What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
OtwSL
1k Poster
Posts: 180
Joined: November 23rd, 2017, 4:21 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by OtwSL » January 29th, 2018, 4:35 am

Getting there @Stu
WattsFromNotts wrote:@Scott, some serious metres in your 8+ there! What kind of intensity is that done at?
Low rate. Probably about 18-22 and full pressure, so hard strokes. I'd say probably high UT2/Low UT1. Very technique focussed as well so overall a hard but rewarding session!
Stop for turns every 2.5k or so, so it isn't like we row 28k in a oner. Also have a break halfway through to take boat in and to refuel!
Probably 75kg 6ft 4inches
Image
30r20: 7765m
Targets for 2018: 100m 16.6, 2k sub 6:45, 5k sub 18:00, 10k sub 37:30, 30' 8100m, 30r20 7900m

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3581
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » January 29th, 2018, 4:56 am

Monday PM
5x 8'/2'R @1:59.8
df128 sr27 203w
2:07 (135)
1:59 (149)
1:57 (159)
1:56 (165)
1:59 (163)

5' @2:14
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

User avatar
Gammmmo
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2254
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Gammmmo » January 29th, 2018, 10:28 am

C2: 7.5K mainly @~2:00/500m but including 1.5K@1:41.6 (2K training,felt good...after 2 coffees :D )
WEIGHTS: squats,deads,overhead-press,incline-press,bicep-curls,tricep-bench-dips
Paul, 49M, 5'11" 83kg (sprint PBs HWT), ex biker now lifting
Deadlift=190kg, LP=1:15, 100m=15.7s, 1min=350m Image
Targets: 14s (100m), 355m+ 1min, 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K)

Erg on!

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5681
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » January 29th, 2018, 11:53 am

Gammmmo wrote:
C2: 1.5K@1:41.6 (2K training
Ooff, just a tiny bit faster and 500m more and you're under the 6:45 target Paul. I think you need to adjust your target
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
Gammmmo
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2254
Joined: March 26th, 2016, 1:12 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Gammmmo » January 29th, 2018, 11:55 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
Gammmmo wrote:
C2: 1.5K@1:41.6 (2K training
Ooff, just a tiny bit faster and 500m more and you're under the 6:45 target Paul. I think you need to adjust your target
It's high time I set a new 2K PB. The existing one is from ~2005 and stands at 6:48.1 so something in the mid 6:40s would be more inline with that freak 17:55 I did certainly. Work in progress. BTW went from my usual DF of ~121 to ~125 for this and it felt better. I've noticed the increased stroke power required for the 2K (a distance I've shunned since my "comeback" started about 18 months ago) is exposing my poor form to the point where I have to really up the rate periodically and even half-slide a bit to keep the average where I want. All a bit messy really, but the bottom line *is* the final time I suppose.
Last edited by Gammmmo on January 29th, 2018, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul, 49M, 5'11" 83kg (sprint PBs HWT), ex biker now lifting
Deadlift=190kg, LP=1:15, 100m=15.7s, 1min=350m Image
Targets: 14s (100m), 355m+ 1min, 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K)

Erg on!

JerekKruger
6k Poster
Posts: 916
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:50 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by JerekKruger » January 29th, 2018, 11:57 am

Dangerscouse wrote:Ooff, just a tiny bit faster and 500m more and you're under the 6:45 target Paul. I think you need to adjust your target
Was thinking the same thing.
Tom | 33 | 6'6" | 93kg

Image

User avatar
AnimalNige
2k Poster
Posts: 329
Joined: January 21st, 2014, 5:40 am
Location: Nottinghamshire/Bédoin

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by AnimalNige » January 29th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I recently sent a request to the concept 2 logbook to show day names as well as dates next to workouts on the log. It's useful to see weekly patterns. I should rest a little before a weekend's bike riding, then do recovery on a Monday. No response from them, so I'm using a Chrome plugin which those of you who use Chrome can use.

Install it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jija?hl=en

Then go to https://log.concept2.com/log, and click the plugin's icon at the top right, and paste in this script:

Code: Select all

const dayName = [
          'Sunday',
          'Monday',
          'Tuesday',
          'Wednesday',
          'Thursday',
          'Friday',
          'Saturday'
      ],
      dateCells = document.querySelectorAll('table#log-table td:first-child'),
      parseDate = /(\d+)\/(\d+)\/(\d+)/;

for (let dateCell of dateCells) {
    const dateParts = parseDate.exec(dateCell.innerText),
        workoutDate = new Date(2000 + parseInt(dateParts[3]), parseInt(dateParts[2]) - 1, parseInt(dateParts[1]));
        
    dateCell.innerText += ' - ' + dayName[workoutDate.getDay()];
}
So immediately after loading, it will change to look like this:
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 16.26.29.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-29 at 16.26.29.jpg (14.39 KiB) Viewed 3104 times
56yo, 6'2" 77.5kg. Cyclist, rock climber and recently, erger.

