2k Based on 8 by 500m

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
NavigationHazard
10k Poster

Re: 2k Based on 8 by 500m

Post by NavigationHazard » October 1st, 2017, 12:26 am

Cheers Lindsay, thanks for the unsolicited plug.

As for my afflictions, back in March I had some oral surgery done and was prescribed anti-inflammatory steroids to help the recovery. They triggered type II diabetes, which I probably will have to deal with for the rest of my life. Fortunately for my erging/rowing: weight loss, dietary control, and serious exercise are all part of blood-glucose management.

Helped by some encouragement from the great Sir Steve Redgrave, a diabetic himself and the #1 example of what's achievable in our sport, I'm looking to see what I can do by way of meeting this latest challenge....
63 MH 6' 6"

McKenzie
Paddler

Re: 2k Based on 8 by 500m

Post by McKenzie » October 1st, 2017, 8:47 am

NavigationHazard wrote:Cheers, to get used to a higher stroke rate you need to 'ingrain' it in muscle memory. That's a fancy term for "the ability to reproduce a particular movement without conscious thought, acquired as a result of frequent repetition of that movement." Or more simply, doing it repetitively until you no longer need to think about it.

An effective way to target particular ratings is to set up workouts by time rather than distance, and then to count strokes so as to maintain the desired rating. By way of example: instead of (say) 4 x 1k on some predetermined rest and let the rating be whatever it works out to be, you do (say) 4 x 4' aiming for 2:00 pace at 32 strokes/minute. Then every 30 seconds of work interval, complete exactly 16 strokes at the target pace. If you want to target 34 strokes/minute, take 17 strokes every 30 seconds. Etc. It shouldn't take too long for you to 1) get the hang of keeping the rating spot on target and 2) get used to the 'feel' of various ratings.

I would add that when you're first setting out to do this, lots of short intervals tends to work better than longer pieces. You can 'reset' yourself during the rests and stay focused on rating. It's also worth noting that you can't as easily learn to do "odd" ratings such as 29 spm or 31 spm this way. But it's not impossible....
Thanks NavHaz

Will try this approach :-)
Magnus McKenzie Jakobsen
Norway, 50 years old, 5'8'', 75 kg. Started rowing August 2016, 2k at 7:44,1