What Training Have You Done Today?

General discussion on Training. How to get better on your erg, how to use your erg to get better at another sport, or anything else about improving your abilities.
KeithT
10k Poster
Posts: 1366
Joined: February 5th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by KeithT » February 14th, 2019, 11:04 am

hjs wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:27 am
KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
Nice, good meters. Would like to see a faster last. Looks like a tough set.
Yeah, I was a little quicker than planned in the middle sets so I had to sprint the last 250 of the final set to get to the 1:36.3 but was happy I didn't have a slower interval. Doing a moderate 5K tonight, off Friday and then Saturday will do the 90% 2k.
52 yo, 6'3" 200#
PBs (all since turning 50):
1 min - 373m, 500m - 1:21.9, 1K - 2:59.4, 4 min - 1265m, 2K - 6:29.4, 5K - 17:23, 30 min - 8366m, 10K - 35:54, 60 min - 16110, HM - 1:20:17, FM - 2:47:46

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9358
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by hjs » February 14th, 2019, 11:11 am

KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 11:04 am
hjs wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:27 am
KeithT wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:42 am
5x750 with 3r last night - went pretty good though I am fighting cold/cough:

Overall avg pace - 136.6 - each interval avg pace - 137.4, 1:36.6, 1:36.5, 1:36.3, 1:36.3
Nice, good meters. Would like to see a faster last. Looks like a tough set.
Yeah, I was a little quicker than planned in the middle sets so I had to sprint the last 250 of the final set to get to the 1:36.3 but was happy I didn't have a slower interval. Doing a moderate 5K tonight, off Friday and then Saturday will do the 90% 2k.
That was my idea about it went :-) still neg split. I always look at it from my own standpoint. Can almost always put in a faster last. But thats personal ofcourse.

Sounds good, do a good wu etc. have a plan... No errors :wink:

Bloodbuzz Corio
2k Poster
Posts: 400
Joined: March 8th, 2016, 4:11 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Bloodbuzz Corio » February 14th, 2019, 11:18 am

Bloodbuzz Corio wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 10:02 am
G-dub wrote:
February 12th, 2019, 7:16 pm
One thing new is that I’m not as able to pull lighter strokes (ok big dogs, I know mine are already light) as well as I used to. Seems like I’m wanting more power per stroke. But I would need to lighten them up to go any distance.
Glenn what about just lowering SPM for the longer pieces? Certainly lots of people who've done a lot more erging a lot faster than me advocate more low rate work at a good power per stroke - establishing a good groove for when you do want to go faster.
Which along somewhat similar lines today I did a 30r20.

Was at 2:04.2 - felt pretty solid - would have said RPE of no more than 8, but just noticed my HR spent the majority of this over 180 and a few minutes over 190 - with my max being around 195 this was maybe a bit harder than I realised!
Rohan - 43y, 178cm, ~75kg, Logbook

Image

G-dub
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3187
Joined: September 27th, 2014, 12:52 pm
Location: Asheville, NC

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by G-dub » February 14th, 2019, 11:42 am

Blood, I do most of my rows at 19/20. What I was saying was that on speed pieces I seem to want to use a lower stroke rate than I used to. Good news is I’m getting more power than before so my pace at the same rate is faster. But it changes the feel and I’m not sure I can hang on long enough going like that.
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 192 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962
Image

User avatar
lancecampeau
5k Poster
Posts: 599
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lancecampeau » February 14th, 2019, 8:59 pm

4th night in a row of training with a sore lumbar but I refused to except failure and really had to gut this one out. Sub 90 min was the target

21097m / 1:28:13.5 / 2:05.4 / DF 135 / SR 24 / 177w / SPI 7.37

Hit the wall 52 min in and had to slacken up for a while... then laid down a 1:41 in the final 500m... wasn't expecting my body to let me do that.
Image

Back feels pretty good. Might do some weights this weekend.
Male, 46, 6ft / 240 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4573
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » February 15th, 2019, 5:08 am

Image

I picked a pace, stroke rate and distance that would challenge me enough in my current state; I seem to be successfully fighting off a cold.

