Returning to fitness - advice required

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
boogman
Paddler

Returning to fitness - advice required

Post by boogman » January 28th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Hey Guys

I am looking to achieve asmuch improvement in fitness as possible as quickly as possible.

before it sounds like im just another new years resolutioner, I will mention my fitness history and aims.

in the past I regularly competed in track and field events with 100m and long jump being my preference.
I had a training routine that included a minimum of 3 hours a day workout + 2 hours swimming to loosen up aswell as specific skill training.
This sadly came to an end when I hit injury and it became impossible for me to qualify for London 2012 which until that point had been my motivation.

recent changes in my life have now meant I have many hours spare to work on my fitness again.

my aim is to put on muscle mass and increase my fitness with the intention of attempting the Million Metre Row.

so I would like to ask for help,
I am 5ft10 and currently weigh 59kg, needless to say this is far too light to be at optimum fitness, and I find it incredibly hard to gain weight , what would you recommend to help me bulk up?
aswell as this does anyone have any recommendation on how i should structure my training for the endurance row?
I found in the past that after about 60k my hands and gluteus maximus became sore, so also are there my recommendation to help me row further ?

if you have read this far THANK YOU!
and I look forward to your comments!

jvincent
1k Poster

Re: Returning to fitness - advice required

Post by jvincent » January 28th, 2014, 7:58 pm

Unfortunately your adding muscle mass and long distance rowing are going to be at odds with each other.

For increasing muscle mass you want to train like a sprinter. For the other you want to train like a marathon runner. As you certainly know the two have very different body shapes when it comes to muscle type and mass.

Increasing mass/strength is best served by a bias toward shorter, higher intensity pieces. For endurance it's really about logging lots of meters.

Regarding the sore glutes, there are pads you can buy which might help. I've never attempted a distance anywhere close to 60K, so I can't comment on the effectiveness of them for that.

What hurts on your hands? If you are holding the handle correctly it should be mostly in your fingers like a hook so full finger cycling gloves might help, but I've never had an issue with my hands.

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » January 28th, 2014, 8:21 pm

Hi there

yes sadly I am aware muscle mass and toning are two opposites.
the soreness was not unbearable but I am aware if im going to try for the million meters I will be doing upwards of 120k a day on consecutive days so wouldn't have time to recover!
my fingers get tight around the knuckles

and just one last thing I just remembered , when doing long distances I find the rubbing of my arms on my knees has made sore and at worst caused enough abrasion to remove a few layers of skin

I can hold a pace of 2:20 with ease but after long distances my the wear and tear seems to get the better of me

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » January 29th, 2014, 4:03 am

Eat, eat, eat. Only that will make you gain weight. Lots of protein and fats, no sugar junk. Plenty of greens and fruit also.

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » January 29th, 2014, 8:28 am

boogman wrote:I am 5ft10 and currently weigh 59kg.
in the past I regularly competed in track and field events with 100m and long jump being my preference.

I will be doing upwards of 120k a day on consecutive days so wouldn't have time to recover!
I find the rubbing of my arms on my knees has made sore and at worst caused enough abrasion to remove a few layers of skin.
I can hold a pace of 2:20 with ease but after long distances my the wear and tear seems to get the better of me.
In the first place, I doubt if anyone reading this has done the One Million Metre event.
A pt of confusion is that most all sprinter types are relatively big. You are the size of a 5K runner.
Most people would have severe body breakdown doing 120K in one day, let alone in consecutive days.
Obviously, you need the calories to fuel your rowing. It is doubtful that you will gain much weight although surely you will gain muscle weight.
As far as training - that's easy. Do as many meters as you can.
Chafing is helped by liberal application of Vaseline on arms, armpits, legs, etc.
I think you are on your own. If you can do it without breaking down more power to you. Hopefully, you will recognize if you can't before you do permanent damage to yourself.
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 74, 76", 195lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-74: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:33.3 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » January 29th, 2014, 11:51 am

Hey cyclingman1

to answer your comment on weight, when i used to compete my weight was between 78-80kg, but have always been very lean, when i stopped training my muscle just stripped down leaving me at between 59kg

today was day 1 back at the gym, I rowed 12.5k before my heels started blistering (the ankle socks I had on were awkward)
I then moved to cycling and did a 60k cycle in 1h20m
disappointing compared to my old standards but its 20 months since my last proper cardio activity

I think my current plan of action will be to row as far as I can each day, building up hard skin on sore areas ect
And adding 10k cycling a day upto 100k
and then re analyse how I can best spend my time as by then it should be taking around 4 hours a day of exercise.

after workout feeling is sore ankles, mild hunger and slight fatigue in the latissimus dorsi and adductors.

