What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2303
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » January 25th, 2021, 4:29 pm

faach1 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 12:33 pm
MartinSH4321 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:47 am
Week 2 Day 1, 5x1,5k/5'R

Result from last week was 1:45.8 pace, so I went for 1:45.5, and it was very hard, not much left at the end, but happy with the effort:)

2k WU
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
26:23.3 7,500m 1:45.5 298 1324 28 164
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 158
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 163
5:16.8 1,500m 1:45.6 297 1322 28 165
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 28 165
5:16.3 1,500m 1:45.4 299 1327 29 167
r2,657m
2k CD
Strong pacing Martin.
Thank you Freddie!
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

Tandstad
6k Poster
Posts: 794
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 7:00 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Tandstad » January 25th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Image

Intended on doing eight, with one warm up rep. Managed four before my back started to twinge, so I called it quits at four, just in case.

1k repeats with undefined rests, and starting again when HR dropped to 100.
Very strong Stu!! :D HR very low for this pace!
35YO, 188 cm, 109 kg, NOR. Instagram: jtands
1K: 2:59(2020), 2K: 6:16(2020), 5K: 16:44(2020), 6K: 20:53(2020), 10K: 34:44(2020), 30min: 8743m(2020), 30r20: 8416(2020), 60min: 16851(2021) HM: 1:16:19.2(2020)

Tandstad
6k Poster
Posts: 794
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 7:00 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Tandstad » January 25th, 2021, 4:36 pm

MartinSH4321 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:47 am
Week 2 Day 1, 5x1,5k/5'R

Result from last week was 1:45.8 pace, so I went for 1:45.5, and it was very hard, not much left at the end, but happy with the effort:)

2k WU
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
26:23.3 7,500m 1:45.5 298 1324 28 164
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 158
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 163
5:16.8 1,500m 1:45.6 297 1322 28 165
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 28 165
5:16.3 1,500m 1:45.4 299 1327 29 167
r2,657m
2k CD
Very strong session Martin, excellent pace! B)
35YO, 188 cm, 109 kg, NOR. Instagram: jtands
1K: 2:59(2020), 2K: 6:16(2020), 5K: 16:44(2020), 6K: 20:53(2020), 10K: 34:44(2020), 30min: 8743m(2020), 30r20: 8416(2020), 60min: 16851(2021) HM: 1:16:19.2(2020)

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 5:56 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:32 am
<>

This was one of the most comfortable rowing sessions I've ever done, so much so that I seriously considered doing another one. It was one of those days that don't happen often enough.

I'm doing an intervals session tonight, probably 1k repeats, so it was the right decision to leave it. This takes me just over 30 hours for January, so I've completed the C2 Long Haul Virtual Challenge.
This is astonishing - an HM without any apparent cardiovascular effort at all!

I don't know enough physiology, but are you still getting a training effect at this pace? What I mean is that has your CV system adapted so far that this is now a UT3/recovery piece rather than something that will force your body to adapt further - like Kipchoge going for a walk?
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 5:59 pm

MartinSH4321 wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 11:47 am
Week 2 Day 1, 5x1,5k/5'R

Result from last week was 1:45.8 pace, so I went for 1:45.5, and it was very hard, not much left at the end, but happy with the effort:)

2k WU
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
26:23.3 7,500m 1:45.5 298 1324 28 164
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 158
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 27 163
5:16.8 1,500m 1:45.6 297 1322 28 165
5:16.7 1,500m 1:45.5 298 1323 28 165
5:16.3 1,500m 1:45.4 299 1327 29 167
r2,657m
2k CD
Very nice Martin,
I find 1500s are hard mentally - long enough to really hurt, but without the little ego boost and satisfaction that you get from 2k repeats.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 6:04 pm

Tandstad wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm
Did not feel like going for a erg tonight, and the feeling on the seat was not too good either, was feeling weak and tired! I guess that is just how it is sometimes :)

2k WU

5x2k @2 min rest r27 avg

6:59.2
6:59.0
6:58.5
6:58.8
6:56.3

It might seem strong on paper, but considering I have done 7 seconds faster as a continous row, it is not all that good.

A lot of good rows in here lately! Good stuff :) 400k is insane Nick, good job!
Not sure that 5x2k would have been my workout of choice if I'd not wanted to be anywhere near the erg. Still a very good workout, even if it's at an ordinary pace for you.

I'm sure that mentally there are huge benefits from completing these at a tidy pace when you're not really feeling it - so easy to go for an easier workout, or skip it altogether.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by iangallagher » January 25th, 2021, 6:36 pm

Small weather window of opportunity this Thursday so im going to take advantage and go for the 2km.

