Ramp test on C2 - like Wattbike

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
smeeagain
500m Poster

Re: Ramp test on C2 - like Wattbike

Post by smeeagain » February 2nd, 2018, 8:59 am

VeloMark wrote:Smee,

I'm a cycling coach, not a rowing coach, so I defer to the many more experienced rowers providing feedback. But, I'd suggest that, since you seem to 'enjoy' and are comfortable with your ramp protocol, that you replicate it on the C2.

Since you seem to be doing this for your own information and tracking of your progress (as opposed to earning a seat in a club boat that requires performance on their specific test), pretty much any consistent repeatable challenge will work.

Try setting your performance monitor to read watts. Then, using the 'Intervals' function, set up 1 minute intervals with zero rest.

This will give you consecutive 1 minute count downs (numbered intervals) until you quit. Then, focusing on the watts reading, replicate your 55 watt first interval, adding 15 watts each minute.

In my experience 15 watts is a bigger jump on the erg than on the bike, so you may want to experiment with a 10 watt ramp rate.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Mark

That's great thank you. Ive been slowly increasing duration on the ego but will look to do my first 'test' soon as benchmark. It may be that I need to do it a couple of times in the early stages to get the test right,as you say I may need to experiment, whereas previously I just did the wattbike test as it was well established.

Thans
Smee

JerekKruger
6k Poster

Post by JerekKruger » February 2nd, 2018, 9:00 am

smeeagain wrote:Aha! Now we are getting somewhere interesting ... ! Without flicking in and out of the screens, how do I know what wattage equates to a certain split? OR do i need someone standing b the machine changing the screen for me back and forth?
Ah, I had assumed you already knew. Concept 2 have a handy calculator.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

lwtguy
5k Poster

Post by lwtguy » February 2nd, 2018, 9:40 am

Hi! So we actually did a very similar test in college! We set up for 5 minutes intervals with 15 seconds of rest. Set the PM to show you average watts.

Starting at 210 Watts, you go for 5 minutes (You have the first 30 seconds to get the average to at least 210). Then you have to maintain that pace until the end.

Then you go up 30 W to 240, and so forth every five minutes until failure. Failure is when your average Watts drops below the set target. As soon as that happens, stop rowing and turn off the monitor. You have to record how far into the interval you got, based on 30 second increments (So if you failed at 3:05, it would count as 3:00).
Bill, 23, 160-165 lbs.
PBs-- 500m 1:28.9-- 1K 3:08.9-- 2K 6:37.7-- 5K 17:27.6
6K 21:11.2-- 30' 8342m-- 10K 35:54-- 60' 16209m

JerekKruger
6k Poster

Post by JerekKruger » February 2nd, 2018, 9:52 am

@Bill - that's very similar to Rojabo's Endurance test. You first do a test to determine your natural SPI, then you do a step test with 4 minute steps (no rest between steps), starting at 20 strokes per minute and going up by 2 on each step (keeping your power in line with your previously determined SPI). You keep going until you can't maintain the stroke rate and power as specified and you record the stroke rate you reached and how long was remaining of the step. Based off this the website generates you a programme. The idea is you redo the test every month or so so that it modifies its programme to align with your progress.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

smeeagain
500m Poster

Post by smeeagain » February 2nd, 2018, 12:04 pm

JerekKruger wrote:
smeeagain wrote:Aha! Now we are getting somewhere interesting ... ! Without flicking in and out of the screens, how do I know what wattage equates to a certain split? OR do i need someone standing b the machine changing the screen for me back and forth?
Ah, I had assumed you already knew. Concept 2 have a handy calculator.
Oh wow. I knew there was a calculator but assumed it translated speed per 500m into 2k times etc and hadn't realised that it could work across units of measurement.Thank you.

Never assume :)

smeeagain
500m Poster

Post by smeeagain » February 2nd, 2018, 12:06 pm

JerekKruger wrote:@Bill - that's very similar to Rojabo's Endurance test. You first do a test to determine your natural SPI, then you do a step test with 4 minute steps (no rest between steps), starting at 20 strokes per minute and going up by 2 on each step (keeping your power in line with your previously determined SPI). You keep going until you can't maintain the stroke rate and power as specified and you record the stroke rate you reached and how long was remaining of the step. Based off this the website generates you a programme. The idea is you redo the test every month or so so that it modifies its programme to align with your progress.

That's also really interesting. Thank you

Smee

lwtguy
5k Poster

Post by lwtguy » February 2nd, 2018, 2:44 pm

JerekKruger wrote:@Bill - that's very similar to Rojabo's Endurance test. You first do a test to determine your natural SPI, then you do a step test with 4 minute steps (no rest between steps), starting at 20 strokes per minute and going up by 2 on each step (keeping your power in line with your previously determined SPI). You keep going until you can't maintain the stroke rate and power as specified and you record the stroke rate you reached and how long was remaining of the step. Based off this the website generates you a programme. The idea is you redo the test every month or so so that it modifies its programme to align with your progress.
That sounds like something I don't want to do :lol:

It sounds harder than the one I described...
Bill, 23, 160-165 lbs.
PBs-- 500m 1:28.9-- 1K 3:08.9-- 2K 6:37.7-- 5K 17:27.6
6K 21:11.2-- 30' 8342m-- 10K 35:54-- 60' 16209m

JerekKruger
6k Poster

Post by JerekKruger » February 2nd, 2018, 4:53 pm

lwtguy wrote:That sounds like something I don't want to do :lol:

It sounds harder than the one I described...
Not necessarily. The fact that you have to maintain both power and stroke rate simultaneously means you don't necessarily fail due to exhaustion. You might reach a stage where the only what you can maintain the required power output is to increase your stroke rate and that's failure for this test.

That said it's still pretty unpleasant.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » February 3rd, 2018, 4:23 am

Typical fitness tests for the erg are the 30 min rate 20 (30/20) and 4 minutes.

The 4-minute test can be judged as to the tables on this page and can also be used for periodic testing:
https://indoorsportservices.co.uk/training/oneill_test

Erg step tests (25W steps of 60 or 90s to failure) were used to find MHR, not as a measure of fitness. Conconi suggested this type of test to find the AT point too.
78y, 188cm, 87kg, last seen MHR 163. 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

kerosene
500m Poster

Post by kerosene » February 3rd, 2018, 9:09 am

The benefit of ramp test over fixed time or distance that it takes out race planing. A 30min test (or 4 min) can give worse result than true potential if the piece is paced too concervatively ir optimistically.
male 40yo, 94kg, 192cm. Regular training started July 2017.
PBs: 500m_1:30.8 | 1K_3:19.2 |2K_6:58.9 |5K_19:22.7 | 10K_39:29.4 | 30min_7,542m