Cyclingman1
10k Poster

Post by Cyclingman1 » January 29th, 2014, 11:59 am

boogman wrote:I think my current plan of action will be to row as far as I can each day, building up hard skin on sore areas ect ... And adding 10k cycling a day upto 100k and then re analyse how I can best spend my time as by then it should be taking around 4 hours a day of exercise.
#1 you have an exercise fetish. #2 you are independently wealthy with no need to save energy for a job. Most people, even very fit ones, would have to sleep on the job to recover from four hrs of exercise a day.

Cycling is a good alternative to build up cardiovascular. Nonetheless, the rowing muscles are going to kill you, IMHO.
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 74, 76", 195lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-74: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:33.3 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » January 29th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I am currently at uni an have found myself on a course with around 6 hours of lectures per week.
the spare time has come from the fact my realationship recently ended, so movies in bed with a pizza and a beer have ceased.

and yes I agree with the excercise fetish! I also mountainbike, sail, ski, climb and ride a motorcycle regularly

i will try to update this thread dayily with my improvements, im hoping to be at full fitness by the end of april so im healthy for my end of year exams

jvincent
1k Poster

Post by jvincent » January 29th, 2014, 1:22 pm

boogman wrote:I am currently at uni an have found myself on a course with around 6 hours of lectures per week.
Must be nice. I think the lowest I ever had when I was in school was 15 hours per week, not counting labs.

Too bad about the breakup though.

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » January 29th, 2014, 1:58 pm

you would think! tbh though its the reason the realationship failed, i have so much spare time i get bored ,

but yeh, when i find something to focus my attention on it is awesome

and cheers bro, everything changes for a reason

DanielJ
2k Poster

Post by DanielJ » January 29th, 2014, 7:08 pm

boogman wrote:I rowed 12.5k before my heels started blistering (the ankle socks I had on were awkward)
On that topic, I do a lot of long-distance walking and therefore hold a doctorate in the topic of being annoyed by blisters. But since I moved away from cotton socks a few months ago, and specifically towards nylon and especially CoolMax fabric, I haven't had a single blister. My favourite brand is Injinji, which are a bit expensive. Smartwool is another good brand I like.
30, 6'2 (1.88m); 179 lb (81 kg)
Learning, improving, getting stronger, and wanting more.
Recent tests: 1:41.7/500 for 1k; 1:34.9/500 for 2 minutes

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » January 30th, 2014, 2:10 pm

got cut fairly short today, the place where i ate lunch messed up so i ended up with double food, felt like puking for my entire workout.

body clearly not happy, blisters haven't healed as fast as i hoped and so i was compensating by putting pressure on my knee, called it a day after 2 hours before i damaged something
looks like it may take a week or two to toughen my body back up before i can really pile on the pressure

and hey dan, i switched socks today back to my moudled training ones, was much better but just the old problem, once somethings sore, its sore no matter what

boogman
Paddler

Post by boogman » February 7th, 2014, 2:09 pm

hey guys, sorry for the inactivity,
came off my bike Monday,

shattered my elbow, dislocated my shoulder and torn a ligament in my knee

so needless to say ive been off the exercise for a few days!

managed a 2k row yesterday but was starting to hurt

DanH
Paddler

Post by DanH » February 13th, 2014, 8:48 am

I've been able to find very little advice tailored specifically to endurance rowing, but there's a lot out there for endurance running, and several of my friends are regular Ironman/ultramarathon runners. The principle they use for training, which seems to be a sound one to convert across to rowing, is to build the week around two long sessions, often back to back, putting in 2-3 shorter sessions nad having free days around the longer sessions. That seems to be a much better way to get the body to adapt to distance than consistently doing mid-long sessions, which will quickly lead not just to overtraining but a lack of adaptive stimulus (as opposed to marathon training, where building up the miles more consistently can work)