What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3559
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » February 13th, 2019, 5:30 am

Wed PM
15 2'/1'R => 8224m @1:49.4 (+920mR)
df130 sr29 267w mhr164
first @1:50.4 then rest between 1:48.8 and 1:49.8
2k @2:11
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3559
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » February 13th, 2019, 5:39 am

lindsayh wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:06 am
The lag in a race can be about 1 full second depending on your reaction time. Really big deal in the 500 of course and your 1k is defo better than the gym one. The reason it takes so long for the average rate to drop is that the PM is taking an average of each stroke including the first few that are way over your target of course. It just takes a while to "wash" them out of the system.
Keith - it occurred to me tonite doing intervals that if you want an idea of the effect of the race start then set up 1'/1'R intervals and miss the start of the second one by a stroke and you will see how long it takes to get the average down to your target pace. A similar thing happens with a race start where the clock starts the count rather than your first stroke.
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by KeithT » February 13th, 2019, 2:26 pm

lindsayh wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 5:39 am
lindsayh wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 5:06 am
The lag in a race can be about 1 full second depending on your reaction time. Really big deal in the 500 of course and your 1k is defo better than the gym one. The reason it takes so long for the average rate to drop is that the PM is taking an average of each stroke including the first few that are way over your target of course. It just takes a while to "wash" them out of the system.
Keith - it occurred to me tonite doing intervals that if you want an idea of the effect of the race start then set up 1'/1'R intervals and miss the start of the second one by a stroke and you will see how long it takes to get the average down to your target pace. A similar thing happens with a race start where the clock starts the count rather than your first stroke.
Thanks - I will give it a try.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.4, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:20:17, FM - 2:47:46

nick rockliff
6k Poster
Posts: 903
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:54 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by nick rockliff » February 13th, 2019, 4:10 pm

30r22 on Rowpro this evening

30 min - 7868 - 1.54.4 - 22

06 - 1566 - 1.54.9 - 22 - 140 end HR
12 - 1571 - 1.54.6 - 22 - 148
18 - 1572 - 1.54.5 - 22 - 152
24 - 1575 - 1.54.3 - 22 - 157
30 - 1583 - 1.53.7 - 22 - 161

Rowing indoors at the moment and quite warm, I would think 90% of my rowing over the past 16 years has been outdoors. Much prefer outdoors especially in the winter.
63 6' 4" 103kg
PBs 2k 6:16.4 5k 16:37.5 10k 34:35.5 30m 8727 60m 17059 HM 74:25.9 FM 2:43:48.8
50s PBs 2k 6.24.3 5k 16.55.4 6k 20.34.2 10k 35.19.0 30m 8633 60m 16685 HM 76.48.7
60s PBs 5k 17.51.2 10k 36.42.6 30m 8263 60m 16030 HM 79.49.2

G-dub
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3187
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by G-dub » February 13th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Morning: erg/bike 20’. Rate capped 1K: cap r30. 1:42.7 (3:25.4). Not bad. Too soft in the middle.

Evening: 5 x 5 back squats @ 255# and 3 x 3 trap bar loaded jumps with 170#
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 192 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
Image

mdpfirrman
10k Poster
Posts: 1692
Joined: January 23rd, 2015, 4:03 pm
Location: Catalina, AZ

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by mdpfirrman » February 13th, 2019, 5:08 pm

I've been training a ton, but all on the Air Dyne Pro. Last month's low rate CTC workout blew out (or I should say likely my form on that CTC row) my back. I've been having pain in the lower middle of my back. It's mostly gone but I tried to row last week and it spiked again so all the work I've been doing is on the Assault Bike. Been keeping it simple with four long hour days (slow and stead) and one sprint day and the other an hour hard.

Moving in 3/4 weeks across and have to protect my back for that, even though it's mostly going to be boxes, one mattress and some décor items mostly (and my rower and gym equipment).

Missing the forum and rower and the Air Bike, while grateful I have it, is incredibly boring! Hope to be back doing the rower next month sometime after the move. Going to set up a stand alone garage as a dedicated gym.
Image

Mike Pfirrman
53 Yrs old, 5' 10" / 185 lbs (177cm/84kg)

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4573
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » February 14th, 2019, 1:41 am

mdpfirrman wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 5:08 pm
I've been training a ton, but all on the Air Dyne Pro. Last month's low rate CTC workout blew out (or I should say likely my form on that CTC row) my back. I've been having pain in the lower middle of my back. It's mostly gone but I tried to row last week and it spiked again so all the work I've been doing is on the Assault Bike. Been keeping it simple with four long hour days (slow and stead) and one sprint day and the other an hour hard.

Moving in 3/4 weeks across and have to protect my back for that, even though it's mostly going to be boxes, one mattress and some décor items mostly (and my rower and gym equipment).

Missing the forum and rower and the Air Bike, while grateful I have it, is incredibly boring! Hope to be back doing the rower next month sometime after the move. Going to set up a stand alone garage as a dedicated gym.
Sorry to hear that Mike. Low rate power strokes are always a gamble with my back too
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3559
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » February 14th, 2019, 5:05 am

mdpfirrman wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 5:08 pm
Missing the forum and rower and the Air Bike, while grateful I have it, is incredibly boring! Hope to be back doing the rower next month sometime after the move. Going to set up a stand alone garage as a dedicated gym.
best of luck with the move Mike - look after your back of course - it's a bit of a bummer though
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3559
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » February 14th, 2019, 5:11 am

Thursday PM
2k @2:10
20x 45"/75"R => 4562m @1:38.6 (+2302mR)
df130 sr32 365w mhr151
all between @1:37.8 and 1:39.2
2k @2:08 (132)
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4573
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » February 14th, 2019, 8:12 am

1402m memorial row for Carole McNally this morning. It was supposed to be a rest day off the erg so I did it after weights this morning.

It was a 1:51.5 pace @r22 as I didn't know what pace to go at.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by KeithT » February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am

5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.4, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:20:17, FM - 2:47:46

User avatar
lancecampeau
5k Poster
Posts: 599
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lancecampeau » February 14th, 2019, 9:52 am

KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
Fantastic set Keith! That's really solid work... I'm afraid to try it under 1:50 lol
Male, 46, 6ft / 240 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Bloodbuzz Corio
2k Poster
Posts: 400
Joined: March 8th, 2016, 4:11 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Bloodbuzz Corio » February 14th, 2019, 10:02 am

G-dub wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 7:16 pm
One thing new is that I’m not as able to pull lighter strokes (ok big dogs, I know mine are already light) as well as I used to. Seems like I’m wanting more power per stroke. But I would need to lighten them up to go any distance.
Glenn what about just lowering SPM for the longer pieces? Certainly lots of people who've done a lot more erging a lot faster than me advocate more low rate work at a good power per stroke - establishing a good groove for when you do want to go faster.
Rohan - 43y, 178cm, ~75kg, Logbook

Image

KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by KeithT » February 14th, 2019, 10:06 am

lancecampeau wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:52 am
KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
Fantastic set Keith! That's really solid work... I'm afraid to try it under 1:50 lol
Thanks, it was definitely a hard session - ranked up there with the 4x1000 but getting thru 750 is mentally easier for me. The last time I did this one I averaged 1:37.2 so it was a nice little improvement.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.4, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:20:17, FM - 2:47:46

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9358
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by hjs » February 14th, 2019, 10:27 am

KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
Nice, good meters. Would like to see a faster last. Looks like a tough set.

Post Reply