New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2390
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by MartinSH4321 » April 8th, 2021, 4:01 pm

max_ratcliffe wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 1:45 pm
MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 7:35 am
1' PB - 392m (+5m) :D

Wasn't sure if I should give it a go today, good I did :lol:

This effort felt amazing, followed Henry's advice to go by feel and was very surprised to see 1:14 average around 200m in. Faded at the end, but still 1:22 last pull,so propably a bit left :)

Super happy with the result :D

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
1:00.0 392m 1:16.5 781 2987 44
1:00.0 393m 1:16.3 787 3007 44
Wonderful stuff there Martin. One more stroke would see you over 400, but how you pull an SPI of nearly 18 at that rate utterly baffles me.

I look forward to seeing your 500. Will you go as far as the 1k and 4'?
Thanks Max! 8m doesn't sound like much, but it will take a lot of work to get there :)
I think if the 500 work well then I can give the 1k a go too, but my erg fitness suffered a bit, we'll see
1983, Austria, 186cm / 105Kg
LP: 1:05 100m: 13.8 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

nick rockliff
10k Poster
Posts: 1144
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by nick rockliff » April 8th, 2021, 4:04 pm

winniewinser wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 1:41 pm
I couldn't let Martin take all the limelight....so strapped in and flapped around for 100m to PB by 0.2s 😂😂😂. Don't worry, I know this is rubbish, even for a late forties LWT. I'm never going to be really quick on the short stuff.

0:17.5 100m 1:27.5 51
0:04.8 25m 1:35.9 50
0:04.2 50m 1:24.0 57
0:04.2 75m 1:24.0 43
0:04.2 100m 1:24.0 57

Another one bites the dust 😁
A PB is a PB, take them while you can, well done again.
63 6' 4" 103kg
PBs 2k 6:16.4 5k 16:37.5 10k 34:35.5 30m 8727 60m 17059 HM 74:25.9 FM 2:43:48.8
50s PBs 2k 6.24.3 5k 16.55.4 6k 20.34.2 10k 35.19.0 30m 8633 60m 16685 HM 76.48.7
60s PBs 5k 17.51.2 10k 36.42.6 30m 8263 60m 16089 HM 79.16.6

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2390
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by MartinSH4321 » April 8th, 2021, 4:09 pm

hjs wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 12:01 pm
MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 11:29 am
hjs wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 9:27 am


Nice :D now the key will be to keep your body in one piece. Won’t name possible goals but this is just the start. You faded, but still the second half was faster, so you also must have speeded up after halfway. First goal 400...
Thanks Henry! 400 always was only a dream, but now I really think it's possible when I can get my strength level a good bit more up and some TTs under the belt.
Maybe I misunderstand something, but the first half was 1:14.x, so the second must be around 1:18?
Definitely not too much fade, and I didn't feel that terrible afterwards, would estimate that I could have done at least 10 more seconds sub 1:30, so a good sign for the 500m too, maybe something like 1:16 pace as long as possible and hopefully not dying too early :)
Me bad, I misread your result. You did die, like you should :wink:
Keep doing what you do. Only be carefull with the real fast stuff, not needed to go full 100% power. 90/95% is enough.
Ps re lowpull, look at watts, every second now is such a gap, to much to see improvement.
Also keep doing time trials, this will make them less mental taxing, and more a “just a workout” thing.
Later on, you could ad in, overdistance work, although those are not easy to plan. 1k pace should feel very easy right now :D
Fully agree, the 100% 100m is enough once per season, but I was pretty sure to get the sub14'' and couldn't resist, luckily without hurting myself :)
Very good advice as always, I avoided the sprint TTs too much, doing them once or twice per month should help.
1983, Austria, 186cm / 105Kg
LP: 1:05 100m: 13.8 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1781
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by KeithT » April 8th, 2021, 4:38 pm

MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:57 pm
KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm
500M PB at 1:21.3

Nothing too exciting here. I felt I was in a good place to give this a go and inspired by Martin thought I would do it today. I felt good after warming up and decided to split the TT into 2 sections with a plan to be right on past PB pace (1:21.9) at 250M and then try to go faster. First 250 went as planned, I did a few more quick half strokes than usual (hence the higher SPM) and then settled in and was at 1:22 halfway, I then put as much force as I could on the stroke and dropped the pace to 1:19/1:20 and held until about 60M to go when I faded pretty hard. Considering the way I felt, the overall pacing being good and such I really don't think I can do better unless I work on speed/power. My low pulls are slower than they used to be but I am able to hold near max efforts longer now. I may try 2K soon as that's the big one and the one I really want to focus on more though I will also do a FM soon as I want to make that an annual thing.

