000m 1:49.6 266 1214 17
Looks like an absolutely brutal workout Jo Andre. Whenever I do high SPI workouts (nothing like 15SPI, though :wink: ), they always leave me feeling pretty sore - not something I can do frequently.
49yo, 82kg
PBs: 1'=328m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46

2020 goals:
1k - sub 3:30; 30' > 7500m; 60' > 14600m; HM sub 1:29.00
2k - sub 7:15; 5k - sub 19:20; 10k - sub 40:00;

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » October 17th, 2020, 8:04 pm

winniewinser wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 1:38 pm
<>
My new erg pal arrived today too 😁

Image
Very cute.

Think the erg is bullet-proof...? Never underestimate the destructive power of small puppies.
49yo, 82kg
PBs: 1'=328m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46

2020 goals:
1k - sub 3:30; 30' > 7500m; 60' > 14600m; HM sub 1:29.00
2k - sub 7:15; 5k - sub 19:20; 10k - sub 40:00;

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3561
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » October 17th, 2020, 9:06 pm

Sunday AM
2k @2:10
10x 500m/2'R @1:47.5
df128 sr30 282w mhr161
one @1:46.9/1:48.1
rest @1:47.x
2k @2:12
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

User avatar
lancecampeau
6k Poster
Posts: 600
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lancecampeau » October 17th, 2020, 10:14 pm

lindsayh wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 9:06 pm
Sunday AM
2k @2:10
10x 500m/2'R @1:47.5
df128 sr30 282w mhr161
one @1:46.9/1:48.1
rest @1:47.x
2k @2:12
Your session numbers are always impressive stuff Lindsay... I've got to try a 10x500m but honestly, I would have a hard time matching your pace, even 20+ years younger... The only PB I could catch is your 500m!
Male, 46, 6ft / 240 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4579
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » October 18th, 2020, 1:33 am

MPx wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 6:43 pm
Agree with the training effect Stu, but I do the 250s as well as its an interval I can do faster than my 1k pace. I cant get a 500 interval set down to 1k TT pace. Always gives me comfort to have seen lower numbers on the PM when I have to try to believe that I can keep this going for more than 3 mins!
I never thought of it like that, good point. You need all the confidence you can get!
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 1565
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » October 18th, 2020, 3:44 am

max_ratcliffe wrote:
October 17th, 2020, 8:04 pm
winniewinser wrote:
October 14th, 2020, 1:38 pm
<>
My new erg pal arrived today too 😁

Image
Very cute.

Think the erg is bullet-proof...? Never underestimate the destructive power of small puppies.
Indeed....and my Citius Remex seat pad is probably a prime candidate for destruction :o :lol: :lol: . He's not allowed in the erg room at the moment.
LWTM, 6'2" 48yo, 100m 17.9, 1min 337m, 500m 1:34.2, 1km 3:24.6, 2km 6:53.5, 5km 18:23.2, 6km 22:20.4, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

Post Reply