Most Effective Way to Mix Cardio (Row/Run) + Body Weight Strength Workouts?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Eric308
1k Poster

Re: Most Effective Way to Mix Cardio (Row/Run) + Body Weight Strength Workouts?

Post by Eric308 » January 2nd, 2020, 12:51 pm

Gammmmo wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 9:40 am
Eric308 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am
Be VERY careful with Creatine supplements. I have Stage 3 Kidney Disease (stable for 12 years), but my Doc thinks it's from additional use of creatine supplements over the years.
On what grounds? "thinks" or "knows"?
Read the link for grounds. My Doc says it was "probably a contributing factor." He is also a body builder and has never taken creatine. It is readily available in a good diet. Hey, not all smokers get lung cancer...but why take the risk? I'm 74 and wish I had never dabbled with any supplements. Non-regulated snake oil with HUGE profit margins.

Ombrax
6k Poster

Re: Most Effective Way to Mix Cardio (Row/Run) + Body Weight Strength Workouts?

Post by Ombrax » January 2nd, 2020, 9:24 pm

Eric308 wrote:
January 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am
Be VERY careful with Creatine supplements. I have Stage 3 Kidney Disease (stable for 12 years), but my Doc thinks it's from additional use of creatine supplements over the years. Also, keep the use of ibuprofen (Advil) at a minimum. It can really damage kidneys over time as it is flushed throgh them. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a better choice as it goes through the liver.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4170516/
Thanks for the "heads up," I will read the linked article.

When I looked, the info I found was that creatine was a very heavily researched and generally safe supplement. I will be sure to verify that I don't take more than the "maintenance" dose each day (~5g).

Regarding OTC pain meds, one of the reasons I've been doing a lot more rowing than cycling (which is my true love, and much more enjoyable than slaving away on the erg indoors) is that it's a lot easier on my knees. I never did take meds long-term to address cycling-induced knee issues, but was tempted at times to do so.