WattsFromNotts
Paddler
Posts: 39
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 8:42 am
Location: UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by WattsFromNotts » January 29th, 2018, 12:43 pm

@Stu, thanks. Great consistency and then recovery for your final split.

@Paul, I concur, looks like you're good for that current 2k target!

Monday, 29 Jan

60:00. 14,526m, 2:03.9, R19, HR 154, df 99.

Lunchtime training. 45mins of relatively controlled pace, 15mins of gradually increasing intensity.

Image
Dave >> 40 >>193cm >> 92kg

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5681
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » January 29th, 2018, 1:09 pm

@ Paul, I have found the higher df (I've gone from 115 to 139) quite hard aerobically but it does feel better. When I get used to it in hoping to see some benefit.

I need to re-test my 2k. Mine is from 2010 I think
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Rod
10k Poster
Posts: 1065
Joined: December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Rod » January 29th, 2018, 4:08 pm

5 x 750.3:30r

Average pace..................1:44.4
SPM.............................37
DF...............................120

Target was recent 2k race pace (1:44.8) so well pleased to have beaten it by so much.

After failing miserably last week on 4 x 1k.5'r confidence fell but now it's back up high again!
63 year old, 72 kilo (159lbs), 5'8''/174cm (always the shortest on the podium!) male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best recent rows 60 mins.....16011 metres. 30 mins.....8215 metres. 100k 7hrs 14 mins.(World 60-69 Lwt. Record)

VeloMark
500m Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: December 1st, 2017, 8:21 pm
Location: Sierra Foothills, California, USA

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by VeloMark » January 29th, 2018, 4:21 pm

Paul - Agree with the others here, as impressive as your 2K goal is, it sure appears it's only a stepping stone to even more. Keep up the good work! I've also found a little higher DF to my benefit @ 2K. It feels like I get a quicker and more solid connection immediately @ the start of my drive.

Stu - I'd trade my new carbon fiber wheels to have a great day that was anywhere near your bad day! I have great respect for you distance guys, and will likely move in that direction myself, but I am keenly waiting to see what you do @ 2K when you put your mind to it.

Nige - Great suggestion, I hope the C2 guys are listening. Also, I haven't commented yet, but find great inspiration in your workouts and accomplishments. Well done!

Rod - You've done all the work, your numbers are amazing, now all you've got to do is show up and row. While your training numbers show you won't need luck, I'll be sending some your way just in case ;-)

6 days until my race. For my taper I plan to continue with intense work (dialed back 2% or so) while scaling back the volume. I will skip my Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday bike intervals this week, which should help my taper tremendously. After the race I'll switch back to my bike focus, while coming up with a plan to try and hold onto my erg fitness.

Started the day off with 30 minutes on the stationary trainer @ <99 bpm. Next was 5K on the erg using Fletcher's 2K race warm up. I've no idea the warm up situation at my upcoming race, but hope I can get this same warm up done. I've done it now a few dozen times in training and hope to use it Saturday.

Then 4 x 1K/3r. Pace was solid and tough, but controlled, didn't sprint the final interval. Felt good keeping this at ~97%, my hope is that I'll do something similar Wednesday and feel even better.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
14:19.9 4,000m 1:47.4 282 1269 34 155
3:36.8 1,000m 1:48.4 275 1244 33 149
3:35.9 1,000m 1:47.9 278 1256 34 155
3:34.8 1,000m 1:47.4 283 1271 34 158
3:32.3 1,000m 1:46.1 293 1306 35 160
58, 6ft, 150 lb
2K 7:04.3, 5K 18:42.6

OtwSL
1k Poster
Posts: 180
Joined: November 23rd, 2017, 4:21 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by OtwSL » January 29th, 2018, 4:31 pm

VeloMark wrote:Paul - Agree with the others here, as impressive as your 2K goal is, it sure appears it's only a stepping stone to even more. Keep up the good work! I've also found a little higher DF to my benefit @ 2K. It feels like I get a quicker and more solid connection immediately @ the start of my drive.

Stu - I'd trade my new carbon fiber wheels to have a great day that was anywhere near your bad day! I have great respect for you distance guys, and will likely move in that direction myself, but I am keenly waiting to see what you do @ 2K when you put your mind to it.

