New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 4023
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » October 25th, 2017, 3:45 pm

Well done Scott! I don't say this in any way other than a 'gut feeling' but I think you can get close to if not break 8k in 30 mins with no restrictions. It will be hard but I reckon it's within your grasp.

Better minds than me will be able to give you a scientific view but I just get my headphones on, lock in and get on it! I find thinking that there's a limit to what i can do is counter productive. Belief is a massive part of achievement especially when you're young
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

DavidA
10k Poster
Posts: 1046
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 4:35 pm
Location: Amberley Village, OH
Contact:

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by DavidA » October 25th, 2017, 4:28 pm

sdr2017 wrote:I completed a 2K this morning in 7:57. Yeah! That is the first time I have gone under 8 minutes.

I started rowing in February, and was rowing a 2K in around 9:20 after a few weeks. An 8 minute 2K seemed hopelessly far away. I am pleased with my progress and will see what the future brings.
Congratulations! It's always nice to break a 'significant' level like that.

David
59 y / 70 kg / 173 cm / 5 kids / 12 grandkids :)
Received my model C erg 18-Dec-1994

User avatar
Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2638
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Anth_F » October 25th, 2017, 5:17 pm

mdpfirrman wrote:
Anth - Didn't see that one a day or so ago. Nice leap for you too on the 5K! That's a hard row.
Hi Mike, thanks very much. And yeah for sure, 18 seconds shaved off my previous PB.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1261966

Scott Lewis
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Scott Lewis » October 26th, 2017, 5:13 am

Dangerscouse wrote:Well done Scott! I don't say this in any way other than a 'gut feeling' but I think you can get close to if not break 8k in 30 mins with no restrictions. It will be hard but I reckon it's within your grasp.

Better minds than me will be able to give you a scientific view but I just get my headphones on, lock in and get on it! I find thinking that there's a limit to what i can do is counter productive. Belief is a massive part of achievement especially when you're young
Seriously? My PB right now is 7592m!

That means I would be holding 1:52.5! I think a little bit less is probably more believable at the moment. 7750 a lot more likely!

Thanks for the enthusiasm though... But I don't think I'm quite at a 6:50 2k yet!
Last edited by Scott Lewis on October 26th, 2017, 5:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scrawny 192cm ... 2k in 7:17.4

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 4023
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » October 26th, 2017, 5:25 am

Hahaha, maybe my optimism is getting a bit out of control!

You have improved by circa 260m on a restricted rate so with no restrictions I reckon you've got an additional 300-350m in you i.e. breaking 7900m and possibly up to 7950m

I assume your 7592m PB was done before your latest restricted PB? It might not happen first attempt but you are rapidly getting closer and with more training it will happen quickly.

Convince yourself it's possible and don't let your subconscious talk you out of it. The mind plays a very powerful role in getting PBs
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Scott Lewis
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Scott Lewis » October 26th, 2017, 5:46 am

Dangerscouse wrote:Hahaha, maybe my optimism is getting a bit out of control!

You have improved by circa 260m on a restricted rate so with no restrictions I reckon you've got an additional 300-350m in you i.e. breaking 7900m and possibly up to 7950m

I assume your 7592m PB was done before your latest restricted PB? It might not happen first attempt but you are rapidly getting closer and with more training it will happen quickly.

Convince yourself it's possible and don't let your subconscious talk you out of it. The mind plays a very powerful role in getting PBs
Thanks for the encouragement. My last PB was only about a month ago! I could perhaps be good at low rate stuff. Maybe it was very conservative! The rate restricted PB was after 4 hours OTW as well so maybe you're not wrong!
Scrawny 192cm ... 2k in 7:17.4

JerekKruger
6k Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by JerekKruger » October 26th, 2017, 6:18 am

@Mike - thanks, I think it's safe to say I'm still in my beginner phase. Hopefully it'll last a while longer.

@Stu - well the main area that can be improved is my fitness, my natural pace at 26SPM is around 1:48/1:47 so I just need to become fit enough to hold that for 18 minutes. I'm probably not going to do another 5k till the new year, so I expect a PB too :mrgreen:

@Scott - thanks, and well done on your 30r20. I suspect you'll beat 7500m in no time! As far as your free rated 30' it really depends on how high a stroke rate you can maintain for it. My best free rated 30' is only 7837m but that was at 21.5SPM, if I had the fitness to row at, say, 24SPM I would go further obviously. In any case, even if you can't do 8000m now I'm sure it won't be long before you can.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

Image

Scott Lewis
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Scott Lewis » October 26th, 2017, 7:47 am

JerekKruger wrote:@Mike - thanks, I think it's safe to say I'm still in my beginner phase. Hopefully it'll last a while longer.