So today was the famous 2km predictor. I want to hit 1.34.5 on the day (i'll still be happy with anything sub 1.35 though)

This session is 500m, 500m, 1250m all with 1 minutes rest. I wanted low 1.34's as that should see me in the 1.34.5 range on the day should it all go to plan.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:02.7 2,250m 1:33.9 422 1753 35

1:34.2 500m 1:34.2 419 1741 34
1:33.9 500m 1:33.9 423 1754 34
3:54.6 1,250m 1:33.8 424 1757 37
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 17.09; 6km = 20.31; 30mins = 8481; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

Tandstad
6k Poster
Posts: 794
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 7:00 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Tandstad » January 25th, 2021, 6:58 pm

iangallagher wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Small weather window of opportunity this Thursday so im going to take advantage and go for the 2km.

So today was the famous 2km predictor. I want to hit 1.34.5 on the day (i'll still be happy with anything sub 1.35 though)

This session is 500m, 500m, 1250m all with 1 minutes rest. I wanted low 1.34's as that should see me in the 1.34.5 range on the day should it all go to plan.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:02.7 2,250m 1:33.9 422 1753 35

1:34.2 500m 1:34.2 419 1741 34
1:33.9 500m 1:33.9 423 1754 34
3:54.6 1,250m 1:33.8 424 1757 37
This is so strong Ian, I'd be very surprised if you don't go 6:16 or below on your attempt! Definitely cheering for you B)
35YO, 188 cm, 109 kg, NOR. Instagram: jtands
1K: 2:59(2020), 2K: 6:16(2020), 5K: 16:44(2020), 6K: 20:53(2020), 10K: 34:44(2020), 30min: 8743m(2020), 30r20: 8416(2020), 60min: 16851(2021) HM: 1:16:19.2(2020)

Tandstad
6k Poster
Posts: 794
Joined: May 10th, 2013, 7:00 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Tandstad » January 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm

max_ratcliffe wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Tandstad wrote:
January 24th, 2021, 4:38 pm
Did not feel like going for a erg tonight, and the feeling on the seat was not too good either, was feeling weak and tired! I guess that is just how it is sometimes :)

2k WU

5x2k @2 min rest r27 avg

6:59.2
6:59.0
6:58.5
6:58.8
6:56.3

It might seem strong on paper, but considering I have done 7 seconds faster as a continous row, it is not all that good.

A lot of good rows in here lately! Good stuff :) 400k is insane Nick, good job!
Not sure that 5x2k would have been my workout of choice if I'd not wanted to be anywhere near the erg. Still a very good workout, even if it's at an ordinary pace for you.

I'm sure that mentally there are huge benefits from completing these at a tidy pace when you're not really feeling it - so easy to go for an easier workout, or skip it altogether.
Haha thanks Max, yeah 5x2k is probably not the best session for a low motivation day, but sometimes just need to punish myself a bit :lol:
35YO, 188 cm, 109 kg, NOR. Instagram: jtands
1K: 2:59(2020), 2K: 6:16(2020), 5K: 16:44(2020), 6K: 20:53(2020), 10K: 34:44(2020), 30min: 8743m(2020), 30r20: 8416(2020), 60min: 16851(2021) HM: 1:16:19.2(2020)

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 8:14 pm

hjs wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 4:02 am
<>
Point I was making, or trying, Skier is a strange machine, a think roughly speaking, the rower is better suited for the general population. For the rower average strenght is good enough. On the skierg thats different, I see some decent rowers pull numbers on the skier which look slow. Even for myself, I can’t tax my fitness like I can on the rower.
Yeah, it's an interesting beast, as most of the bigger muscles are used in the recovery rather than the drive (if it's called a drive?). So much energy is wasted on the recovery compared to the rower, that I think there's a real benefit in rating lower (although still much higher than on the rower). I guess that's why stronger people do better proportionately. Triceps seem to be a bit of a weak link for me.

I used to go to a gym where they had one of those hand cycles (a proper one, not the supermarket junk). You could get your arms screaming, but not sure there was any CV benefit.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 8:29 pm

Cool enough again to row (although at nearly 100% humidity, I am a sweaty mess).

