Skierg as training tool for paddlesport

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
Ludlowjim
Paddler

Skierg as training tool for paddlesport

Post by Ludlowjim » May 23rd, 2020, 5:11 am

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased a skierg with the intention of getting just a bit more trim (until lockdown ends and beyond). I also hope to increase my fitness for watersports as I am a Sea kayaker/ Canoeist when the stars of work/family and free time align with the weather gods here in Wales.
I would be grateful for anyone who fits a similar profile to give me the benefit of their experience- have you found your skierg work translating into improved stamina on the water and if so, what training programme have you used, and any other tips please!

I understand also that there are kayak adapters on the market for the skierg- has anyone used these regularly enough to have an opinion as to their value.

Thanks for any help you can offer,

Jim

mict450
500m Poster

Re: Hello! Skierg as training tool for paddlesport

Post by mict450 » May 27th, 2020, 8:37 am

I'm solely a recreational kayaker/canoeist, meaning when the great grandkids come for a visit. I don't use a skierg, but a similar product made in Italy, which I enjoy using. I think if you have a modicum of basic DIY skills, you could fabricate a kayak trainer for your skierg. You would need a platform to mount a pair of pulleys to run the cables through to be attached to you paddle. https://www.paddlesporttraining.com/ has a kayak trainer, but seems rather expensive, over $1000 with tax & shipping. If you're a serious paddler, it maybe worth it to you.
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

Ludlowjim
Paddler

Post by Ludlowjim » May 28th, 2020, 2:16 pm

Thanks for the reply!

I am hoping that there might be a crossover benefit eventually, although the best thing about the skierg so far is getting off the sofa to use it is easy! :)

I think a thousand dollars is beyond my price range at least for now unfortunately. The diy route might be the way to go. T

Thanks again,

Jim

mict450
500m Poster

Post by mict450 » May 28th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Jim, maybe check YouTube under "DIY kayak trainer". Many ideas, a lot of which use the flywheel & clutch of a Nordic track skier. I'm sure you could adapt that to the skierg. Going that route will allow use of the PM5 to enhance your training.
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA