Anybody interested in a monthy SkiErg contest?

Talk about the ski ergometer and training tool from Concept2
Sully
Paddler

Re: Anybody interested in a monthy SkiErg contest?

Post by Sully » August 29th, 2015, 5:25 pm

Hi, I've just purchased a ski erg for home use just to supplement my training, and as we're expecting our first child I figured it would be easier to have something on hand to train on rather than having to slope off to the gym for hours. I'm a complete novice on the ski erg but would say I'm fairly proficient on the rower (2km pr of 6:38), so would love to get involved in some friendly competition just to push myself more then anything. I've had my ski erg for 5 days now and managed to churn out a couple of 10km pieces at a 2:20/500m pace so I'm gonna aim for sub 45 minutes in the short term and take it from there.
The other reason is as there's not that many of us ski-ergers out there I personally wanted to reach out to you guys in the community and say hi :)
Here's to hard training!!!!
If rowing was easy, it would be called "spin class"

Balkan boy
1k Poster

Post by Balkan boy » September 6th, 2015, 12:49 am

Sully wrote:Hi, I've just purchased a ski erg for home use just to supplement my training, and as we're expecting our first child I figured it would be easier to have something on hand to train on rather than having to slope off to the gym for hours. I'm a complete novice on the ski erg but would say I'm fairly proficient on the rower (2km pr of 6:38), so would love to get involved in some friendly competition just to push myself more then anything. I've had my ski erg for 5 days now and managed to churn out a couple of 10km pieces at a 2:20/500m pace so I'm gonna aim for sub 45 minutes in the short term and take it from there.
The other reason is as there's not that many of us ski-ergers out there I personally wanted to reach out to you guys in the community and say hi :)
Here's to hard training!!!!
Thanks for the report, Sully

I was just about to get a Model D, but now I'm considering a SkiErg for home use. I'll continue to use the rower at the gym.
Did you get a floor stand or a wall mounted one? Do you think that you can do long, daily routines on the SkiErg? How about something like the 'Pete-Plan'? Is the leg workout comparable to that on the rower?

Cheers.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 6th, 2015, 5:13 am

Balkan boy wrote:
Thanks for the report, Sully

I was just about to get a Model D, but now I'm considering a SkiErg for home use. I'll continue to use the rower at the gym.
Did you get a floor stand or a wall mounted one? Do you think that you can do long, daily routines on the SkiErg? How about something like the 'Pete-Plan'? Is the leg workout comparable to that on the rower?

Cheers.
Also thinking of getting a ski erg, just for doing something different. We will be housemoving this fall. First get that sorted.

Re legs, tried it ones. Its hard work for the legs, you squat your bodyweight time after time. On the erg you can stroke softly, not so on the skierg, you can ofcourse, but there is not way of getting around standing up again, you have to carrynyour weight.

Brings me to efficiency. Think the ski erg will waist more energy, the recovery will take a lot and won,t be seen on the pm. Recovery on row erg is much easier.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Bob S.
Marathon Poster

Post by Bob S. » September 6th, 2015, 11:40 am

hjs wrote:

Brings me to efficiency. Think the ski erg will waist more energy, the recovery will take a lot and won,t be seen on the pm. Recovery on row erg is much easier.
Interesting point, Henry. I wonder if the skierg monitors are configured to show more extra calories than the ones on the rowergs. Of course there is some unmeasured energy expended on the erg on both drive and recovery, since the body is accelerated and decelerated on both. And, on the skierg, the body weight is helping to pull the handles down. My guess is that - overall - the skierg requires more unmeasured energy. I suppose that I should just PM Scott or Jon at C2 and ask.

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » September 6th, 2015, 11:45 am

Bob S. wrote:
hjs wrote:

Interesting point, Henry. I wonder if the skierg monitors are configured to show more extra calories than the ones on the rowergs. Of course there is some unmeasured energy expended on the erg on both drive and recovery, since the body is accelerated and decelerated on both. And, on the skierg, the body weight is helping to pull the handles down. My guess is that - overall - the skierg requires more unmeasured energy. I suppose that I should just PM Scott or Jon at C2 and ask.
Don,t know, but paces are much lower on the ski erg. So the energy goes somewhere else
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Sully
Paddler

Post by Sully » September 11th, 2015, 6:09 pm

Balkan boy wrote: Thanks for the report, Sully

Cheers.
Hey,

I managed to fix my machine to a wooden joist in my garage but I'm planning on getting a stand so I can train in my garden but that probably won't be till summer comes around again next year.
Regarding my current training, I tend to do a couple of 10km pieces at what I'd class as a recovery pace (220-230/500m) on an evening and I really feel the benefit the next morning as I tend to train before work in the morning, and this is when I get the most of my rowing done. Having said that I do do some intervals/sprints on the ski erg on a weekend but nothing as structured as the Pete plan. At the moment I'm just using the ski erg to supplement my rowing and do some fairly low intensity volume work in. I think because I'm doing a lot of medium to long distance rows, I'm in that mind set at the moment so it's fairly easy to do the same on the ski erg.
I have noticed that my stroke rate is a lot higher on the ski compared to the rower so I don't know if you or anyone else has noticed that, or if I'm just substituting poor technique/efficiency for a higher stroke rate.

Sully
Paddler

Post by Sully » September 11th, 2015, 6:18 pm

hjs wrote:
Also thinking of getting a ski erg, just for doing something different. We will be housemoving this fall. First get that sorted.

Re legs, tried it ones. Its hard work for the legs, you squat your bodyweight time after time. On the erg you can stroke softly, not so on the skierg, you can ofcourse, but there is not way of getting around standing up again, you have to carrynyour weight.

Hey,

I'd definitely recommend a ski erg, I'm still rowing at my usual gym, but when I have a spare hour on an evening I just nip out to my garage and zone out for a steady 10km.
You're right about it being tough on your legs (especially on the longer pieces) and my theory, as strange as it may sound is because you're stood up, not sat down like on the rower.
Anyway, like I said it's definitely been a good investment and (touch wood) I should get years of use out of it :D

mg6682
2k Poster

Post by mg6682 » November 28th, 2015, 1:29 pm

I tend to feel hard efforts on the skierg in the legs much more so than the rower. As you get tired, you tend to squat a bit more and really use the body to generate force.
Morgan Guthner, age 45, 6'2" (188cm), 244lbs (110kg)
C2 Image
SkiErg Image

anne.bourlioux
Paddler

Post by anne.bourlioux » December 1st, 2015, 10:06 am

Here is one fun challenge you could join this month of December- a number of us are skiing it or mixing skiing and rowing : ski or row 1 minute for each day of the month (so 1min on Dec 1st, 2mins on Dec 2nd etc) - see the Google doc below

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2692611 ... 244821806/
is the Facebook group

and here is the Google doc to enter your results and with all the details:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 00&vpid=A1