Propped up the back of my c2 rower

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
wolfmage459
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: January 12th, 2021, 8:59 am

Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by wolfmage459 » January 12th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Hello, I have a concept 2 rower. I found that if I prop up the back of my rower onto two 2x4s, it helps me move from the back position to the front position. I think this is called the "recovery". I did this to help me get from the back to the front faster as it was slow. I'm a big guy. I'm about 275 lb. I think my large stomach gets in the way of me leaning forward after the "drive" (or "finish"). I think if my stomach wasn't in the way and I could actually lean forward better(?) then the "recovery" would take less time. I told my friend about this and he said I was cheating. Is this cheating?

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2971
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 3:44 am
Location: Trentino Italy

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by jamesg » January 13th, 2021, 2:49 am

No it's not. The rail is already sloped a little. What you gain coming forward you'd lose going back, and the work is done when we pull. Any work is good when we want to get fit, and rowing better than most, so if it makes it easier for you to row due to shape, why not.

I tried hanging mine from the ceiling once, but it didn't work; if it had it would still be there.
08-1940, 183cm, 84kg. Last seen MHR 155, in 2k (2020-12-03) 8.47.6@23

Tony Cook
2k Poster
Posts: 250
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 5:13 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Tony Cook » January 13th, 2021, 6:14 am

jamesg wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 2:49 am
No it's not. The rail is already sloped a little. What you gain coming forward you'd lose going back, and the work is done when we pull. Any work is good when we want to get fit, and rowing better than most, so if it makes it easier for you to row due to shape, why not.

I tried hanging mine from the ceiling once, but it didn't work; if it had it would still be there.
Did you hang it flywheel up or flywheel down? I think one way would work better than the other! Might try it 🤣
Born 1963 6' 5" 100Kg
PBs only from 2020 - 100m 15.7s - 1min 355m - 500m 1:30.0 - 1k 3:10.6 - 2k 6:37.7 - 5k 17:34.9 - 6k 22:06.7 - 30min @ 20SPM 8,132m - 10k 36:28.0 - 1 hour 16,094m - HM 1:23:13.1

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9615
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by hjs » January 13th, 2021, 6:22 am

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Hello, I have a concept 2 rower. I found that if I prop up the back of my rower onto two 2x4s, it helps me move from the back position to the front position. I think this is called the "recovery". I did this to help me get from the back to the front faster as it was slow. I'm a big guy. I'm about 275 lb. I think my large stomach gets in the way of me leaning forward after the "drive" (or "finish"). I think if my stomach wasn't in the way and I could actually lean forward better(?) then the "recovery" would take less time. I told my friend about this and he said I was cheating. Is this cheating?
If you row for your health, nothing is cheating, in the first place.

If you set the back higher, you make the stroke more difficult, I would expect most people to be slower this way, so think you are “cheating” yourself slower :wink:

Re “large stomach” nomatter what, this is your main problem, rowing alone is not enough, you need a big change in diet, and for a long time. If putting the rower up side down would help, do it :wink: kidding ofcourse, but really you are cheating nothing.

wolfmage459
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: January 12th, 2021, 8:59 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by wolfmage459 » January 13th, 2021, 7:43 am

Okay, thank you. I'm working on my diet. It seems like weight loss is 80 or 90% diet and the rest is exercise.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5202
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Dangerscouse » January 13th, 2021, 8:22 am

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Hello, I have a concept 2 rower. I found that if I prop up the back of my rower onto two 2x4s, it helps me move from the back position to the front position. I think this is called the "recovery". I did this to help me get from the back to the front faster as it was slow. I'm a big guy. I'm about 275 lb. I think my large stomach gets in the way of me leaning forward after the "drive" (or "finish"). I think if my stomach wasn't in the way and I could actually lean forward better(?) then the "recovery" would take less time. I told my friend about this and he said I was cheating. Is this cheating?
Totally agree with James and Henry. That only makes it slightly harder, and it certainly isn't cheating.

All I would suggest is to keep reminding yourself to lean forward (hingeing from the hips) as much as possible so, as your belly reduces, you don't keep that technique.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

T_M
2k Poster
Posts: 301
Joined: August 8th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by T_M » January 13th, 2021, 12:28 pm

There was a guy on this forum a few years back who said he propped the back of his rower on some blocks to work his legs harder. He was a pretty accomplished sprinter as I recall. Might try it myself.
M, 59 6'3", 230
PBs: 100m 14.9 (2018); 1 minute 365m (2017); 2K 7:15 (set as a relative newb in 2014); HM 1:28:39.8 (2016)

Nomath
2k Poster
Posts: 201
Joined: November 27th, 2019, 10:49 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Nomath » January 13th, 2021, 12:33 pm

Propping up the back will have about the same effect as tensioning the shock cord.

Tsnor
500m Poster
Posts: 92
Joined: November 18th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Tsnor » January 13th, 2021, 3:01 pm

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 12th, 2021, 9:49 pm
Hello, I have a concept 2 rower. I found that if I prop up the back of my rower onto two 2x4s, it helps me move from the back position to the front position. I think this is called the "recovery". I did this to help me get from the back to the front faster as it was slow. I'm a big guy. I'm about 275 lb. I think my large stomach gets in the way of me leaning forward after the "drive" (or "finish"). I think if my stomach wasn't in the way and I could actually lean forward better(?) then the "recovery" would take less time. I told my friend about this and he said I was cheating. Is this cheating?
Yes cheating. Your world record is DQ'd. :shock:

One thing, how you sit on the seat makes a huge difference in whether you can learn forward or not. See this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_AvZ2Fh4Y START at 50 seconds. Hope it helps.

wolfmage459
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: January 12th, 2021, 8:59 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by wolfmage459 » January 13th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. Maybe I should have said this before. he and I decided to have a rowing challenge for who could do more meters for this month. Maybe he's saying that propping up the back of my concept to rower gives me an advantage?

Also he was saying that maybe I am not having the benefit (in respect to the abs(?)) of pulling my body to the front

I told him I saw a video of that guy "training tall" saying that one is not supposed to pull their body forward with the straps. That's a big part of the reason that I put 2x4s on the back...

When I pointed this out to my friend he said one is supposed to use the straps so there could be some pulling to the front by the straps.

I think he tried to strengthen his argument by emphasizing on digging the heels in when one pulls one self to the front with the straps. I'm not sure this makes sense to me and

I'm not sure I agree with him but I am a novice and I need to practice humility

wolfmage459
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: January 12th, 2021, 8:59 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by wolfmage459 » January 13th, 2021, 3:22 pm

One thing, how you sit on the seat makes a huge difference in whether you can learn forward or not. See this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6_AvZ2Fh4Y START at 50 seconds. Hope it helps.

I've seen this video and I think I am following the advice on it. Thank you

Tony Cook
2k Poster
Posts: 250
Joined: May 4th, 2020, 5:13 am

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Tony Cook » January 13th, 2021, 4:14 pm

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 3:20 pm

I told him I saw a video of that guy "training tall" saying that one is not supposed to pull their body forward with the straps. That's a big part of the reason that I put 2x4s on the back...

When I pointed this out to my friend he said one is supposed to use the straps so there could be some pulling to the front by the straps.

I think he tried to strengthen his argument by emphasizing on digging the heels in when one pulls one self to the front with the straps. I'm not sure this makes sense to me and

I'm not sure I agree with him but I am a novice and I need to practice humility
Unless I’m going to rate more than 30 SPM I never use the straps.
Born 1963 6' 5" 100Kg
PBs only from 2020 - 100m 15.7s - 1min 355m - 500m 1:30.0 - 1k 3:10.6 - 2k 6:37.7 - 5k 17:34.9 - 6k 22:06.7 - 30min @ 20SPM 8,132m - 10k 36:28.0 - 1 hour 16,094m - HM 1:23:13.1

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5202
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Dangerscouse » January 13th, 2021, 5:34 pm

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 3:20 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses. Maybe I should have said this before. he and I decided to have a rowing challenge for who could do more meters for this month. Maybe he's saying that propping up the back of my concept to rower gives me an advantage?

Also he was saying that maybe I am not having the benefit (in respect to the abs(?)) of pulling my body to the front

I told him I saw a video of that guy "training tall" saying that one is not supposed to pull their body forward with the straps. That's a big part of the reason that I put 2x4s on the back...

When I pointed this out to my friend he said one is supposed to use the straps so there could be some pulling to the front by the straps.

I think he tried to strengthen his argument by emphasizing on digging the heels in when one pulls one self to the front with the straps. I'm not sure this makes sense to me and

I'm not sure I agree with him but I am a novice and I need to practice humility
You don't need the straps, unless you're rating quite high. I'm not too comfortable without them when I get over r27, but I can row at 1:42 pace, so they're not essential, and they definitely aren't needed for the recovery.

I think Martin managed to get to circa 1:35 and r30 recently rowing strapless.

There is possibly more ab contraction (only very slight) from rowing on a very slight incline as the bungee will pull you back towards the flywheel anyway so there is no benefit.

With all due respect, he doesn't fully understand the mechanics and technique of rowing, and it sounds like he desperately doesn't want to lose.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
Ombrax
6k Poster
Posts: 905
Joined: April 20th, 2013, 2:05 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by Ombrax » January 14th, 2021, 12:42 am

OP, tell your buddy that the recovery is part of the rest period of the rowing stroke, and unless you're racing or doing a sprint (since you're competing on total meters, not fastest time you are definitely NOT doing that as part of your competition) there is no point in rushing back to the catch.

If I were trying to maximize the number of meters I rowed in a month I'd be doing long, slow pieces, with a stroke rate of around 20-22 spm, and would not need additional help on the recovery. If fact, 99.9999% of my workouts are strapless, even when I'm trying to go fast at a high stroke rate, and I have no trouble getting back to the catch.

If I were you I would not want to do the additional work of fighting gravity during the drive (which is what you're doing) and work on the recovery so you don't feel like you need the blocks at the back of the erg.

Good Luck

mict450
2k Poster
Posts: 456
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: Propped up the back of my c2 rower

Post by mict450 » January 14th, 2021, 12:51 am

wolfmage459 wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 7:43 am
Okay, thank you. I'm working on my diet. It seems like weight loss is 80 or 90% diet and the rest is exercise.
As you get older, diet gets closer to 100% of weight loss. Sad fact of life.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

Post Reply