Newbie Question

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
RobJones
Paddler

Newbie Question

Post by RobJones » May 20th, 2019, 5:45 am

Hi,

I've just purchased the model D with PM5 and planning to use this regularly instead of going to the gym. Few questions please:

1. With the PM5 does it store workouts on the monitor or the USB Logbook i.e. not both? I understand the benefit of the USB i.e. saving your workouts from other machines, backing them up etc. but would like to also have my workouts on the PM5 monitor. Do most people use USB?

2. When doing a 10k on Sunday I was struggling halfway through so started trying a couple of things. One of these was really shortening my stroke so effectively not sliding all the way forward. This really seemed to help the catch and my second half split ended up 1 minute quicker that first half. Not sure of the question here but guess it is linked to my poor technique, but think I may need to concentrate on that even if it is not a full stroke length.

3. Also, in London is there anywhere to go to having coaching lessons (I'm SE London)?

Thanks,
Rob

Dino
1k Poster

Re: Newbie Question

Post by Dino » May 20th, 2019, 6:05 am

Welcome!
You can store on USB or on the Monitor, not both. If a USB is inserted it will write to the USB. You can transfer between monitor and USB as well.
I use USB plus Link to ErgData on my phone.
Ergdata will sync direct to your online logbook. With USB you will need to use the PC utility to upload to online logbook.
Ergdata records a lot more data than monitor/USB which is useful for analysis.
I would use the online logbook as the master source of all your workouts, uploaded from USB or Ergdata.

For classes, have a look here: https://www.britishrowing.org/indoor-rowing/go-row-indoor/where-to-indoor-row/go-row-indoor-classes/
51 HWT M - age group verified percentiles based on 2019 season, long term target to get above 75% for all (although maybe not the FM!)
500m (63rd), 1k (64th), 2k (73rd), 5k (83rd), 30m (84th), 10k (82nd), 60m (76th), HM (85th), FM (72nd)

alien878
Paddler

Post by alien878 » May 20th, 2019, 6:15 am

I can maybe answer (1).

Workouts can be stored either on the monitor or on USB. Not both. I use USB because there is some functionality that is strangely not available without it:
  • Wireless connections (ex. HRM) can be saved on USB so connections do not need to be accepted manually each time.
  • There is a new workout menu item, "Favorites", that can easily be customized with your favorite workouts.
  • The "Custom" workouts can only be customized by plugging in a USB and copying Favorite workouts to it (although they remain available after removing the USB, unlike Favorites).
I just leave a USB stick plugged into the PM for these reasons. I use Ergdata to collect the workouts because it is easier to sync with the logbook and contains more detailed data. If something goes wrong with my Ergdata connection, I still have the workout on the USB stick as backup. The logbook is good at not duplicating workouts if I occasionally sync the USB stick instead of Ergdata.

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Post by jamesg » May 20th, 2019, 6:24 am

Well done.

Standalone, the PM5 stores our results. Using ergdata, results are stored on the PM and also on the phone. Never used a plug, so see above.

Style is essential to rowing effectively. Best place to learn to row is a boat club, so pu' on yer titfer and go. If you're close to the water you could try Curlew in Greenwich (near the Naval College and Cutty Sark) or Poplar and Blackwall, which must be somewhere near the Isle of Dogs exit of the foot tunnel. Both have websites and plenty of boats if you want to risk going afloat on tidal water.

There's rowing on the Royal Docks too, no tide and sheltered.
https://www.londonsroyaldocks.com/london-watersports-centre/
78y, 188cm, 87kg, MHR 155. Last 2k (24 May 19) 8.46.6@22

jimmyshand
2k Poster

Post by jimmyshand » May 20th, 2019, 9:09 am

RobJones wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 5:45 am
Hi,

I've just purchased the model D with PM5 and planning to use this regularly instead of going to the gym. Few questions please:

1. With the PM5 does it store workouts on the monitor or the USB Logbook i.e. not both? I understand the benefit of the USB i.e. saving your workouts from other machines, backing them up etc. but would like to also have my workouts on the PM5 monitor. Do most people use USB?

2. When doing a 10k on Sunday I was struggling halfway through so started trying a couple of things. One of these was really shortening my stroke so effectively not sliding all the way forward. This really seemed to help the catch and my second half split ended up 1 minute quicker that first half. Not sure of the question here but guess it is linked to my poor technique, but think I may need to concentrate on that even if it is not a full stroke length.