Time/Mtrs/Pace SPM
1:21.3/500/1:21.3/48

:41.0/250/1:22.0/51
:40.3/250/1:20.6/45
That's a great PB Keith, I'm very happy for you! Looks perfectly paced, and you got me by 0.1'' :D
It's all I got and you will crush this. I really think it might be a lifetime PB as I am not planning to train for just sprints and I would need to in order to beat this.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 376m, 500m - 1:21.3, 1K - 2:57.2, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:19:19, FM - 2:47:46

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1781
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by KeithT » April 8th, 2021, 4:40 pm

winniewinser wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:14 pm
KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm
500M PB at 1:21.3

Nothing too exciting here. I felt I was in a good place to give this a go and inspired by Martin thought I would do it today. I felt good after warming up and decided to split the TT into 2 sections with a plan to be right on past PB pace (1:21.9) at 250M and then try to go faster. First 250 went as planned, I did a few more quick half strokes than usual (hence the higher SPM) and then settled in and was at 1:22 halfway, I then put as much force as I could on the stroke and dropped the pace to 1:19/1:20 and held until about 60M to go when I faded pretty hard. Considering the way I felt, the overall pacing being good and such I really don't think I can do better unless I work on speed/power. My low pulls are slower than they used to be but I am able to hold near max efforts longer now. I may try 2K soon as that's the big one and the one I really want to focus on more though I will also do a FM soon as I want to make that an annual thing.

Time/Mtrs/Pace SPM
1:21.3/500/1:21.3/48

:41.0/250/1:22.0/51
:40.3/250/1:20.6/45
Fantastic PB Keith 🔥🔥🔥💪💪💪👏👏👏
I will take it and don't plan to test 500m again for at least a year.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 376m, 500m - 1:21.3, 1K - 2:57.2, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:19:19, FM - 2:47:46

User avatar
winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2190
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by winniewinser » April 8th, 2021, 5:23 pm

Tony Cook wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:27 pm
A PB is never rubbish. And you had 3.7 more seconds of leg burn!
As a running coach once said to me when I moaned about not being as quick as others, ‘It’s just as much effort for you as the fast guys, it’s just that you have to do it for longer.’
Very true...so mine is actually better 😋😂😎
MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:51 pm
That's a solid improvement, well done, your stronger stroke helps at all distances! :)
Cheers Martin 🙏
nick rockliff wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 4:04 pm
A PB is a PB, take them while you can, well done again.
Thx Nick...I feel like I'm on a newbie gainz train again 😂
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.5, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1220m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 21:46.7, 30' 8082m, 10km 37:31.3, 60' 15,504m, HM 1:22:14.7, FM 3:08:12.8

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by iangallagher » April 8th, 2021, 6:25 pm

MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 6:57 am
100m PB - 13.8 (-0.2'') :D

Big PB for me today, managed to go sub 14!
It was also a LP PB at 1:05 :)

After yesterday's sprint prep I've planned something easier today, but legs felt surprisingly good. Wasn't 100% sure if legs are fit enough for the 1', so I tried a fastish 100 and decided to go for 100m. Felt incredibly powerful, weight training pays big dividends atm.

Great confidence boost for the coming 1', maybe tomorrow if I feel ready B)

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
0:13.8 100m 1:09.0 1065 3966 56
0:13.8 100m 1:09.0 1065 3966 56
wow!! super strong brother!! Crazy numbers!!
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 16.49; 6km = 20.24; 30mins = 8605; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by iangallagher » April 8th, 2021, 6:27 pm

KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm
500M PB at 1:21.3

Nothing too exciting here. I felt I was in a good place to give this a go and inspired by Martin thought I would do it today. I felt good after warming up and decided to split the TT into 2 sections with a plan to be right on past PB pace (1:21.9) at 250M and then try to go faster. First 250 went as planned, I did a few more quick half strokes than usual (hence the higher SPM) and then settled in and was at 1:22 halfway, I then put as much force as I could on the stroke and dropped the pace to 1:19/1:20 and held until about 60M to go when I faded pretty hard. Considering the way I felt, the overall pacing being good and such I really don't think I can do better unless I work on speed/power. My low pulls are slower than they used to be but I am able to hold near max efforts longer now. I may try 2K soon as that's the big one and the one I really want to focus on more though I will also do a FM soon as I want to make that an annual thing.

Time/Mtrs/Pace SPM
1:21.3/500/1:21.3/48

:41.0/250/1:22.0/51
:40.3/250/1:20.6/45
Blimey Keith! Thats an amazing time!!! Really well done buddy. That pacing is superb
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 16.49; 6km = 20.24; 30mins = 8605; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

iangallagher
2k Poster
Posts: 424
Joined: May 7th, 2020, 2:05 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by iangallagher » April 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm

winniewinser wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 1:41 pm
I couldn't let Martin take all the limelight....so strapped in and flapped around for 100m to PB by 0.2s 😂😂😂. Don't worry, I know this is rubbish, even for a late forties LWT. I'm never going to be really quick on the short stuff.

0:17.5 100m 1:27.5 51
0:04.8 25m 1:35.9 50
0:04.2 50m 1:24.0 57
0:04.2 75m 1:24.0 43
0:04.2 100m 1:24.0 57

Another one bites the dust 😁
love to see this mate!! Solid!!! well done
182cm; 89kg; 1km = 2.57.5; 2km = 6.19; 4mins = 1296; 5km = 16.49; 6km = 20.24; 30mins = 8605; 10km= 35.31; 60 minutes = 16179 HM = 1.23.25
Erging since May 2020

User avatar
OregonERG
Paddler
Posts: 36
Joined: March 5th, 2020, 10:42 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by OregonERG » April 9th, 2021, 12:25 am

I am not sure how I feel about this PB. It hurt a lot and I only improved a tiny bit. I guess any PB is good but, man, this was tough. It was after work and I was tired all afternoon. My legs felt flat and yet I had the Hour Row on my schedule so I decided to just slog through it. My SPM was dragging a bit from the start, my arms and legs felt dead. Yet I squeezed out a 37m improvement in the Hour Row --- 15,779m (1:54.0 pace) at 29 SPM and a heart-rate of 159. Now I am tired.
48 years, 6'0 & 170 lbs. | 2km - 6:59.2 / 5km - 18:13.7 / 30 min - 8085m / 10km - 37:12.5 / Hour Best - 15,779m

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2390
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by MartinSH4321 » April 9th, 2021, 12:36 am

OregonERG wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 12:25 am
I am not sure how I feel about this PB. It hurt a lot and I only improved a tiny bit. I guess any PB is good but, man, this was tough. It was after work and I was tired all afternoon. My legs felt flat and yet I had the Hour Row on my schedule so I decided to just slog through it. My SPM was dragging a bit from the start, my arms and legs felt dead. Yet I squeezed out a 37m improvement in the Hour Row --- 15,779m (1:54.0 pace) at 29 SPM and a heart-rate of 159. Now I am tired.
That's a great PB, well done!
1983, Austria, 186cm / 105Kg
LP: 1:05 100m: 13.8 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2390
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by MartinSH4321 » April 9th, 2021, 12:37 am

iangallagher wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 6:25 pm
MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 6:57 am
100m PB - 13.8 (-0.2'') :D

Big PB for me today, managed to go sub 14!
It was also a LP PB at 1:05 :)

After yesterday's sprint prep I've planned something easier today, but legs felt surprisingly good. Wasn't 100% sure if legs are fit enough for the 1', so I tried a fastish 100 and decided to go for 100m. Felt incredibly powerful, weight training pays big dividends atm.

