What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 2052
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » October 22nd, 2019, 4:35 pm

Interval row session after work....should have been 8x500m/2'R but only just managed 7 :roll: . Target was 1:44/45 (2km-4') but I dug myself a hole on the first interval with some ego pacing and paid the price later on. Nearly didn't start the 7th but found something and ended that one feeling rather sick .

Equal measures of satisfaction for the 7 I did manage and dissapointment at the lack of an 8th....I will repeat this.

1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30

Avg HR 145, Max 176

I have to improve my pacing to start on a more achievable level for the entire series of intervals. Also need to improve my fitness as I was spent by the last one :oops:
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.7, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1212m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 22:03.6, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

mightymayesy
Paddler
Posts: 32
Joined: October 15th, 2019, 8:15 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by mightymayesy » October 22nd, 2019, 5:00 pm

Third ever 5,000m.

New PB.

Sam
35. 6'7". Starting weight: 125kg. Current weight: 121.7kg. | 3.3kg down via rowing since 15/10/2019.
2,000m PB: 9m35.6s | 5,000m PB: 21m30.9s

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 2052
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » October 22nd, 2019, 5:04 pm

mightymayesy wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 5:00 pm
Third ever 5,000m.

New PB.

Sam
Congrats!

6'7" :shock: .....giant :wink:
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.7, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1212m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 22:03.6, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

Dino
6k Poster
Posts: 828
Joined: December 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dino » October 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm

2 x 30r20 / 5r

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 7,208m 2:04.8 180 918 19
30:00.0 7,256m 2:04.0 183 931 20

Didn't go too bad today... first one in a long time quite enjoyed... despite the nagging bits of my failing body! Passed the time trying to work out how to re-arrange my garage, where I am going to stick a monitor on the wall, where the power needs to go, paint, rubber floor mats maybe, and so on :D (and how I am going to do this first before the other bits of the house that need doing without it ending in divorce :lol: )
52M HWT 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 - Team: 50Plus - Zwift Rowing
1m 326m, 500m 1:38,7, 1k 3:31.6, 2k 7:16.8, 5k 19:06.6, 6k 23:26.0, 30m 7730m, 10k 39:26.1, 60m 15025m, HM 1:25:04.7, FM 2:59:26.0, 50k 3:49:17.3

JayBroek34
Paddler
Posts: 27
Joined: August 29th, 2019, 6:39 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by JayBroek34 » October 23rd, 2019, 12:27 am

An easy 30R20 today at 2:04.3
Jay B - Jakarta, Indonesia
Male - 32yrs - 76kgs - 176cm
2010 PBs: 1k: 3:10 / 2k: 6:42 / 5k: sub-18mins

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » October 23rd, 2019, 1:35 am

winniewinser wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:35 pm
Interval row session after work....should have been 8x500m/2'R but only just managed 7 :roll: . Target was 1:44/45 (2km-4') but I dug myself a hole on the first interval with some ego pacing and paid the price later on. Nearly didn't start the 7th but found something and ended that one feeling rather sick .

Equal measures of satisfaction for the 7 I did manage and dissapointment at the lack of an 8th....I will repeat this.

1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30

Avg HR 145, Max 176

I have to improve my pacing to start on a more achievable level for the entire series of intervals. Also need to improve my fitness as I was spent by the last one :oops:
Good you struggled through the 7th Alex, good average! Next time you'll hopefully remember this session and start a bit more conservative to finish all 8 intervals :D
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » October 23rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Dino wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 5:24 pm
2 x 30r20 / 5r

Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
30:00.0 7,208m 2:04.8 180 918 19
30:00.0 7,256m 2:04.0 183 931 20

Didn't go too bad today... first one in a long time quite enjoyed... despite the nagging bits of my failing body! Passed the time trying to work out how to re-arrange my garage, where I am going to stick a monitor on the wall, where the power needs to go, paint, rubber floor mats maybe, and so on :D (and how I am going to do this first before the other bits of the house that need doing without it ending in divorce :lol: )
Nice work Dino, good to see you can already do longer sessions again. Best of luck for your comeback!
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

Dino
6k Poster
Posts: 828
Joined: December 23rd, 2018, 8:54 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dino » October 23rd, 2019, 3:07 am