@Stu - well the main area that can be improved is my fitness, my natural pace at 26SPM is around 1:48/1:47 so I just need to become fit enough to hold that for 18 minutes. I'm probably not going to do another 5k till the new year, so I expect a PB too :mrgreen:

@Scott - thanks, and well done on your 30r20. I suspect you'll beat 7500m in no time! As far as your free rated 30' it really depends on how high a stroke rate you can maintain for it. My best free rated 30' is only 7837m but that was at 21.5SPM, if I had the fitness to row at, say, 24SPM I would go further obviously. In any case, even if you can't do 8000m now I'm sure it won't be long before you can.
Thanks Tom. My previous PB was at 27spm. Hopefully it won't be long before I can get to 8000 bit I'm thinking a year or two yet!
Scrawny 192cm ... 2k in 7:17.4

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 4023
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » October 26th, 2017, 9:25 am

Interestingly I found rowing recently at 23spm a lot harder than my usual 27/28spm. I think I'd struggle to go faster than 1:55 @ 23spm for a 5k but at 27/28 I can comfortably sit at 1:48

Does everyone else find slower SPMs easier? I work on the basis that if you can crank up the strokes the time will be significantly quicker
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
DNA_Rower
1k Poster
Posts: 141
Joined: October 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by DNA_Rower » October 26th, 2017, 9:52 am

JerekKruger wrote:New 5k PB today - 18:37.0. Just over 20s improvement on my previous PB, and at significantly lower rate (23.3 vs 25). I also had a significant sprint in me for the final 250m so there's room for improvement, but overall I'm quite pleased.
Nice one - I had a similar breakthrough on Monday and knocked 11s off my 5K PB to be just 0.5s slower than you. I should have pulled a little bit harder. :wink:

Looks like we have quite similar times - wish I had your extra weight and height - you'll be far ahead of me soon!
A: 40; H: 184cm; W: 77kg.
PBs: 2k 6:56.9; 10k 38:32.0;6k 22:40.9 (all 2017/2018). 5k 18:29.5; 30min 8,005m (2020)
Doing PP|Hate the heat

JerekKruger
6k Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by JerekKruger » October 26th, 2017, 11:56 am

DNA_Rower wrote:Nice one - I had a similar breakthrough on Monday and knocked 11s off my 5K PB to be just 0.5s slower than you. I should have pulled a little bit harder. :wink:
Thanks, and well done on your 5k. It's nice being firmly sub-19 isn't it.
Looks like we have quite similar times - wish I had your extra weight and height - you'll be far ahead of me soon!
Huh, we are surprisingly similar aren't we. I wouldn't be too sure about me being far ahead of you though.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

Image

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 4023
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Dangerscouse » October 28th, 2017, 8:24 am

60km PB this morning 4:14:16. Admittedly I haven't done 60km before so any time is a PB but that's not the point!
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Scott Lewis
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:32 pm

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Scott Lewis » October 28th, 2017, 3:39 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:60km PB this morning 4:14:16. Admittedly I haven't done 60km before so any time is a PB but that's not the point!
Same here! Got my first 500m PB at 1:40.7. Not as fast as it should be but I blame it on being stupid. (I did it in a thick rugby shirt, jeans and a belt. Also no shoes, which made it difficult as I feel uncomfortable without.) Quite happy for a first time PB in a rushed fashion. Hope 2-3 seconds faster next time I try in a proper fashion!
Scrawny 192cm ... 2k in 7:17.4

JerekKruger
6k Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by JerekKruger » October 28th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Scott Lewis wrote:Same here! Got my first 500m PB at 1:40.7. Not as fast as it should be but I blame it on being stupid. (I did it in a thick rugby shirt, jeans and a belt. Also no shoes, which made it difficult as I feel uncomfortable without.) Quite happy for a first time PB in a rushed fashion. Hope 2-3 seconds faster next time I try in a proper fashion!
I suspect you could pull a 1:35, possibly even faster. Your current PBs are remarkably similar to my own when I rowed at uni* (7:12 2k and 19:29 5k) as is your height and weight (I was 6'5" back then and around 75kg), and back then I pulled a 1:32 500m in a race so I imagine you could do similar.

That said, I wouldn't put too much effort into it as a distance. The important distances for the sport of rowing at 2k and up.

*Don't imagine an american collegiate rower: I was rowing at a much lower level than that.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

Image

User avatar
Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2638
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: New Personal Best! Brag About That New Pb!

Post by Anth_F » October 28th, 2017, 6:04 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:60km PB this morning 4:14:16. Admittedly I haven't done 60km before so any time is a PB but that's not the point!
Congrats on the PB mate! 60km on the erg ain't no cakewalk thats for sure.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1261966

Post Reply