Nige - Great suggestion, I hope the C2 guys are listening. Also, I haven't commented yet, but find great inspiration in your workouts and accomplishments. Well done!

Rod - You've done all the work, your numbers are amazing, now all you've got to do is show up and row. While your training numbers show you won't need luck, I'll be sending some your way just in case ;-)

6 days until my race. For my taper I plan to continue with intense work (dialed back 2% or so) while scaling back the volume. I will skip my Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday bike intervals this week, which should help my taper tremendously. After the race I'll switch back to my bike focus, while coming up with a plan to try and hold onto my erg fitness.

Started the day off with 30 minutes on the stationary trainer @ <99 bpm. Next was 5K on the erg using Fletcher's 2K race warm up. I've no idea the warm up situation at my upcoming race, but hope I can get this same warm up done. I've done it now a few dozen times in training and hope to use it Saturday.

Then 4 x 1K/3r. Pace was solid and tough, but controlled, didn't sprint the final interval. Felt good keeping this at ~97%, my hope is that I'll do something similar Wednesday and feel even better.

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
14:19.9 4,000m 1:47.4 282 1269 34 155
3:36.8 1,000m 1:48.4 275 1244 33 149
3:35.9 1,000m 1:47.9 278 1256 34 155
3:34.8 1,000m 1:47.4 283 1271 34 158
3:32.3 1,000m 1:46.1 293 1306 35 160
Great job Mark. Make sure to rest up but it's looking good for race day!
Rod wrote:5 x 750.3:30r

Average pace..................1:44.4
SPM.............................37
DF...............................120

Target was recent 2k race pace (1:44.8) so well pleased to have beaten it by so much.

After failing miserably last week on 4 x 1k.5'r confidence fell but now it's back up high again!
Rod I have every bit of confidence that you will get in faster than your last race. Keep up the good work and good luck!
Probably 75kg 6ft 4inches
Image
30r20: 7765m
Targets for 2018: 100m 16.6, 2k sub 6:45, 5k sub 18:00, 10k sub 37:30, 30' 8100m, 30r20 7900m

VeloMark
500m Poster
Posts: 97
Joined: December 1st, 2017, 8:21 pm
Location: Sierra Foothills, California, USA

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by VeloMark » January 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm

Thanks Scott. First race is always a bit of a guess as to the perfect taper, but on the bike I tend to ride best with a minimal taper, cutting duration while continuing with the intensity. Bigger concern for me is neuromuscular specificity. It's far from ideal to be switching back and forth between hard bike workouts and hard erg workouts. I find that doing several workouts for one sport, then switching to the other, it takes several hard efforts to re-educate my legs as to what's expected. My last hard ride was last Saturday, so I need to get a few hard erg sessions in before race day.

It's all an experiment, and a fun puzzle to try and workout. In the end though, it's all for fun. And, since my race is heavyweight only, I'll be more concerned with gaining the experience than battling for the podium.
58, 6ft, 150 lb
2K 7:04.3, 5K 18:42.6

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5681
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » January 29th, 2018, 5:10 pm

@ Mark, best of luck with the race. Your 1k training is looking good mate, and the experience will be great for you. I should take the plunge and do a competition sometime soon.

Thanks for the comment, re: my 'bad days'. I guess it's just all about being as good as you can be. I'll never be as good as a lot of ergers but I just want to find my level. Distance is more naturally what I'm better at so I should be focusing more on my weaknesses which are the shorter distances. I'm not used to pain anymore so I need to become a masochist again!!

@ Rod, great to see the occasional bad sessions you have are always followed by a great session. You are shaping up perfectly for the competition.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 20:47; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
DNA_Rower
1k Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: October 16th, 2011, 7:08 pm
Location: Berlin, Germany
Contact:

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by DNA_Rower » January 29th, 2018, 5:36 pm

Did 8k today. Again it was a bit of a struggle to get under 2:00 pace.

Given the sprints and intervals I did last week were not too far off 2017 pace, I seem to have more of a problem with the distance stuff. Maybe the block is psychological. Not sure. I'm going to do 1x 3 week cycle of the Pete Plan then see if I can do a hard distance piece again at a decent pace. Need to get that 8k 30min target back in sight.

That said I do have to meet the ex at the weekend so that might set me back a year again. :lol:
A: 40; H: 184cm; W: 76kg.
PBs: 2k 6:56.9; 6k 22:40.9 (all 2017/2018). 5k 18:28.9; 30min 8,005m; 10k 38:09.8 (2020)
Doing PP|Hate the heat

Post Reply