MartinSH4321 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Nice work Dino, good to see you can already do longer sessions again. Best of luck for your comeback!
Thanks Martin! ..I've lost count of how many PBs you have clocked up in my absence! You have clocked up some very strong sessions and mileage over the summer :)
52M HWT 18/19, 19/20, 20/21 - Team: 50Plus - Zwift Rowing
1m 326m, 500m 1:38,7, 1k 3:31.6, 2k 7:16.8, 5k 19:06.6, 6k 23:26.0, 30m 7730m, 10k 39:26.1, 60m 15025m, HM 1:25:04.7, FM 2:59:26.0, 50k 3:49:17.3

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » October 23rd, 2019, 3:22 am

Dino wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 3:07 am
MartinSH4321 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 1:39 am

Nice work Dino, good to see you can already do longer sessions again. Best of luck for your comeback!
Thanks Martin! ..I've lost count of how many PBs you have clocked up in my absence! You have clocked up some very strong sessions and mileage over the summer :)
Thanks Dino! Yeah, it's a great season for me atm. I'm afraid no one is immune to injury and illness, unfortunatly it striked you, but you'll get new PBs too for sure, you just need some time! :)
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5483
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » October 23rd, 2019, 3:30 am

I started off with the hope of a 8 x 500m 2r as my lower back was a lot better after Pilates on Monday but after four reps it started to tighten up so I bailed out. All of them were r33 and averaged 1:37.4.

I then decided with one min rest to do a strapless 5k, which was intended to be 1:56/7 pace, but I got carried away and I was pulling 1:47 @ r21 for the last 100m

Image

For some reason I'm finding lower rates a lot easier than usual and higher rates a bit of a struggle compared to normal. I'm not sure what to make of it, and if it's good or not. I assume it is as lower rates have always been my Achilles heel.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

JimS
2k Poster
Posts: 200
Joined: February 12th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by JimS » October 23rd, 2019, 3:59 am

winniewinser wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:35 pm
Interval row session after work....should have been 8x500m/2'R but only just managed 7 :roll: . Target was 1:44/45 (2km-4') but I dug myself a hole on the first interval with some ego pacing and paid the price later on. Nearly didn't start the 7th but found something and ended that one feeling rather sick .

Equal measures of satisfaction for the 7 I did manage and dissapointment at the lack of an 8th....I will repeat this.

1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30

Avg HR 145, Max 176

I have to improve my pacing to start on a more achievable level for the entire series of intervals. Also need to improve my fitness as I was spent by the last one :oops:
What are you basing the target times on?

I find the Pete Plan approach good.
Age: 37. Weight: 117kg. Height: 6'4"
1k: 3:14 2k: 6:28 5k: 17:12 30min: 8532m

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 2052
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » October 23rd, 2019, 4:20 am

MartinSH4321 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 1:35 am
winniewinser wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:35 pm
Interval row session after work....should have been 8x500m/2'R but only just managed 7 :roll: . Target was 1:44/45 (2km-4') but I dug myself a hole on the first interval with some ego pacing and paid the price later on. Nearly didn't start the 7th but found something and ended that one feeling rather sick .

Equal measures of satisfaction for the 7 I did manage and dissapointment at the lack of an 8th....I will repeat this.

1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30

Avg HR 145, Max 176

I have to improve my pacing to start on a more achievable level for the entire series of intervals. Also need to improve my fitness as I was spent by the last one :oops:
Good you struggled through the 7th Alex, good average! Next time you'll hopefully remember this session and start a bit more conservative to finish all 8 intervals :D
Thanks Martin.....average was 2s quicker that the week before....crazy to think I could then add an 8th. You live and learn :wink:
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.7, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1212m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 22:03.6, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

User avatar
winniewinser
10k Poster
Posts: 2052
Joined: August 9th, 2019, 9:35 am
Location: England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by winniewinser » October 23rd, 2019, 4:28 am

JimS wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 3:59 am
winniewinser wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:35 pm
Interval row session after work....should have been 8x500m/2'R but only just managed 7 :roll: . Target was 1:44/45 (2km-4') but I dug myself a hole on the first interval with some ego pacing and paid the price later on. Nearly didn't start the 7th but found something and ended that one feeling rather sick .

