Topic for "male" rowers only

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
brandon_w_miller
Paddler

Topic for "male" rowers only

Post by brandon_w_miller » July 31st, 2020, 5:48 pm

I will be very direct to the point.

I have owned my C2 now for exactly 1 week almost to the minute. I have been rowing for 30 mins in the morning and 2000 meters at night.

I have noticed that the back and forth movement of my legs during at least during 3 of my workouts ( including this morning which prompted my post here ) has made my male "things" on the left side start to slowly hurt throughout the workout. Is this a normal thing on the rower? Can this be corrected through some sort of posture or thing to do while sitting or something? This is literally the only thing annoying me right now during my workouts. I try to keep my legs together, but am I trying too hard to keep them at a relaxed distance apart?

Any advice would be great. I do not know of any other place except reddit to ask something like this, however I thought this place would be more professional.

Thank you.

mict450
1k Poster

Re: Topic for "male" rowers only

Post by mict450 » July 31st, 2020, 6:00 pm

I wear a jock under compression shorts/tights. Keeps my stuff in a nice bundle out of the way of any uncomfortable rubbing.
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

MPx
5k Poster

Post by MPx » July 31st, 2020, 6:01 pm

Not something I've experienced, but would suggest you may be starting to introduce some constriction in your attire through the movement? What type of shorts and undershorts are you wearing? You need to give yourself enough room. Any clothing that grips the seat pad (which is good!) could gradually move/gather and if that movement is up your body then their hold on the crown jewels will get tighter.
Mike - 63 HWT 183

Citroen
SpamTeam

Post by Citroen » July 31st, 2020, 6:48 pm

Old topic, been discussed before.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10474
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=79218

Carl Watts
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Carl Watts » July 31st, 2020, 6:51 pm

Only ever row in Lycra shorts (bike pants WITHOUT any padding) or compression type underwear which is similar but lighter fabric. Never ever row in running gear or loose clothing.
Carl Watts.
Concept 2 Monitor Service Technician & indoor rower.
http://log.concept2.com/profile/863525/log

brandon_w_miller
Paddler

Post by brandon_w_miller » July 31st, 2020, 10:59 pm

Thank you guys for the suggestions. I will try unpadded bike pants and the jock strap suggestions. I currently wear a knock off target brand of under armor, but they are the type of tight fitting underwear that goes down to my mid-thigh. . .

I will go shopping this weekend. Again, thank you guys!

mict450
1k Poster

Post by mict450 » July 31st, 2020, 11:15 pm

I think the jock is generational thing. I've been wearing one since I was a young buck of 11 y/o. It's just what I'm comfortable wearing. The younger guys, many of them don't even know what that is, and go "commando" under their tights. That's not for me!
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

Ombrax
6k Poster

Post by Ombrax » July 31st, 2020, 11:38 pm

I use rowing "trou" from JL Racing. The seem to keep things fairly well in place. Sometimes at the start I have to rearrange things a bit, but in general it isn't a big issue.

Prices are reasonable and they have a wide variety. (I'm cheap so I just get the plain ones.)

https://jlathletics.com/collections/mens-bottoms

Edit: I do sometimes use retired cycling shorts with worn-out chamois. The padding requirements for cycling are much more important than they are for the C2 seat.

mict450
1k Poster

Post by mict450 » July 31st, 2020, 11:59 pm

Ebay is my friend! I'm partial to 2xu tights & never spend more than 45 to 50 bucks delivered. New they'd be over $100 plus tax!!
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

ampire
2k Poster

Post by ampire » August 1st, 2020, 9:45 am

I use compression shorts and don't wear anything under them. The brand I am using is using Aerotech Designs
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-ex ... horts.html. They work really well and don't have an annoying seam that the JL ones had, a seam which runs crosswise on the back of the hamstring. I find the seams on these are okay as they run around the thigh in a spiral. The only issue I have is the central seam can be a bit annoying but that is a problem on a lot of short designs not really specific to this particular short.

For a top, I wear Under Armour Heat Gear compression t shirts. For shoes, I use Adidas Powerlift4.
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR~192BPM|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

mickyduck
500m Poster

Post by mickyduck » August 1st, 2020, 10:48 am

Before I start I with legs fully extended I adjust my "parts" seems to work for me.. don't often row more than 30 ins though

Ombrax
6k Poster

Post by Ombrax » August 1st, 2020, 11:36 pm

ampire wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 9:45 am
I use compression shorts and don't wear anything under them. The brand I am using is using Aerotech Designs
https://www.aerotechdesigns.com/mens-ex ... horts.html. They work really well and don't have an annoying seam that the JL ones had, a seam which runs crosswise on the back of the hamstring. I find the seams on these are okay as they run around the thigh in a spiral. The only issue I have is the central seam can be a bit annoying but that is a problem on a lot of short designs not really specific to this particular short.
Thanks for the link - I'll have to try these out the next time I order some shorts.

(I don't have any problems with the JL seams, and am happy with them, but it's always interesting to check out something new.)

ampire
2k Poster

Post by ampire » August 2nd, 2020, 1:19 pm

Ombrax wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 11:36 pm
Thanks for the link - I'll have to try these out the next time I order some shorts.

(I don't have any problems with the JL seams, and am happy with them, but it's always interesting to check out something new.)
Yeah they seem to work better for me then the JLs I tried. The material is thinner and clingier so it doesn't form hot spots and the seams are easier on my legs. The JL I tried had this nasty hot spot on the back of my hamstrings. As far as durability, I am about a year on the 4 pairs I have so far, and they are still holding up with ~2.6M meters, but I imagine they will eventually need replacing. I also ended up also buying two pairs of the compression tights from Aerotech, which are okay for some winter erging and recumbent cycling, but I think the build quality on their compression shorts is better.
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR~192BPM|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

Gammmmo
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Gammmmo » August 3rd, 2020, 7:22 am

I've had this...feels like the "boys" get bruised? For me it was the thighs repeatedly knocking against them...consciously row with your legs a bit more apart and experiment with different shorts with regard to their support and how they fit.
Paul, 48M, 5'11" 80kg (sprint PBs HWT), ex bike time trialler.
LP=1:16, 100m=15.9s, 1min=350m Image
Targets: 355m+ 1min, 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), bench 2 plates, squat 3 plates, deadlift 4 plates

Erg on!