Great confidence boost for the coming 1', maybe tomorrow if I feel ready B)

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
0:13.8 100m 1:09.0 1065 3966 56
0:13.8 100m 1:09.0 1065 3966 56
wow!! super strong brother!! Crazy numbers!!
Thanks mate! :D
1983, Austria, 186cm / 105Kg
LP: 1:05 100m: 13.8 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

User avatar
winniewinser
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2190
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by winniewinser » April 9th, 2021, 2:13 am

iangallagher wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 6:29 pm
love to see this mate!! Solid!!! well done
Cheers bud 🙏
OregonERG wrote:
April 9th, 2021, 12:25 am
I am not sure how I feel about this PB. It hurt a lot and I only improved a tiny bit. I guess any PB is good but, man, this was tough. It was after work and I was tired all afternoon. My legs felt flat and yet I had the Hour Row on my schedule so I decided to just slog through it. My SPM was dragging a bit from the start, my arms and legs felt dead. Yet I squeezed out a 37m improvement in the Hour Row --- 15,779m (1:54.0 pace) at 29 SPM and a heart-rate of 159. Now I am tired.
Yep, any PB is great work and this sounds like a battle. Don't think I could hold 29spm for 1hr 😲👏👏.

I'm on schedule for a 60' TT this weekend... gonna be tough.
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.5, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1220m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 21:46.7, 30' 8082m, 10km 37:31.3, 60' 15,504m, HM 1:22:14.7, FM 3:08:12.8

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2390
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by MartinSH4321 » April 9th, 2021, 2:26 am

KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 4:38 pm
MartinSH4321 wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:57 pm
KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm
500M PB at 1:21.3

Nothing too exciting here. I felt I was in a good place to give this a go and inspired by Martin thought I would do it today. I felt good after warming up and decided to split the TT into 2 sections with a plan to be right on past PB pace (1:21.9) at 250M and then try to go faster. First 250 went as planned, I did a few more quick half strokes than usual (hence the higher SPM) and then settled in and was at 1:22 halfway, I then put as much force as I could on the stroke and dropped the pace to 1:19/1:20 and held until about 60M to go when I faded pretty hard. Considering the way I felt, the overall pacing being good and such I really don't think I can do better unless I work on speed/power. My low pulls are slower than they used to be but I am able to hold near max efforts longer now. I may try 2K soon as that's the big one and the one I really want to focus on more though I will also do a FM soon as I want to make that an annual thing.

Time/Mtrs/Pace SPM
1:21.3/500/1:21.3/48

:41.0/250/1:22.0/51
:40.3/250/1:20.6/45
That's a great PB Keith, I'm very happy for you! Looks perfectly paced, and you got me by 0.1'' :D
It's all I got and you will crush this. I really think it might be a lifetime PB as I am not planning to train for just sprints and I would need to in order to beat this.
With some training focus on sprints I think you could go for sub 1:20 too, but it's totally understandable that your focus is on the longer distances as you're so competitive on the 1k and 2k. I hope your #1 1k raking holds this season, looking great and highly deserved :)
1983, Austria, 186cm / 105Kg
LP: 1:05 100m: 13.8 1': 392m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9882
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by hjs » April 9th, 2021, 3:10 am

KeithT wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 2:57 pm
500M PB at 1:21.3

Nothing too exciting here. I felt I was in a good place to give this a go and inspired by Martin thought I would do it today. I felt good after warming up and decided to split the TT into 2 sections with a plan to be right on past PB pace (1:21.9) at 250M and then try to go faster. First 250 went as planned, I did a few more quick half strokes than usual (hence the higher SPM) and then settled in and was at 1:22 halfway, I then put as much force as I could on the stroke and dropped the pace to 1:19/1:20 and held until about 60M to go when I faded pretty hard. Considering the way I felt, the overall pacing being good and such I really don't think I can do better unless I work on speed/power. My low pulls are slower than they used to be but I am able to hold near max efforts longer now. I may try 2K soon as that's the big one and the one I really want to focus on more though I will also do a FM soon as I want to make that an annual thing.

Time/Mtrs/Pace SPM
1:21.3/500/1:21.3/48

:41.0/250/1:22.0/51
:40.3/250/1:20.6/45

Nice work, not 100% Keith, done as a anti sprinter :D

Post Reply