I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
slwiser
1k Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by slwiser » February 14th, 2011, 8:38 pm

xenotheolympian wrote: Funny thing about the dynamic machine is that technique has an even greater effect than on the stationary.
Let me repeat what I am reading back to you...you think the Static on Slides is not compatible to the dynamic, in that, the dynamic makes technique even more important than the static on slides. At work I am used to three way communication and this is an example of it so mistakes are not made.
215 lbs & 5'-9.5".61YO. 8.0MM+ and counting, Dynamic C2
Free Spirits Internet Rowing Team, http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/
Exercise Journal:http://www.cardiacathletes.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?1213-Steve-s-Exercise-Blog

User avatar
xenotheolympian
500m Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: June 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by xenotheolympian » February 14th, 2011, 8:43 pm

slwiser wrote:
xenotheolympian wrote: Funny thing about the dynamic machine is that technique has an even greater effect than on the stationary.
Let me repeat what I am reading back to you...you think the Static on Slides is not compatible to the dynamic, in that, the dynamic makes technique even more important than the static on slides. At work I am used to three way communication and this is an example of it so mistakes are not made.
Alright, your comment gave me a smile. A stationary erg on slides, is a dynamic machine for me. An erg with a fixed footboard on the ground is static. OK?
Xeno Muller,
Olympic gold & silver medalist, Olympic record holder.
President
Remote coaching video file sharing http://www.xenorowingcoach.com
Online Rowing Workouts http://www.row2go.com

User avatar
xenotheolympian
500m Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: June 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by xenotheolympian » February 14th, 2011, 8:45 pm

xenotheolympian wrote:
slwiser wrote:
xenotheolympian wrote: Funny thing about the dynamic machine is that technique has an even greater effect than on the stationary.
Let me repeat what I am reading back to you...you think the Static on Slides is not compatible to the dynamic, in that, the dynamic makes technique even more important than the static on slides. At work I am used to three way communication and this is an example of it so mistakes are not made.
Alright, your comment gave me a smile. A stationary erg on slides, is a dynamic machine for me. An erg with a fixed footboard on the ground is static. OK?
You are on the cardiac athlete forum, so am I.
Xeno Muller,
Olympic gold & silver medalist, Olympic record holder.
President
Remote coaching video file sharing http://www.xenorowingcoach.com
Online Rowing Workouts http://www.row2go.com

Bob S.
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5142
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 12:00 pm

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by Bob S. » February 14th, 2011, 11:07 pm

Hi Xeno,

Just thought that i'd dip my oar in here, so to speak. Or should I say get it tangled in this thread?

I'd like to know how you feel about how the Dynamic Erg DE) compares to say a model D on slides (D/S), which is what I have now. The footprint is obviously the first point of advantage of the DE over the D/S and that is the main reason that I am strongly considering getting a DE. I would also think that there would be less body movement which with the DE since there is only a small amount of mass in the moving stretcher as compared with the much larger mass of almost the whole erg moving in the case of the D/S. (The same can be said for the Oartec Slider - it is very similar to the D/S mechanically.) A major point of difference is in the actions of the simple chain and cog versus the rather complex rope/chain combination of the DE. Does this feel much different to you and, if so, is it favorable or unfavorable?

C2 has this to say:
What are the advantages of the Model D/E over the Dynamic Indoor Rower?
The Model D and Model E are both proven designs that provide all the fitness benefits of rowing. The Model D is a more affordable option for those looking for a rowing workout. Both the Model D and Model E can be quickly separated for moving and storage. The Model D and Model E do not have to be leveled on the floor like the Dynamic Indoor Rower, which makes them easier to set up on a variety of surfaces.


Was the setup, i.e. the leveling, much of a problem? I suppose that the supports have adjustable lengths to allow for leveling. Are lengthwise and crosswise levels built into the machine or do you have to use a regular to do the job? I wasn't aware of the leveling requirement when I tried out the DE at Boston, so I didn't look for those features. Actually the slides are a bit of a nuisance to set up and I have a hunch that the DE would be easier that the D/S form that point of view. I had an 18.5' frame of angle iron welded together to use to keep my slides with the right spacing and alignment. I also have shims at the far ends, as recommended by the Australians.

Regards,

Bob S.

I suppose that I should have sent this as a PM, but there are probably other members who are interested in the questions that I have brought up.

User avatar
xenotheolympian
500m Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: June 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by xenotheolympian » February 14th, 2011, 11:29 pm

Bob S. wrote:Hi Xeno,

Just thought that i'd dip my oar in here, so to speak. Or should I say get it tangled in this thread?

I'd like to know how you feel about how the Dynamic Erg DE) compares to say a model D on slides (D/S), which is what I have now. The footprint is obviously the first point of advantage of the DE over the D/S and that is the main reason that I am strongly considering getting a DE. I would also think that there would be less body movement which with the DE since there is only a small amount of mass in the moving stretcher as compared with the much larger mass of almost the whole erg moving in the case of the D/S. (The same can be said for the Oartec Slider - it is very similar to the D/S mechanically.) A major point of difference is in the actions of the simple chain and cog versus the rather complex rope/chain combination of the DE. Does this feel much different to you and, if so, is it favorable or unfavorable?

C2 has this to say:
What are the advantages of the Model D/E over the Dynamic Indoor Rower?
The Model D and Model E are both proven designs that provide all the fitness benefits of rowing. The Model D is a more affordable option for those looking for a rowing workout. Both the Model D and Model E can be quickly separated for moving and storage. The Model D and Model E do not have to be leveled on the floor like the Dynamic Indoor Rower, which makes them easier to set up on a variety of surfaces.


Was the setup, i.e. the leveling, much of a problem? I suppose that the supports have adjustable lengths to allow for leveling. Are lengthwise and crosswise levels built into the machine or do you have to use a regular to do the job? I wasn't aware of the leveling requirement when I tried out the DE at Boston, so I didn't look for those features. Actually the slides are a bit of a nuisance to set up and I have a hunch that the DE would be easier that the D/S form that point of view. I had an 18.5' frame of angle iron welded together to use to keep my slides with the right spacing and alignment. I also have shims at the far ends, as recommended by the Australians.

Regards,

Bob S.

I suppose that I should have sent this as a PM, but there are probably other members who are interested in the questions that I have brought up.
Hi Bob
Feel wise, even though built differently, it is the same to me.
Leveling is not a problem. IMHO even the static C2 feels better when level.
The smallest footprint by far is rowperfect, than C2, and last slider.
The dynamic ergs will change the absolute speed of people rowing on the water.
It is a lot easier to understand the none involvement of the small muscles when rowing efficiently on the dynamic ergs.
Running my workouts using a dynamic set up for Row2go is fun.
X.
Xeno Muller,
Olympic gold & silver medalist, Olympic record holder.
President
Remote coaching video file sharing http://www.xenorowingcoach.com
Online Rowing Workouts http://www.row2go.com

luckylindy
2k Poster
Posts: 288
Joined: October 21st, 2010, 12:43 am

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by luckylindy » February 15th, 2011, 12:46 am

Xeno - thanks for the great review! Nice to see you here!
6'1" (185cm), 196 lbs (89kg)
LP: 1:18 100m: 17.3 500m: 1:29 1000m: 3:26 5k: 18:58 10k: 39:45

User avatar
stupefaction
Paddler
Posts: 22
Joined: April 2nd, 2006, 12:51 am
Location: Sunnyvale, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by stupefaction » February 15th, 2011, 12:51 am

Xeno, let me tell you why I'm nervous about getting a C2 Dynamic Erg (or DE in Bob S.'s appellation). I can see from photographs that the flywheel is situated below and to the left of the seat, just about where sweat from my arm goes flying at the finish. Because I start sweating heavily after fifteen minutes and often do pieces lasting 60 minutes or more, I am worried that I would destroy the flywheel mechanism in a few months. What can you tell us in this regard?

