SkiErg newby.

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
meintjiesj
Paddler

SkiErg newby.

Post by meintjiesj » July 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm

Bought SkiErg about a month ago because I knew I will be unable to run or cycle after I had my knee arthroscopy i.e. last week. I used it about 3 times a week leading up to the operation to get the hang of it. Watched a lot of videos on what form you should use i.e. bent arms, pull from just above the eyes, concentrate on using core/crunch. What I did notice is that my triceps were taking a bit of a beating and were sore most of the days after a session. I don't think my triceps are that weak, I can do 5x12 dips. Is there something wrong with my form or just need to stick out? Sessions are normally easy 10 min warm up and then 10X2 min or 10x30 sec HIT with 10 min cool down. Did my first 30min today and that was a good workout. Will maybe look at rollerski once the knee is strong enough.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Re: SkiErg newby.

Post by hjs » July 21st, 2018, 3:59 am

Triceps do a lot of work, strenght is not the problem, strenghtendurance is. Simply takes time to train the muscle
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 21st, 2018, 12:19 pm

meintjiesj wrote:Sessions are normally easy 10 min warm up and then 10X2 min or 10x30 sec HIT with 10 min cool down. Did my first 30min today and that was a good workout. Will maybe look at rollerski once the knee is strong enough.
I'm interested in your progress, as I've had some knee issues recently and my Skierg will be here soon.
What spm rating are you using? Here's are videos of world class skiers that show their Skierg form: Dahl, Olsson, Olsson.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
Let's develop a watts per weight ranking system.
my training log

meintjiesj
Paddler

Post by meintjiesj » July 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am

johnlvs2run wrote:
meintjiesj wrote:Sessions are normally easy 10 min warm up and then 10X2 min or 10x30 sec HIT with 10 min cool down. Did my first 30min today and that was a good workout. Will maybe look at rollerski once the knee is strong enough.
I'm interested in your progress, as I've had some knee issues recently and my Skierg will be here soon.
What spm rating are you using? Here's are videos of world class skiers that show their Skierg form: Dahl, Olsson, Olsson.
The SkiErg has saved me from going bonkers, injured my knee last year November, kept on running till end of December, thought it will get better as you do when you are a runner. So been cycling since then to keep aerobic fitness at a base level.
Even before the operation was using the SkiErg for a few weeks and had no pain from the knee. About 4 days after the op I did my first session on SKiErg again, very easy 7 min and had a bit of pain but that was because of the swelling. 12 days later and I am using it twice a day, warmup for my weight session and then in the evenings as a cardio session.

Warmup I try and keep the spm around 40, HIIT session goes up to 65 and when I was doing my 30 min it was around 45.

Definitely one of the best cardio machines if you have knee issues.I can already see I have lost a bit of weight round stomach and my shoulders and triceps are a bit more define. I am contemplating looking at rollerski when I am able to run again.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 22nd, 2018, 9:52 am

meintjiesj wrote:injured my knee last year November, kept on running till end of December, thought it will get better as you do when you are a runner.
The same for me. I really miss running, have swam and cycled in the meantime but not as much.
Warmup I try and keep the spm around 40, HIIT session goes up to 65 and when I was doing my 30 min it was around 45.
That looks great. I'm aiming to get more lean as well, especially in the abs and core. I would love to rollerski but it's probably too dangerous here.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
my training log

kini62
2k Poster

Post by kini62 » July 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
Thanks for those video links. I've altered my somewhat crossfit stroke to try and be more like Dahl's stroke. Did a 2500 and 5 500s on Sunday trying to emulate that stroke. Definitely felt better, less tiring on the triceps, felt it more in the core and my stroke rate jumped by about 8-10 SPM.
56m, 5'6" 160lbs, rowing and skiing (pseudo) on the Big Island of Hawaii.

piv3z86
Paddler

Post by piv3z86 » July 24th, 2018, 1:51 am

Hi, and welcome. Newby here aswell.
Reading and wondering why you use SPM as paramete? I'm doin more the Dahl-style... just abit slower :lol:

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » July 24th, 2018, 2:58 am

piv3z86 wrote:Hi, and welcome. Newby here aswell.
Reading and wondering why you use SPM as paramete? I'm doin more the Dahl-style... just abit slower :lol:
Number one should be pace 500 ofcourse, rating is more personal, I find above 40 very uncomfortable and slowes me down. Only short work I can rate above 40 easily.
If you look at top skiers you will see very different spm s, on snow, there is no magic number.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 24th, 2018, 10:54 am

hjs wrote:Number one should be pace 500 of course
No, because body weight number one determines 500 pace on a Skierg, which has zero relationship to skiing on snow.
You don't carry your body weight on a skierg. Lighter people, faster per body weight, would be faster on snow.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
my training log

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » July 24th, 2018, 12:46 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
hjs wrote:Number one should be pace 500 of course
No, because body weight number one determines 500 pace on a Skierg, which has zero relationship to skiing on snow.
You don't carry your body weight on a skierg. Lighter people, faster per body weight, would be faster on snow.
Pfffffffff :roll: Ofcourse PERSONAL pace. That should be a given. RATE has zero relationship to skiing on snow. Nomatter how you move its about bringing the most power per kg. The skierg will have not that much relation to real skiing cause the legs are not involved. On snow the legs do a lot. You simply stand static so any drive foward is impossible.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 28th, 2018, 10:07 am

meintjiesj wrote:
July 22nd, 2018, 7:41 am
How's your progress? I did a 5k yesterday at 34spm, then did a 100m at 54spm.
The 5k felt good, but the 100 was kind of terrible. I want to keep adding the meters gradually, and be conservative.
kini62 wrote:
July 23rd, 2018, 7:20 pm
Thanks for those video links. I've altered my somewhat crossfit stroke to try and be more like Dahl's stroke. Did a 2500 and 5 500s on Sunday trying to emulate that stroke. Definitely felt better, less tiring on the triceps, felt it more in the core and my stroke rate jumped by about 8-10 SPM.
You're welcome. The videos have helped me a lot. Yesterday I did 5k, a 500, 2x1', and a 100, my first time doing anything short.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
my training log

meintjiesj
Paddler

Post by meintjiesj » July 28th, 2018, 12:21 pm

I've done a few 30min recently, keeping pace between 2:20 and 2:30 / 500m between 43 and 47 spm. Not checked how many meters I did, will download it and check. I have not watched the videos yet, will do that tonight. Not done anything since yesterday as my knee started giving me trouble, think it was caused by me climbing up and down a ladder a few time Thursday. I don't think it will impact if I SkiErg but just not taking any chances. Will ice it a few times and try again SkiErg tomorrow. Can definitely see some muscle coming thru on the old belly...

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 28th, 2018, 2:19 pm

My knee was bothering me too, right after using a ladder a few days ago, maybe due to the soft soled shoes.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
my training log

meintjiesj
Paddler

Post by meintjiesj » July 29th, 2018, 5:24 am

Had a look at the videos and Olsson has a very stroke compared to the other videos I have watched. He is definitely not as muscular in his upper body, not saying he isn't strong for his weight, so maybe that is why he uses a different stroke length that works for him. I am not a skier so can't comment on if this is maybe a ski stroke.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 29th, 2018, 10:48 am

Olsson is 5'11", 156 pounds, a very good runner and cyclist. Here's a loop toward the finish (65spm) of his world champs 50km victory in 2013.
The videos can be set to different speeds and expanded to full screen. Here's a discussion of double poling, and a similar discussion of sprinting.
72, 5'8", 155lbs
my training log