How do you mix workouts with a rower and skierg

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
Post Reply
calalli
500m Poster
Posts: 86
Joined: March 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Location: Akron OH

How do you mix workouts with a rower and skierg

Post by calalli » November 7th, 2017, 5:06 pm

I have had my model E for about 8 months. Today the wife and I ordered both a bikeerg (for her) and a skierg for both of us. I am excited, but don't know how to mix it into my routine which is currently 3 days lifting and 3 days rowing each week,with a dynamic stretching day on Sunday. To those who have both, do you use the machines on the same day usually or different days of the week. They will be in different rooms in the house because my wife hates the basemen, so I can't do intervals going from one to the other. I am open to any suggestions.
cal - age 55 ht 5'10" wt 205 lbs

User avatar
hjs
Marathon Poster
Posts: 7657
Joined: March 16th, 2006, 3:18 pm
Location: Amstelveen the netherlands
Contact:

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by hjs » November 8th, 2017, 4:35 am

I do 50/50, don,t mix it up. For general fitness its fine, but my experience is that the ski or rower do not supplement each other, muscles used are very different. Rower is very upper body dominant, rower leg/back. Doing it for half a year.
3 sessions per week seems to be not enough (for me) to improve.
At first ski improved, but after a few months stagnated. Rower is difficult this year for me due to back trouble.
Ski is back friendly.

Ski sessions are easier to recover from, even hard sessions do not burden the body like the rower. Although both machines at 100% are just as tough.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

User avatar
c2jonw
5k Poster
Posts: 539
Joined: April 3rd, 2006, 1:08 pm

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by c2jonw » November 8th, 2017, 11:07 am

I tend to not mix my workouts up much so I don't have much to add other than thanks for choosing our products- but I wanted to tell you that we have started an in-house 1-2-3 triathlon challenge for "fun". 1K on the SkiErg, 2K on the rower and 3K on the Bike.....running time including transitions.....Planning to do it today- how about you? C2JonW
67 year old living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee since 1980! and what a long, strange trip it's been......and retiring from C2 in October 2018!

calalli
500m Poster
Posts: 86
Joined: March 17th, 2017, 1:12 pm
Location: Akron OH

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by calalli » November 8th, 2017, 3:33 pm

c2jonw wrote:I tend to not mix my workouts up much so I don't have much to add other than thanks for choosing our products- but I wanted to tell you that we have started an in-house 1-2-3 triathlon challenge for "fun". 1K on the SkiErg, 2K on the rower and 3K on the Bike.....running time including transitions.....Planning to do it today- how about you? C2JonW

Haha, Can't do it today, they aren't here yet. I wish you shipped that quickly
cal - age 55 ht 5'10" wt 205 lbs

rakserv
500m Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: February 24th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by rakserv » November 8th, 2017, 8:55 pm

i have had both a rower and skierg for the past two years or so ... i also stick to strength training and cardio on separate days ... after a warmup and stretch on cardio days i split work equally between rower and skierg ... if i do intervals or pyramids, i move back and forth between each machine for each step/interval

hurts great ... feels brutal ... wouldn't trade it for any other workout

sam81
Paddler
Posts: 11
Joined: July 24th, 2017, 3:22 pm

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by sam81 » August 13th, 2018, 10:32 am

rakserv wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 8:55 pm
i have had both a rower and skierg for the past two years or so ... i also stick to strength training and cardio on separate days ... after a warmup and stretch on cardio days i split work equally between rower and skierg ... if i do intervals or pyramids, i move back and forth between each machine for each step/interval

hurts great ... feels brutal ... wouldn't trade it for any other workout
Just ordered a ski erg and already have a rower, cant wait to try something like this. So 1 min on rower, 1 min off, 2 min of ski, 2 min off... that sort of thing?

rakserv
500m Poster
Posts: 67
Joined: February 24th, 2014, 5:01 pm

Re: How do you mix workouts with a rower and slierg

Post by rakserv » August 15th, 2018, 9:09 am

sam81 wrote:
August 13th, 2018, 10:32 am
rakserv wrote:
November 8th, 2017, 8:55 pm
i have had both a rower and skierg for the past two years or so ... i also stick to strength training and cardio on separate days ... after a warmup and stretch on cardio days i split work equally between rower and skierg ... if i do intervals or pyramids, i move back and forth between each machine for each step/interval

hurts great ... feels brutal ... wouldn't trade it for any other workout
Just ordered a ski erg and already have a rower, cant wait to try something like this. So 1 min on rower, 1 min off, 2 min of ski, 2 min off... that sort of thing?
i try to mix it up, yes that is generally the case;
i recently added a bike-erg to form a trilogy of pain :D ... so i start (warmup 5-10k) and finish (2x distance of rower/skierg) with the bike

with skierg/rower intervals based on time or distance
500m rower - 1min rest - 500m skierg - 1min rest
1000m rower - 2min rest - 1000m skierg - 2min rest
2000m rower - 3min rest - 2000m skierg - done!

or just straight up distance
distance - rest - distance for longer pieces
3000m rower - 3min rest - 3000m skierg

Post Reply