This was enjoyable and it was probably mentally just what I needed as I have been in a semi slump since my 2k competition.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3559
Joined: June 23rd, 2013, 3:32 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lindsayh » February 15th, 2019, 6:42 am

Friday PM
5k @2:03.5 (140)
Longish chat with erg buddy Peter
weights
Lindsay
69yo 93kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

User avatar
lancecampeau
5k Poster
Posts: 599
Joined: July 23rd, 2017, 9:48 pm

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by lancecampeau » February 15th, 2019, 8:01 am

Dangerscouse wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:08 am
I have been in a semi slump since my 2k competition.
Upon reading this, I just now realized that this is also happening to me. :|
Male, 46, 6ft / 240 lbs, 183cm / 108 kg / Started erging in Jan 2017
Image

Rod
10k Poster
Posts: 1043
Joined: December 21st, 2016, 9:55 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Rod » February 15th, 2019, 12:57 pm

10 x 500.2'r.

Average pace............1:41.9
SPM.......................38
DF.........................120

A bit of faster than 2k pace stuff for the World Championships race (60-64 Lwt) on the 24th.

I felt fine until the last 2 reps then doing the early reps too fast bit me badly...ouch...good 'reality check' and tells me not to go off any faster than I did at the British champs back in early December (1:44.3)..hopefully I'll finish faster though (1:44.2)!
62 year old, 72 kilo (159lbs), 5'8''/174cm (always the shortest on the podium!) male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best recent rows 60 mins.....16011 metres. 30 mins.....8215 metres.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4573
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » February 15th, 2019, 1:32 pm

lancecampeau wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 8:01 am
Dangerscouse wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:08 am
I have been in a semi slump since my 2k competition.
Upon reading this, I just now realized that this is also happening to me. :|
I think, mentally, it's tough once you have achieved what you set out to do, to maintain focus and motivation. I know this happens to a lot of people.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

User avatar
Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2643
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Anth_F » February 15th, 2019, 5:16 pm

I done an 8k row later this afternoon after a lengthy day on my feet... lots of walking etc.

8k @ 2:07.1 - r20 with a couple r21 splits in the mix. 33:54.5

I done a fairly intense weights session on the 13th in the early evening, so gave myself almost 2 days recovery period before my row today!!! But, about halfway through my 8k today it started to feel like quite some work, this always seems to happen when i have recently done weights. Surely the walking i done today is not to blame for this? This is all a bit confusing and frustrating why this happens. If anyone can shed some light on what may be the cause then feel free to chime in.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1261966

Minimoof123
1k Poster
Posts: 159
Joined: March 11th, 2018, 10:01 am

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Minimoof123 » February 16th, 2019, 6:53 am

lancecampeau wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 8:59 pm
4th night in a row of training with a sore lumbar but I refused to except failure and really had to gut this one out. Sub 90 min was the target

21097m / 1:28:13.5 / 2:05.4 / DF 135 / SR 24 / 177w / SPI 7.37

Hit the wall 52 min in and had to slacken up for a while... then laid down a 1:41 in the final 500m... wasn't expecting my body to let me do that.
Image

Back feels pretty good. Might do some weights this weekend.
Sub 90 is always nice to see for the HM Just looking at your times & data thought I would give that a go, which is a challenge for me to slow the rate down, interesting figures compared to last week, I choose to rerow last weeks time, so my boat was soon off the screen, had to correct the rate a few times, I levelled with the pace boat with about 2k to go and because I was trying to replicate your data tried for the faster last 500, Ii saw a couple of 1:45 but wouldn't say I maintained that, your 1:41 v impressive

today
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
1:27:46.1 21,097m 2:04.8 180 919 24
17:41.6 4,300m 2:03.4 186 940 24
17:54.3 8,600m 2:04.9 180 917 24
17:58.9 12,900m 2:05.4 177 910 25
18:04.3 17,200m 2:06.0 175 901 25
16:07.0 21,097m 2:04.0 183 930 25

