Technique Troubleshooting (not in FAQ)

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
HeavyDluxe
Paddler

Technique Troubleshooting (not in FAQ)

Post by HeavyDluxe » August 27th, 2020, 3:31 pm

Hi, all. I'm brand new to rowing on the C2 - literally in the first week of intentional 'workouts' at home. I've posted an intro over in the weight loss forum since, well, my primary wellness goal right now is weight loss.

The typical beginner plans I've seen (Pete's, etc) seemed a little ambitious for this 45y/o round guy, and I want to avoid injury so I decided to ramp up slowly and attempt to build a good mechanical foundation. Notice the 'attempt' and 'good' as opposed to 'build' and 'sound'. :)

I found Dark Horse Rowing's youtube and decided to start by just repeating their 10min Beginner Workout for at least a couple weeks. Link here for the curious, but it's mainly three brief full stroke periods at a low rate (15-16?) with pick and rev pick drill progressions in between.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYQEP66O9bk

Once I've done that a while, I planned to move so that MWF are rowing intervals, adding time and reducing rest as fitness allows, and TuTh are technique focused. And progressing from there - maybe to Pete's Beginner program when the snow flies (which isn't too far away here in VT).

I've been pleased that I've seen/felt improvements each time (#4 just done). But I've also started to notice a couple mechanical/technical things not addressed in the video. FOR NOW, they're no big deal and may work themselves out as I get used to rowing, build a bit of strength or fitness, or whatever. But, I'm a bit obsessive about 'knowing' things, so I wanted to ask for thoughts so I have them ready.

TLDR starts here:
1) My dominant side quad has been noticeably more 'sore' and tired than it's partner. Best ideas for addressing leg imbalances in terms of just ensuring things are firing on the other side?

2) In the video I'm watching, the seat of the rower seems really steady during the swing of the hips back forward after the finish. When I swing forward, the seat 'wiggles. My legs are locked, but it feels like I'm not swinging at the core somehow, I guess? Back-rounding?

Would love any thoughts... I'm wanting to be in this for the long haul, and would rather not deeply ingrain stuff that just needs to be gutted later. But, I also know that some of these things will get easier as my shape becomes something other than spherical. :)

Thanks for reading/replying.

mict450
2k Poster

Re: Technique Troubleshooting (not in FAQ)

Post by mict450 » August 27th, 2020, 3:55 pm

HeavyDluxe wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:31 pm

1) My dominant side quad has been noticeably more 'sore' and tired than it's partner. Best ideas for addressing leg imbalances in terms of just ensuring things are firing on the other side?
One-legged drills. Search youtube for how-to.
HeavyDluxe wrote:
August 27th, 2020, 3:31 pm

2) In the video I'm watching, the seat of the rower seems really steady during the swing of the hips back forward after the finish. When I swing forward, the seat 'wiggles. My legs are locked, but it feels like I'm not swinging at the core somehow, I guess? Back-rounding?
Don't quite know what you mean by "wiggle". If you're not bashful, posting a video will help. To help w/body swing, sit up. Note how violinists in a symphony orchestra sit....erect, on the front half of their chairs. Back-rounding and lumbar spine do not go well together when erging. Make sure you keep your core braced, like your were expecting a punch to the midsection. Core work will help you keep from slouching.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA