Technique advice - fast newbie

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
bfg
Paddler

Technique advice - fast newbie

Post by bfg » June 14th, 2019, 7:20 am

Hi all!

I started training regularly on the Concept 2 this year and have been able to complete some decent times for 2000 m and 5000 m, but I am not quite sure about my technique. I have seen that this forum is generous with advice for beginners, and hope that I can get some feedback on my form and advice on next steps in training.

I filmed a submax 2000 m and uploaded it. For some reason it stopped filming after 3 min... 6:56, rate 25, drag factor about 125. Rowed what felt natural, not too much focus on technique (ie. like I would do a max test).
https://youtu.be/TlLcGNCswSQ

Thanks in advance!

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: Technique advice - fast newbie

Post by hjs » June 14th, 2019, 9:24 am

bfg wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 7:20 am
Hi all!

I started training regularly on the Concept 2 this year and have been able to complete some decent times for 2000 m and 5000 m, but I am not quite sure about my technique. I have seen that this forum is generous with advice for beginners, and hope that I can get some feedback on my form and advice on next steps in training.

I filmed a submax 2000 m and uploaded it. For some reason it stopped filming after 3 min... 6:56, rate 25, drag factor about 125. Rowed what felt natural, not too much focus on technique (ie. like I would do a max test).
https://youtu.be/TlLcGNCswSQ

Thanks in advance!
Tall guy, looking at seat/rail. Nice startingpoint.

Legs look fine, rocking over is ok.
Drag seems high, which makes it lumpy looking. You do start the stroke with your back, should be more legs first.
You also drop the hands very low, moving more in a straight vertical plane will be more economic.

Rating for a real 2k should be a good bit higher, 30 is more or less the minimun.

In general, try to move more smooth, start the stroke sitting strong and start with the legs to push and not by pulling the back. Check your drag, could be mistaken, but looks high. Try 120/30 ish. And meters will help, try to row smooth with no waisted movements.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » June 14th, 2019, 11:12 am

Sound advice from Henry!

Actually fairly decent stuff for a newbie... and nice performance figures too. I notice on the recovery the typical newbie technique flaw of lifting the hands over the knees. Hands should clear first, before bending the knees :idea:
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/log

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » June 14th, 2019, 11:35 am

Anth_F wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:12 am
Sound advice from Henry!

Actually fairly decent stuff for a newbie... and nice performance figures too. I notice on the recovery the typical newbie technique flaw of lifting the hands over the knees. Hands should clear first, before bending the knees :idea:
Defo. The handle should move on a straight line, and your knees (theoretically) being pulled up / pushed down by the handle passing over.

Also imagine you're jumping away from the erg when you drive. This is great advice that I have taken from Henry a while ago and it helps with the mind body connection if your instinct is telling you to pull with your arms
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

bfg
Paddler

Post by bfg » June 14th, 2019, 11:42 am

Thanks!
It's nice to have some benefit from being tall and heavy :D

It also feels like it should be smoother, so that makes sense! Lately I've been trying to use the same stroke for all ratings, with the same work per stroke (SPI), after browsing the forum... I think I'm on the right track, but the rhytm is harder to get right. For this row I tried to keep rate 24 to 25 at pace 1:45, which is a higher SPI than I did on my best 2000 m (6:34 at rate 31). That may explain why it seemed like high drag (drag factor was 122).

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » June 14th, 2019, 1:16 pm

bfg wrote:
June 14th, 2019, 11:42 am
Thanks!
It's nice to have some benefit from being tall and heavy :D

It also feels like it should be smoother, so that makes sense! Lately I've been trying to use the same stroke for all ratings, with the same work per stroke (SPI), after browsing the forum... I think I'm on the right track, but the rhytm is harder to get right. For this row I tried to keep rate 24 to 25 at pace 1:45, which is a higher SPI than I did on my best 2000 m (6:34 at rate 31). That may explain why it seemed like high drag (drag factor was 122).
Thats indeed not high, could be a matter of you simply not being used to this stroke. 6.34 is very decent, nice point to work from. Don,t start overthinking things. Try to keep your back waiting and keep your hands in one plane. If you get those things better, you have a solid base to work with. Enjoy :D
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing