Lower Back Pain??

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
jasonbloom
Paddler

Lower Back Pain??

Post by jasonbloom » March 6th, 2020, 2:01 am

I am suffering from Lower Back Pain. I want to know which are the best exercises For Lower Back Pain?

Dangerscouse
Half Marathon Poster

Re: Lower Back Pain??

Post by Dangerscouse » March 6th, 2020, 3:22 am

Pilates is an excellent choice for lower back pain but you need to get medical advice as to what you have done to cause the pain.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; Liverpool 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:27; 6k= 21:23; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,356m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you Row"

Instagram: stuwenman

hjs
Marathon Poster

Post by hjs » March 6th, 2020, 5:10 am

jasonbloom wrote:
March 6th, 2020, 2:01 am
I am suffering from Lower Back Pain. I want to know which are the best exercises For Lower Back Pain?
Walking, use your arms also. May sound lame, but it really is best in the beginning.

Cyclist2
6k Poster

Post by Cyclist2 » March 6th, 2020, 1:34 pm

I've dealt with lower back pain for years - some spasms would put me in bed for a day or two. What finally got me more comfortable, once I had done all the medical work necessary to determine that there was nothing wrong, is lots of stretching. Yoga works too. I stretch out my hamstrings, and do twisting stretches every day. I do core exercises to support my back. I am real careful about lifting awkward heavy objects, but controlled lifting is OK. I concentrate on proper rowing form - sit up straight, strong core, etc.

Make sure there is nothing wrong with your back first, then start strengthening your core is my bottom line.
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » March 6th, 2020, 5:22 pm

I have never suffered with back pain but i did used to suffer with back aches, regularly, especially on a morning not long after getting out of bed. But since i started doing hamstring stretches after each rowing session it has gotten rid of all those aches i used to suffer from. Also, as mentioned above core strengthening is definitely something to be doing as well. I work on my core at least 3 times per week.

I'm sure if you make a habit out of doing these things often enough it will definitely help your back.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/log

ampire
1k Poster

Post by ampire » March 6th, 2020, 7:15 pm

Planks and opposite arm/leg bird dogs are good exercises to try.

H2O
2k Poster

Post by H2O » March 20th, 2020, 3:36 pm

Strength coach Will (posts on this site) has a website where he cites studies that hamstring exercises are effective in relieving lower back problems for rowers. He likes exercises with an inflatable ball. I have one and am doing these.

Here is his web page, you have to look around, he has you-tube videos demonstrating every exercise:
https://rowingstronger.com/

StrengthCoachWill
500m Poster

Post by StrengthCoachWill » March 21st, 2020, 10:57 am

H2O wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 3:36 pm
Strength coach Will (posts on this site) has a website where he cites studies that hamstring exercises are effective in relieving lower back problems for rowers. He likes exercises with an inflatable ball. I have one and am doing these.

Here is his web page, you have to look around, he has you-tube videos demonstrating every exercise:
https://rowingstronger.com/
Thanks for linking. Here's the article you mentioned directly: https://rowingstronger.com/2019/01/28/h ... or-rowers/

It's important to note that this was not a therapeutic intervention, ie. the subjects had missed training time in the previous 12 months due to LBP, but were not experiencing symptoms at the time. You remember correctly that the hamstring-strengthening protocol reduced missed practices in the following six months, but again, they were only reducing injury incidence, not rehabilitating an active injury.

I'm just a strength coach, not a physical therapist, so my role is to take healthy athletes and help them become stronger, faster, more muscular, and more resilient to injury. If they get injured along the way, we refer to a PT and let them work on helping the athlete get healthy again.

My advice to OP is to get out of pain, even (especially) if that means taking time away from direct training while finding other ways to stay active (walking is a great suggestion @HJS), then try to figure out what caused the pain and fix that thing. Maybe it's technical, maybe it was too much volume/load too quickly, maybe it's an underlying weakness or imbalance causing the technical problem, maybe you just need more time and attention to warming up before erging, etc. Common errors during this stage are refusing to take adequate time away from the aggravating cause to allow healing to take place, and then failing to adjust post-injury training to fix what caused the injury in the first place.

More here on analysis/prevention: https://rowingstronger.com/2018/09/10/l ... es-rowing/

jasonbloom
Paddler

Post by jasonbloom » March 26th, 2020, 12:38 am

Best Exercises to Relieve from Lower Back Pain
  • Lower Tummy Strengthening. It is important to strengthen your lower tummy muscles because these muscles work in partnership with the lower back.
  • Deep Abdominal Strengthening.
  • Bird Dog
  • Bridge
  • Pelvic Tilts
  • Lower Back Stretch
  • Leg Stretch
  • Piriformis Stretch