last week
Time Meters Pace Watts Cal/Hr S/M
1:28:31.3 21,097m 2:05.8 175 903 27
16:46.2 4,300m 1:57.0 219 1052 27
17:13.3 8,600m 2:00.1 202 994 29
18:02.8 12,900m 2:05.9 175 903 27
19:01.9 17,200m 2:12.7 150 814 27
17:27.1 21,097m 2:14.3 144 796 27
Image
48 yr old Male, 6'1, 205lb, rowing for general fitness, proud owner since 2014

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster
Posts: 4573
Joined: April 27th, 2014, 11:11 am
Location: Liverpool, England

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Dangerscouse » February 16th, 2019, 9:46 am

Anth_F wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:16 pm
I done an 8k row later this afternoon after a lengthy day on my feet... lots of walking etc.

8k @ 2:07.1 - r20 with a couple r21 splits in the mix. 33:54.5

I done a fairly intense weights session on the 13th in the early evening, so gave myself almost 2 days recovery period before my row today!!! But, about halfway through my 8k today it started to feel like quite some work, this always seems to happen when i have recently done weights. Surely the walking i done today is not to blame for this? This is all a bit confusing and frustrating why this happens. If anyone can shed some light on what may be the cause then feel free to chime in.
You are still coming back from a long time away from the erg so you will be short of erg fitness, so it's possibly to be expected.

I do find quite often that big walks in fresh air can be quite tiring, albeit not a seemingly physical effort.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

Cyclingman1
10k Poster
Posts: 1663
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 6:23 pm
Location: Gainesville, Ga

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Cyclingman1 » February 16th, 2019, 12:36 pm

One last try at 2K for this comeback year.

Did the Ga Tech Erg Sprints this Sat: 7:20.2 @ 1:50.0. Not sure of my finish among 15 50+ rowers - I know I was the oldest. It didn't help that I had a double hernia operation 2.5 weeks ago. In any event, it's all good. Hopefully, a year of conditioning, etc and no more injuries will get me back where I want to be.
JimG, Gainesville, Ga, 74, 76", 195lb. PBs:
66-69: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:30.8 3:14.1 6:40.7 17:34.0 21:18.1 36:21.7 30;60;HM: 8337 16237 1:20:25
70-74: .5,1,2,5,6,10K: 1:33.3 3:19.5 6:58.1 17:55.3 21:32.6 36:41.9 30;60;HM: 8214 15353 1:23:02.5

User avatar
Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 2643
Joined: June 29th, 2016, 11:59 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What Training Have You Done Today?

Post by Anth_F » February 16th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Dangerscouse wrote:
February 16th, 2019, 9:46 am
Anth_F wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 5:16 pm
I done an 8k row later this afternoon after a lengthy day on my feet... lots of walking etc.

8k @ 2:07.1 - r20 with a couple r21 splits in the mix. 33:54.5

I done a fairly intense weights session on the 13th in the early evening, so gave myself almost 2 days recovery period before my row today!!! But, about halfway through my 8k today it started to feel like quite some work, this always seems to happen when i have recently done weights. Surely the walking i done today is not to blame for this? This is all a bit confusing and frustrating why this happens. If anyone can shed some light on what may be the cause then feel free to chime in.
You are still coming back from a long time away from the erg so you will be short of erg fitness, so it's possibly to be expected.

I do find quite often that big walks in fresh air can be quite tiring, albeit not a seemingly physical effort.
Yunno Stu, I actually had a think it could be from the long'ish time away, i am likely expecting too much of myself!! And yeah maybe the long time on my feet walking also played a part.

Okay, so today was a lighter erg session.

30:00 - r19 - 2:11.9 - 6823m

A lil bit sweaty with the T shirt ON :D
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1261966

Post Reply