180-188-180-184-180

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
50:00.0 11,480m 2:10.6 157 839 19
10:00.0 2,284m 2:11.3 154 831 19
20:00.0 2,308m 2:09.9 159 848 19
30:00.0 2,285m 2:11.2 155 832 19
40:00.0 2,315m 2:09.5 161 853 19
50:00.0 2,288m 2:11.1 155 834 19

Overstroked it a bit, but just pleased to back on the seat and to actually finish a longer training piece.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

User avatar
max_ratcliffe
10k Poster
Posts: 1292
Joined: May 2nd, 2019, 11:01 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by max_ratcliffe » January 25th, 2021, 8:49 pm

iangallagher wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Small weather window of opportunity this Thursday so im going to take advantage and go for the 2km.

So today was the famous 2km predictor. I want to hit 1.34.5 on the day (i'll still be happy with anything sub 1.35 though)

This session is 500m, 500m, 1250m all with 1 minutes rest. I wanted low 1.34's as that should see me in the 1.34.5 range on the day should it all go to plan.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:02.7 2,250m 1:33.9 422 1753 35

1:34.2 500m 1:34.2 419 1741 34
1:33.9 500m 1:33.9 423 1754 34
3:54.6 1,250m 1:33.8 424 1757 37
Don't you ever get tired? :)

Very strong session. Best of luck on Thursday.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

LouTheWizard
Paddler
Posts: 42
Joined: December 9th, 2020, 5:14 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by LouTheWizard » January 25th, 2021, 10:37 pm

Did 2 30 min recovery sessions yesterday, with a couple minute break between to switch laundry over.

Today was time for 6x1500, 5 min recovery. Here is data from same workout 3 weeks ago:

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
37:03.8 9,000m 2:03.5 186 938 24 160
6:18.0 1,500m 2:06.0 175 902 24 147
6:16.4 1,500m 2:05.4 177 909 24 155
6:14.7 1,500m 2:04.9 180 918 24 159
6:13.2 1,500m 2:04.4 182 925 24 160
6:08.7 1,500m 2:02.9 189 948 25 167
5:52.9 1,500m 1:57.6 215 1040 26 176

Thought I'd start with a 2:03 on the first one today and this is where it led:

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
36:09.4 9,000m 2:00.5 200 988 24 158
6:09.0 1,500m 2:03.0 188 947 24 148
6:08.0 1,500m 2:02.6 190 952 24 152
6:05.8 1,500m 2:01.9 193 964 24 155
6:03.0 1,500m 2:01.0 198 979 25 160
5:57.7 1,500m 1:59.2 206 1010 25 164
5:45.9 1,500m 1:55.3 228 1085 26 172

I think I need to be a little more aggressive on the earlier reps
39 Y.O. Beginner as of December, 2020. 6'4" 250#...2021 goal is to get under 220#

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1425687

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by iangallagher » January 26th, 2021, 2:01 am

max_ratcliffe wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 8:49 pm
iangallagher wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Small weather window of opportunity this Thursday so im going to take advantage and go for the 2km.

So today was the famous 2km predictor. I want to hit 1.34.5 on the day (i'll still be happy with anything sub 1.35 though)

This session is 500m, 500m, 1250m all with 1 minutes rest. I wanted low 1.34's as that should see me in the 1.34.5 range on the day should it all go to plan.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:02.7 2,250m 1:33.9 422 1753 35

1:34.2 500m 1:34.2 419 1741 34
1:33.9 500m 1:33.9 423 1754 34
3:54.6 1,250m 1:33.8 424 1757 37
Don't you ever get tired? :)

Very strong session. Best of luck on Thursday.
haha these sessions arent really tiring - just momentarily. I would say Stu''s session would be more fatiguing
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 17.09; 6km = 20.31; 30mins = 8481; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 399
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by iangallagher » January 26th, 2021, 2:03 am

Tandstad wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:58 pm
iangallagher wrote:
January 25th, 2021, 6:36 pm
Small weather window of opportunity this Thursday so im going to take advantage and go for the 2km.

So today was the famous 2km predictor. I want to hit 1.34.5 on the day (i'll still be happy with anything sub 1.35 though)

This session is 500m, 500m, 1250m all with 1 minutes rest. I wanted low 1.34's as that should see me in the 1.34.5 range on the day should it all go to plan.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
7:02.7 2,250m 1:33.9 422 1753 35

1:34.2 500m 1:34.2 419 1741 34
1:33.9 500m 1:33.9 423 1754 34
3:54.6 1,250m 1:33.8 424 1757 37
This is so strong Ian, I'd be very surprised if you don't go 6:16 or below on your attempt! Definitely cheering for you B)
thanks big guy. I wont be heading out for a 6.16 from the off - but if i get a snif of it with 500 left then i'll throw the *** DELETE - SPAM *** sink at it.

appreciate your ongoing support mate!
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 17.09; 6km = 20.31; 30mins = 8481; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

Post Reply