Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
Post Reply
goldem
Paddler
Posts: 4
Joined: January 8th, 2018, 2:56 pm

Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by goldem » January 8th, 2018, 3:34 pm

I've been using the rower for about 5/6 years, and I'd like to try working in some SkiErg as well. The problem is my basement has a height of 78.5". I know the specs on the SkiErg are around 83", but I'm wondering if there's any way to move/adjust that height to work in my space. I'm just under 6' (yes, it's a little close but workable).

I could possibly open a couple of holes into the joist space above to gain 4 inches or so, but would rather not if it's just a matter of adjusting height of the unit somehow, or if the natural motion/setup actually lowers the height used.

User avatar
Ombrax
6k Poster
Posts: 763
Joined: April 20th, 2013, 2:05 am
Location: St Louis, MO, USA

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by Ombrax » January 10th, 2018, 9:29 pm

Looks to me like the simplest solution would be to clear some space between the joists.
Wall Mounted:

Width at bottom: 19 in (48.3 cm)
Width at top: 20.5 in (52 cm)
Depth: 16 in (40.6 cm)
Height: 83.5 in (212 cm)

Mounted on Floor Stand: 24 in x 52 in x 85 in
(61 cm x 132 cm x 215.9 cm)

Image

User avatar
Cant Climb
Paddler
Posts: 24
Joined: June 15th, 2007, 12:48 pm

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by Cant Climb » January 11th, 2018, 11:41 am

I feel your pain.
I live in an old house and my basement was just high enough by a 1/4 inch to fit the skierg.
But then had to find a spot without wires and pipes and then had to have enough room between joists when reaching up.
Took me 11 hours in total to install.
Used zip ties attached to a steel band and that was screwed into a joist to Secure it.

rowgary
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: September 7th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by rowgary » June 17th, 2020, 2:12 pm

Similar situation here (attempting to find a space in basement to mount SkiErg directly to wall, rather than using the optional base). What, may I ask, is the exact height of the screw holes in the universal bracket that affixes to the top of the SkiErg (ie, what is the span from floor to these screw holes; exactly how high up on the wall will they be located)?

Many Thanks!

User avatar
johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster
Posts: 3763
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 1:13 pm
Location: California Central Coast
Contact:

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by johnlvs2run » June 20th, 2020, 8:25 pm

My Skierg is 84 inches from the top to the floor, 85.5 inches to the top of the bracket, and 84.75 inches to the holes.
The bracket could be placed underneath, so the screw holes would be underneath, and the total height would be 84 inches.
73 5'8 155
age 70+ world record pace per weight percentages
skierg: 100m 87.4 / 500m 86.2 / 1k 85.9 / 2k 89.4 / 5k 89.0 / 30' 89.6 / 10k 92.2 / 60' 92.0 / 21k 93.6
bikeerg: 1k 83.5 / 4k 85.2 / 30' 89.1 / 60' 89.2 / 40k 85.6 . . . my training log
#NoMask #NoTest #NoLockdown #NoRestrictions

mict450
1k Poster
Posts: 128
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by mict450 » June 21st, 2020, 3:01 am

goldem wrote:
January 8th, 2018, 3:34 pm
I've been using the rower for about 5/6 years, and I'd like to try working in some SkiErg as well. The problem is my basement has a height of 78.5". I know the specs on the SkiErg are around 83", but I'm wondering if there's any way to move/adjust that height to work in my space. I'm just under 6' (yes, it's a little close but workable).

I could possibly open a couple of holes into the joist space above to gain 4 inches or so, but would rather not if it's just a matter of adjusting height of the unit somehow, or if the natural motion/setup actually lowers the height used.
rowgary wrote:
June 17th, 2020, 2:12 pm
Similar situation here (attempting to find a space in basement to mount SkiErg directly to wall, rather than using the optional base). What, may I ask, is the exact height of the screw holes in the universal bracket that affixes to the top of the SkiErg (ie, what is the span from floor to these screw holes; exactly how high up on the wall will they be located)?

Many Thanks!


Have you two been able to solve your difficulties & are now happily skierging?
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

rowgary
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: September 7th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by rowgary » June 23rd, 2020, 9:09 pm

Not yet; thanks for checking! Regarding a wall mounting of the Skierg, I am waiting, in the hopes of learning the precise distance from bottom (floor) to where the screw holes in the universal bracket affix the top of the SkiErg to the wall (ie, how high up on the wall do the screw holes land?). I see a measurement above mentioning

"Wall Mounted:
[...]
Height: 83.5 in (212 cm)"

but I am not sure if this 83.5" refers to the height of each screw hole (measured to center of each screw hole), or to the top of the bracket (my intended space is unfortunately so tight that this matters).

If all else fails, I will probably order skierg alone, and if it doesn't fit, will then order a base and relocate it to a different room, but I'd much prefer the first location I've chosen, which would require a wall-mount, if indeed it can fit in that space.

Anyway, if you happen to know, I am very appreciative of the answer, thanks!!

mict450
1k Poster
Posts: 128
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by mict450 » June 23rd, 2020, 10:04 pm

Afraid I can't help with the bracket/screw hole heights. I faced a similar dilemma years ago, with the first model skierg...had a perfect place picked out in the sunroom, but "the Boss" nixed the idea. I'm fact she didn't want "that thing" in "her house" & banished it to the garage. Trouble was wall space was/is at a premium. So I went with the Ercolina....a second choice for me. Since you have a potential space other than the basement, I would recommend sticking with the skierg.
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

Ludlowjim
Paddler
Posts: 3
Joined: May 22nd, 2020, 8:52 am

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by Ludlowjim » June 24th, 2020, 5:22 am

Apologies for joining an old conversation, but I had a random thought if you have joists you could affix into above, could you fit the skierg on a cant i.e. Leaning slightly backwards/forwards? This might require a bit of basic woodwork and coachscrews etc but didn't the original idea for a skierg come from standing a rower up? As the action involves pulling around a pulley I would wonder if it would make much of a difference.

Good luck,

Jim

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 9147
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands

Re: Fitting SkiErg in A Short Space

Post by hjs » June 25th, 2020, 3:44 am

Ludlowjim wrote:
June 24th, 2020, 5:22 am
Apologies for joining an old conversation, but I had a random thought if you have joists you could affix into above, could you fit the skierg on a cant i.e. Leaning slightly backwards/forwards? This might require a bit of basic woodwork and coachscrews etc but didn't the original idea for a skierg come from standing a rower up? As the action involves pulling around a pulley I would wonder if it would make much of a difference.

Good luck,

Jim
Correct. We don,t pull in a straight line, a tilt does not alter the way the machine works. But in the other hand I would say, for taller people the basic height of the pully is to low. Me being 6.1, and reaching close to the top. Think a 6.6 guy should shorten his stroke at the top.

Post Reply