User avatar
xenotheolympian
500m Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: June 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by xenotheolympian » February 15th, 2011, 1:22 am

stupefaction wrote:Xeno, let me tell you why I'm nervous about getting a C2 Dynamic Erg (or DE in Bob S.'s appellation). I can see from photographs that the flywheel is situated below and to the left of the seat, just about where sweat from my arm goes flying at the finish. Because I start sweating heavily after fifteen minutes and often do pieces lasting 60 minutes or more, I am worried that I would destroy the flywheel mechanism in a few months. What can you tell us in this regard?
I have stopped sweating like that :-)
If you row hard enough the sweat will be blown away from the flywheel, oh that brings me to the next good point, you will have less sweat drip of your body because the wheel serves like a cooling fan.
Xeno Muller,
Olympic gold & silver medalist, Olympic record holder.
President
Remote coaching video file sharing http://www.xenorowingcoach.com
Online Rowing Workouts http://www.row2go.com

slwiser
1k Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by slwiser » February 15th, 2011, 5:33 am

xenotheolympian wrote:....... because the wheel serves like a cooling fan.
This could be a blessing at times and a curse at times. A curse when you don't want to get to cool during intervals. Chills do me in.
215 lbs & 5'-9.5".61YO. 8.0MM+ and counting, Dynamic C2
Free Spirits Internet Rowing Team, http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/
Exercise Journal:http://www.cardiacathletes.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?1213-Steve-s-Exercise-Blog

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 7091
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by Citroen » February 15th, 2011, 5:51 am

slwiser wrote:
xenotheolympian wrote:....... because the wheel serves like a cooling fan.
This could be a blessing at times and a curse at times. A curse when you don't want to get to cool during intervals. Chills do me in.
Get a C-Breeze and you can redirect the airflow wherever you want it. http://www.ps-sport.net/CB_main.htm

slwiser
1k Poster
Posts: 171
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 8:01 pm
Location: Richmond, VA
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by slwiser » February 15th, 2011, 7:08 am

Citroen wrote:
slwiser wrote:
xenotheolympian wrote:....... because the wheel serves like a cooling fan.
This could be a blessing at times and a curse at times. A curse when you don't want to get to cool during intervals. Chills do me in.
Get a C-Breeze and you can redirect the airflow wherever you want it. http://www.ps-sport.net/CB_main.htm
I have one and have never like the way it fitted the housing. Would it fit under the seat area of the Dynamic? I like the fan I use, I can redirect the air flow to how much I desire when I need it.
215 lbs & 5'-9.5".61YO. 8.0MM+ and counting, Dynamic C2
Free Spirits Internet Rowing Team, http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/
Exercise Journal:http://www.cardiacathletes.org.uk/forums/showthread.php?1213-Steve-s-Exercise-Blog

User avatar
Citroen
SpamTeam
Posts: 7091
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:28 pm
Location: A small cave in deepest darkest Basingstoke, UK

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by Citroen » February 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

slwiser wrote: I have one and have never like the way it fitted the housing. Would it fit under the seat area of the Dynamic? I like the fan I use, I can redirect the air flow to how much I desire when I need it.
You need to thread the strings under the bridging pieces on a modelD/E fan cage then it stays put and works well. The gym I use had air con installed but they're trying to save money by not ever running it - it's always too hot even in winter. Since the fan cage on the DynErg is the same as a D/E it should fit (give or take the ground clearance).

User avatar
Rockin Roland
5k Poster
Posts: 570
Joined: March 19th, 2006, 12:02 am
Location: Moving Flywheel

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by Rockin Roland » February 15th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Bob S. wrote: A major point of difference is in the actions of the simple chain and cog versus the rather complex rope/chain combination of the DE. Does this feel much different to you and, if so, is it favorable or unfavorable?

