What kind of fatty foods do you tend to eat?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Rod
6k Poster

Re: What kind of fatty foods do you tend to eat?

Post by Rod » October 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 11:47 am
As far as I know, the 1776 is the calories needed for staying alive in your bed, doing absolutely nothing.

So you will have to put something on top of that, just to support a normal life with no exercise. And then you can further put exercise on top of that figure.
The 1776 are what a 74 kilo person burns up in 24 hours without moving. It is called your ''BMR'' (Basal Metabolic Rate)

Calories coming in need to cover this, normal movement (walking, talking, working, driving, etc..) and exercise.

How many more depends on whether you want to gain or lose weight.

You are correct that it is not a good idea to have less calories coming than your BMR.
61 year old, 73.5 kilo (162lbs), male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently...6:54.1 on the 11th November 2018.

Allan Olesen
1k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » October 17th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Rod wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

The 1776 are what a 74 kilo person burns up in 24 hours without moving.
Errrh, yes? That is what I said.

Rod
6k Poster

Post by Rod » October 17th, 2018, 3:36 pm

Allan Olesen wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 3:11 pm
Rod wrote:
October 17th, 2018, 2:36 pm

The 1776 are what a 74 kilo person burns up in 24 hours without moving.
Errrh, yes? That is what I said.
Errr...yes? I know you did and it's what I said in the first place so I qualified it and added a bit more information to expand the conversation after you had repeated it.

If you want to know any more please say and I'll be happy to try and answer whatever questions you may have.

I've been calorie counting for years and it's helped me to stay at Lwt.
61 year old, 73.5 kilo (162lbs), male. Based in Sussex, just south of London, England. Best 2k recently...6:54.1 on the 11th November 2018.

Gammmmo
10k Poster

Post by Gammmmo » October 17th, 2018, 3:49 pm

@Rod - don't really have that problem re: trying to stay a LWT. Once I'm doing 4-5hrs/week+ of exercise my body naturally wants to be lighter, and by quite a bit than 75kg. I was 65kg at 5'11" 3 years ago when doing bike racing and was STILL relatively "skinny fat". FWIW I feel far better now though.
46M, 5'11" 75kg (+10!), ex bike time trialler.
Targets: 36:59(10K), >8200m for 30mins, 6:44(2K), 3:12(1K), 1:27(500m), 350m+ (1min)

Erg on!

Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » October 18th, 2018, 2:18 am

I never calorie count and I more or less eat what I want to, (except wheat and dairy which I have reactions to) which luckily is a good mixture of non processed foods. I have a massive appetite and I have remained a consistent weight for the past 12 months when my erging has been taken much more seriously.

I have most of the usual choices for high fat foods, except milk and cream, and I don't limit my consumption of them. I quite often have four eggs and a whole avocado on toast (rye bread) and lots of seeds and nuts through the day

I would also be interested to know why I usually feel hotter than most people, especially after eating.
45 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » October 21st, 2018, 3:18 pm

Fatty meat, full fat dairy, eggs, not much fish, dark chocolate :roll: , butter, coconut oil, olive oil.

Stay away from everything low fat.
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

Gammmmo
10k Poster

Post by Gammmmo » November 14th, 2018, 3:53 am

Any risks with eating more fats (other than trans fats of course)? Particularly saturated? I'm finding stuff like steak, bacon, double cream, hummus, peanut butter etc are great for calories when trying to bulk and support lean mass gains from weights, but am unsure as to any undesirable health benefits really....
46M, 5'11" 75kg (+10!), ex bike time trialler.
Targets: 36:59(10K), >8200m for 30mins, 6:44(2K), 3:12(1K), 1:27(500m), 350m+ (1min)

Erg on!

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » November 14th, 2018, 11:26 am

Gammmmo wrote:
November 14th, 2018, 3:53 am
Any risks with eating more fats (other than trans fats of course)? Particularly saturated? I'm finding stuff like steak, bacon, double cream, hummus, peanut butter etc are great for calories when trying to bulk and support lean mass gains from weights, but am unsure as to any undesirable health benefits really....
Current idea is, limit omega6, and do eat omega3. For the rest fat is fine, ex transfats. They indeed give good amounts of calories without to much bulk.

So humus, peanut butter mayby not....
For my training see twitter @Hjsrowing

ukaserex
Paddler

Post by ukaserex » November 16th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I think that science has barely scratched the surface of what we know about metabolism. And, by metabolism, I refer to how our bodies process energy, not the rate at which we burn it.

As I get older - and arguably in better "shape" than I've ever been in my life - I find myself quite sensitive to various foods when it comes to utilizing them for energy. As a youth, I could eat whatever. But, now that I'm older, if I'm not eating leafy greens, vegetables and a lot of different proteins (eggs, cheese, yogurt, milk, poultry, beef, fish, nuts/beans/grains etc) then performance in the gym, on the erg, it all suffers.

It could very well be all in my head, but I am someone who has struggled with controlling my weight ...since I was a baby, really. 35#'s after 1 year old!
I couldn't even sit up-right without assistance. Fortunately, they put me on a diet of sorts, and I stayed at 35# until I was 3 or 4. Still, I remember being 110#'s in 5th grade, and pretty much put on weight regularly until I was 200# in 12th grade, and really packed it on in college and beyond.

It has only been since I started drinking Kombucha that I've been able to lose weight and keep it under control. Now, that could be all in my head, with a series of circumstantial anecdotes, but I do believe that the shift in my diet from any old thing to mostly organic foods, and refusing to take in refined carbs until I met my weight goal, and then only on weekends on a limited basis.

I could literally write pages of various conclusions of various studies I've read regarding the evils of Sucralose and other artificial sweeteners and their impact on insulin and the microbiome. But, it's a deep internet rabbit hole, and there are smarter people than me to break it down in a more clear fashion than I can.

To speak about somebody elses ability to take in various fats ...I can't say. I do think our genetic predispositions have a lot to do with how our bodies handle those foods. I could of course, be wrong. I would just introduce them one at a time, in moderate amounts and assess your performance, and how you feel one hour after consumption, and the next day's energy level and resting heart rate, to see if it spikes. Although I'm not allergic to peanuts, when I have peanut butter, my resting heart rate spikes that night by about 5-7 bpm, and my HRV takes a nose dive. It could certainly be something else - but that's the only thing I think it can be. So, if I have something important to do, I avoid it the previous day. Which is a shame, because I rather like it!