Equal measures of satisfaction for the 7 I did manage and dissapointment at the lack of an 8th....I will repeat this.

1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30

Avg HR 145, Max 176

I have to improve my pacing to start on a more achievable level for the entire series of intervals. Also need to improve my fitness as I was spent by the last one :oops:
What are you basing the target times on?

I find the Pete Plan approach good.
I am pacing of previous attempts at the same session. The week before I did this and hit an average of 1:44.6 so was putting a conservative 1:45 target for this week with the 8th interval. I just dug myself a whole by completing the first piece too fast and then not having enough in the tank to complete all 8 :oops: :(

History of previous 500m intervals below

Week 1 attempt
6 x 500m / 2min rest
1:41.8@34 :o
1:43.8@32
1:45.2@33
1:46.2@33
1:47.8@32
1:46.9@30
Avg 1:45.3@32

Week 3 attempt
6 x 500m / 2min rest
1:45.1@30
1:46.0@31
1:47.0@31
1:46.0@32
1:48.0@32
1:44.0@32
avg 1:46.0@31

Week 6 attempt
6 x 500m / 2min rest] Target 1:45
1:46.0@29
1:45.8@30
1:46.8@30
HD after 3

Week 7 attempt
6 x 500m / 2min rest Target 1:48 descending (after previous weeks failure)
1:45.5@30
1:45.3@30
1:44.7@29
1:44.2@30
1:43.9@31
1:42.1@32
Avg 1:44.3@30

Week 10 attempt
7 x 500m / 2min rest Target 1:45.1
1:44.9@30
1:44.7@30
1:44.4@31
1:44.5@31
1:44.4@30
1:44.7@31
1:45.1@31
Avg 1:44.6@30

Week 11 attempt
8 x 500m / 2min rest Target 1:45.1 (only managed 7)
1:43.4@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.7@30
1:42.5@30
1:42.2@31
1:42.0@32
1:43.0@32
Avg 1:42.6@30
Alex, LWTM, 6'2" 49yo, 100m 17.7, 1min 340m, 500m 1:31.9, 1km 3:16.3, 4min 1212m, 2km 6:50.2, 5km 17:59.8, 6km 22:03.6, 30' 7958m, 10km 38:18.6, 60' 15,286m, HM 1:24:08.5, FM 3:08:12.8

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » October 23rd, 2019, 4:56 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 3:30 am
I started off with the hope of a 8 x 500m 2r as my lower back was a lot better after Pilates on Monday but after four reps it started to tighten up so I bailed out. All of them were r33 and averaged 1:37.4.

I then decided with one min rest to do a strapless 5k, which was intended to be 1:56/7 pace, but I got carried away and I was pulling 1:47 @ r21 for the last 100m

Image

For some reason I'm finding lower rates a lot easier than usual and higher rates a bit of a struggle compared to normal. I'm not sure what to make of it, and if it's good or not. I assume it is as lower rates have always been my Achilles heel.
Good pace for the 500m, bad you had to bail out, lower back problems are so annoying. Wasn't the 5k pretty demanding for your lower back too at this low rating?
You did a lot of rate restricted training so I would estimate it's just an adaption to that, hard to say if good or not, but propably good for longer stuff when you can row the same pace at lower rating?!
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

MartinSH4321
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2301
Joined: October 10th, 2018, 6:43 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by MartinSH4321 » October 23rd, 2019, 5:06 am

winniewinser wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 4:20 am
MartinSH4321 wrote:
October 23rd, 2019, 1:35 am
...
Good you struggled through the 7th Alex, good average! Next time you'll hopefully remember this session and start a bit more conservative to finish all 8 intervals :D
Thanks Martin.....average was 2s quicker that the week before....crazy to think I could then add an 8th. You live and learn :wink:
Doing 7 reps 2sec faster on average is definitely an improvement (which is good), sticking to the plan and finishing all reps is a learning process :wink: :lol:
1983, Austria, 186cm / 100Kg
RHR: 43, MHR: 176
LP: 1:06 100m: 14.0 1': 387m 500m: 1:21.4
1k: 3:05 2k: 6:43 5k: 17:53 30': 8237m 30R20: 8088m 10k: 36:39
60': 16087m, HM: 1:19:42

Post Reply