Was the setup, i.e. the leveling, much of a problem? I suppose that the supports have adjustable lengths to allow for leveling. Are lengthwise and crosswise levels built into the machine or do you have to use a regular to do the job? I wasn't aware of the leveling requirement when I tried out the DE at Boston, so I didn't look for those features. Actually the slides are a bit of a nuisance to set up and I have a hunch that the DE would be easier that the D/S form that point of view.

Regards,

Bob S.
Bob, many of the elite on water rowers prefer the feel of the model D erg on slides over the Dynamic C2 erg (relative to rowing in a boat). Hence I reckon your better off sticking with what you have. If setting up the slides each time becomes a pain then perhaps you should be looking more seriously at a RP3. It's small, requires little space, easy to move around and has a built in levelling adjuster. More importantly it's the most enjoyable out of all the ergs to row on. Isn't that what matters most. Don't be afraid to change brands. I did and have never looked back since.
PBs: 2K 6:13.4, 5K 16:32, 6K 19:55, 10K 33:49, 30min 8849m, 60min 17,309m
Caution: Static C2 ergs can ruin your technique and timing for rowing in a boat.
The best thing I ever did to improve my rowing was to sell my C2 and get a Rowperfect.

robertk
Paddler
Posts: 6
Joined: February 2nd, 2008, 10:59 pm

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-) + on wheels, not a slide

Post by robertk » February 21st, 2011, 8:42 pm

I've mentioned elsewhere the possibility of making a static Model B a little more dynamic by putting it on wheels, like this video:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4510586_ ... 7148_SkkLJ

I have U-bolted a 2 x 4 to the feet of the ergometer with casters attached which I bought at Home Depot. Total cost around $20.00 including bungee cords to keep the machine from wandering...I also discovered my garage floor is sloped, as I have a tendency to swerve to starboard, like an unbalanced pair! And that without a port oar along. Anyway, it's a cheap way to see what slides or the dynamic erg are like inexpensively.

Why is it that the splits are so much "easier" at first? It's an amazing thing to get stroke rates above 36 on this rig; I expect it would put me in the hospital on a static erg.

User avatar
xenotheolympian
500m Poster
Posts: 71
Joined: June 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Contact:

Re: I have a Dynamic Erg :-)

Post by xenotheolympian » March 1st, 2011, 1:40 am

I got an email from a person who owns a static rowing machine and I was asked if a Dynamic rowing machine would be gentler on the back.

There are a long descriptions why the "dynamic" characteristic of a rowing machine is gentler on the body and even I wrote a piece on it here: http://www.marathon-and-rowing.com/2011 ... owing.html

The other benefit of the dynamic rowing system is that you can alternate what leg to use. Using one leg at a time puts less pressure on a sore back. Tight backs often do not lend themselves to easily compress both legs between the arms at the catch and/or even worse allow both legs to straighten out at the finish. Those with back issues know exactly what I am talking about.

Since the seat is higher of the ground with the dynamic rowing machine, the seated position is also kinder on sore backs.

On another note: A couple of days ago I spoke with a friend of mine who researched the rowing market quite a bit. He gave me an interesting clue about when to approach people who are new to rowing with my coaching service.... The sobering information is that in the first 2 weeks a rowing newcomer is open to coaching... after that, habit sets in and the window closes rapidly until the rower gets hurt or in case of competitors no further improvement in speed is noticed.

Ok that is it for tonight and just in case you are not clear about what I wrote above: GO DYNAMIC, you can take my Olympic gold and silver medalist word for it; and no I am not on the payroll for Concept2. I am just sharing information..... and looking for the two week or younger rowers lurking on the forum who are intrigued by our crazy dry land rowing community, wondering who the mad people are who post all these messages :-)

Over and out
Xeno Muller,
Olympic gold & silver medalist, Olympic record holder.
President
Remote coaching video file sharing http://www.xenorowingcoach.com
Online Rowing Workouts http://www.row2go.com

Post Reply