Using an Indoor rower to restore my legs?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
macd24
Paddler

Using an Indoor rower to restore my legs?

Post by macd24 » May 18th, 2018, 10:03 pm

I'm open to all opinions here as I'm kind of at the end of my rope.

A little backstory is that I'm 52 and I just had my 2nd hip replacement last week. Over the past 5 years since being diagnosed with AVN my legs have been slowly shrinking to where now they are weak and skinny. I can't run anymore so I've been looking at alternatives for cardio and I came across the row erg.

What intrigues me the most is maybe I can reshape my legs in the process? I'm well aware that it's not going to blow up my legs or all that but I'm thinking that each row is in a way a seated bodyweight squat and that it combined with other exercises could be the ticket to restoring some musculature to my legs.

I bought the ski erg last month and love it because it is low impact but I'm hoping that actual rowing will condition my lower half while Ski erging will take care of my top half. I'd love to hear from anyone who has been thru this to some extent.
TIA
Last edited by Citroen on May 19th, 2018, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to break the wall of text into paragraphs.

Gammmmo
10k Poster

Re: Using an Indoor rower to restore my legs?

Post by Gammmmo » May 19th, 2018, 3:08 am

Hi mac. I think you'll probably know all this but here goes...if your overriding goal is to restore musculature then just do heavy weight training. I'm assuming that's not contra-indicated in some way for you? Think basic compound stuff like squats and deadlifts. If however you want to do some cardio then you've made a good choice with the erg - on it's own it won't add loads of mass (depends largely on your bodytype, work ethic etc and your age won't help but don't use that as an excuse) but if I were you I'd gradually look to do both. Make sure you eat right to support growth and try to keep your erging and weights well apart from each other especially if your erging sessions are long as those send conflicting signal to the body. Given where you are I'd imagine you'll see some rapid gains initially. Don't forget to have fun with it all...see it as a project. ;)
46M, 5'11" 73kg, ex bike time trialler.
Targets: 36:59(10K), >8200m for 30mins, 6:44(2K), 3:12(1K)

Erg on!

Ombrax
2k Poster

Post by Ombrax » May 19th, 2018, 6:18 am

Mac,

I'd say do as much as the doctors treating your AVN think your body can stand.

A good way to get a feel for the rower might be to find a gym that has one. You could go a few times a week for a month or two and see if it's the type of workout you're looking for. As I'm sure you already know, it's a great tool, and as you've said, it complements the ski erg.

Also, depending on where you live and what the roads are like, bicycling is another good, low-impact way to focus on your legs. Plus, if the conditions are right, it's much more fun doing stuff outside than it is inside.

Finally, I've found the ACE exercise library to be a good resource for information on lots of different exercises with helpful search filters:

https://www.acefitness.org/education-an ... e-library/

Good Luck

edinborogh
2k Poster

Post by edinborogh » May 19th, 2018, 11:06 am

Gammmmo wrote:Hi mac. I think you'll probably know all this but here goes...if your overriding goal is to restore musculature then just do heavy weight training. I'm assuming that's not contra-indicated in some way for you? Think basic compound stuff like squats and deadlifts. If however you want to do some cardio then you've made a good choice with the erg - on it's own it won't add loads of mass (depends largely on your bodytype, work ethic etc and your age won't help but don't use that as an excuse) but if I were you I'd gradually look to do both. Make sure you eat right to support growth and try to keep your erging and weights well apart from each other especially if your erging sessions are long as those send conflicting signal to the body. Given where you are I'd imagine you'll see some rapid gains initially. Don't forget to have fun with it all...see it as a project. ;)

Everything that Gammmmo said plus rest and recovery.

Dangerscouse
10k Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » May 19th, 2018, 3:37 pm

Ombrax wrote:Mac,

I'd say do as much as the doctors treating your AVN think your body can stand.

A good way to get a feel for the rower might be to find a gym that has one. You could go a few times a week for a month or two and see if it's the type of workout you're looking for. As I'm sure you already know, it's a great tool, and as you've said, it complements the ski erg.

Also, depending on where you live and what the roads are like, bicycling is another good, low-impact way to focus on your legs. Plus, if the conditions are right, it's much more fun doing stuff outside than it is inside.

Finally, I've found the ACE exercise library to be a good resource for information on lots of different exercises with helpful search filters:

https://www.acefitness.org/education-an ... e-library/

Good Luck
Also good comments
44 Years Old; 6' 4"; 95kg; Liverpool, England 2k= 6:38; 5k= 17:29; 6k= 21:54; 10k= 36:21 30mins= 8,264m 60mins= 16,317m HM= 1:18:40; FM= 2:49:39; 50k= 3:28:18; 75k=5:29:15; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

Instagram: stuwenman

macd24
Paddler

Post by macd24 » May 19th, 2018, 9:21 pm

thanks for all the replies. 5 years ago I weighed 185lbs at 5'8" and today i'm 147lbs. Every year my legs diminished a little more. The problem has been both size loss and functional loss. I teach PE so i'm on my feet and using my legs all day. My hope is that the rower could strengthen the weak points of my legs and therefore "restore" the functional strength of my legs so I can just enjoy being on my feet. I'm only 7 days home from the hospital but I'm going to get back to the SkiErg Monday and then maybe add the rower in 4 weeks. Thank you again for all the kind advice.