Niacin Bombing?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
RROJASR
Paddler

Niacin Bombing?

Post by RROJASR » April 16th, 2019, 12:35 pm

I’m a 15 year old HS freshman boy, about 130lbs( I fluctuate), and 5’5’’, with a 7:33 2K. I’ve heard of Niacin bombing through an article, but I’m not really sure how to apply it to myself to take advantage of its hgh benefits to grow more. Help would be appreciated.

Here’s the article:
https://nutritionreview.org/2013/08/nia ... h-hormone/

Tenshuu
2k Poster

Re: Niacin Bombing?

Post by Tenshuu » April 16th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Best natural stimulator of growth hormone for adolescents is to simply lift weights on a regular basis. Your body will respond to the work done and produce more naturally.

For response directly about Niacin, there is a safe upper limit at your age level, defined near the bottom of the following article just above "Interactions with medications". This claims 30mg/day is the tolerable upper limit for 14-18 year olds.
https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Niaci ... fessional/

I once was prescribed high-dose Niacin for acne when I was a teenager - side effects for me: Flushing of skin, and an unusual sensation as if cool water were running down my skin - Don't think the 2nd one I've ever seen listed.

I'm not a doctor/physician, and wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting you supplement with anything, especially seeing your current statistics. You're far from plateauing, time and aerobic work will improve your statistics, and as your natural hormones start to come through full-throttle with puberty you'll start making gains fast especially if you're training during your growth spurts.

If you're really looking to put on muscle and strength, I think you'll see better results simply from adding some weight training to your schedule.
30M 5'7" 190LBs