3. Also, in London is there anywhere to go to having coaching lessons (I'm SE London)?

Thanks,
Rob
Hi Rob, welcome. Some answers below. If you use the machine properly it will change your life! But it can be a bit of a mystery at first, even though it is simple enough in theory.

1. If you have your own machine, I'd suggest using the ErgData app - I also bought a smartphone cradle for my PM5 and it's a great setup - plus it's only £5 I simply connect my PM5 to ErgData when I row and it records all data then I sync it with my Concept2 Logbook and that's that.

https://shop-uk.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/353-smartphone-cradle-for-pm3-pm4-and-pm5.html - smartphone cradle

2. It is really important in my opinion that you sort out your stoke before doing much else. This is best done by filming yourself and comparing it to the videos online. Also by uploading a video here for advice if you're brave enough. It's a simple enough movement but easy to get it wrong and at least for me it was hard to get it right - not that I'm perfect by any means, even after a couple of years. When I first began I was hammering it far too fast, rating like 28 spm or above with bad form and that's just a waste of energy.

3. No idea about that I'm afraid but good luck. Others on here are more local to you.

It's a good idea to mix up sessions too for a bit of variety but first thing I'd do if I were you is nail down the stroke and aim for good form.

The 10k is a good solid row to get going though.
42 years old - 97kg/214lbs - 198cm/6'6" - I live in England

PBs -
1k 3:15.6 | 2k 6:51.4 | 5k 18:25.2 | 30min 8,016m | 10k 37:53.6 | 60min 15,254m | HM 1:25:38.4

Rowing since March 2017. Real name is Alasdair.

RobJones
Paddler

Post by RobJones » May 20th, 2019, 10:24 am

Hi, many thanks for the replies.

I've bought the cradle now and will use ErgData and the USB I think.

I was going to film my technique but not sure if I'm brave enough to post online, hence the request for a personal coach :)

Regards,
Rob

mitchel674
5k Poster

Post by mitchel674 » May 20th, 2019, 10:35 am

Welcome and congrats on your new erg.

As a general rule, we try to lengthen our stroke. When you describe shortening your stroke, I cannot imagine that this would be to your advantage. Perhaps a bit of time watching the Concept 2 videos on technique would be worth your while. Take the time now to try and master the form.
54yo male, 6ft, 162lbs

jimmyshand
2k Poster

Post by jimmyshand » May 20th, 2019, 10:39 am

RobJones wrote:
May 20th, 2019, 10:24 am
Hi, many thanks for the replies.

I've bought the cradle now and will use ErgData and the USB I think.

I was going to film my technique but not sure if I'm brave enough to post online, hence the request for a personal coach :)

Regards,
Rob
You should definitely do it! Or at least film yourself and watch it back even if you don't share it. Stick it on a personal youtube link that only you can see then watch at 50% speed or less and you'll really quickly see how you're getting on. I did this and could see that, for example, I was wasting energy by doing things in the wrong order - knees still bent while I was pulling with arms.

It's really a massive time saver. If I was giving my old self advice this would be number 1.
42 years old - 97kg/214lbs - 198cm/6'6" - I live in England

PBs -
1k 3:15.6 | 2k 6:51.4 | 5k 18:25.2 | 30min 8,016m | 10k 37:53.6 | 60min 15,254m | HM 1:25:38.4

Rowing since March 2017. Real name is Alasdair.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » May 20th, 2019, 11:18 am

Re Film, even looking yourself could be usefull. No direct need to show it publicly.

As a beginner you can really look at your technique, there are no flaws ingrained yet, so use this to your advantage.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » May 20th, 2019, 11:28 am

Congrats on the purchase; you won't regret it.

I used to use a USB, but then my impatient wife knocked it whilst tidying and broke it so I lost my sessions. Since them I haven't bothered but it was good as previously mentioned to store your favourite workouts.

Ergdata is great but don't get too worried about the data it shows other than comparing your own sessions. It can be a bit disheartening for some when they compare, for example, drive length

I suspect, but I may be wrong, if you shortened your stroke you have got more power than base fitness. Only time and lots and lots of metres will change that, but a 10k is a long distance regardless so doing more of them at a slow steady pace will be really helpful.

Videoing your technique will be very useful if you are shortening when it gets tough. Going slower might be more advisable
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman