Best single exercise machine for a home

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Kianajim
Paddler

Best single exercise machine for a home

Post by Kianajim » February 4th, 2020, 4:16 am

I moved into a new house with a spare bedroom on the first floor. It's big enough to hold my home office gear in only half the room. The remaining space (14' x 7') will be empty.

I'm thinking of putting an exercise machine in there. I could use it to fit in 20-30 minutes of exercise when I have free time. If I only have one room for one piece of equipment, what should I get?

Treadmill. This just seems dumb. Where I live it's never to hot or too cold to go outside and run. Then again, it's nice to jog while watching a movie on my tablet.

Elliptical trainer. This seems like the best option for me. I get a similar workout to a treadmill while moving in a slightly different manner.

Rowing machine. I've never had on of these, but it seems like a good all-body cardio workout.

Weight bench and weights. I (used to) enjoy weightlifting. But I don't know how my floor would react if I accidentally drop hundreds of pounds of barbell on it.

Bowflex/Nordictrac multi-use device. These seem horribly gimmicky and not very useful.

Other? I'm open to your suggestion.
For more info about fitness equipment visit this website

ampire
2k Poster

Re: Best single exercise machine for a home

Post by ampire » February 4th, 2020, 6:14 pm

Kianajim wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 4:16 am
I moved into a new house with a spare bedroom on the first floor. It's big enough to hold my home office gear in only half the room. The remaining space (14' x 7') will be empty.

I'm thinking of putting an exercise machine in there. I could use it to fit in 20-30 minutes of exercise when I have free time. If I only have one room for one piece of equipment, what should I get?

Treadmill. This just seems dumb. Where I live it's never to hot or too cold to go outside and run. Then again, it's nice to jog while watching a movie on my tablet.

Elliptical trainer. This seems like the best option for me. I get a similar workout to a treadmill while moving in a slightly different manner.

Rowing machine. I've never had on of these, but it seems like a good all-body cardio workout.

Weight bench and weights. I (used to) enjoy weightlifting. But I don't know how my floor would react if I accidentally drop hundreds of pounds of barbell on it.

Bowflex/Nordictrac multi-use device. These seem horribly gimmicky and not very useful.

I have a commercial gym's incline adjustable bench I got from craigslist, dumbbells, kettlebells, rubber bands, and the C2 rower. My favorite of these is probably the rower.

The Rower is solid, I love it, thats why I am posting on this site, but it isn't for everyone. You might want to test one out, a lot of gyms have them and they also offer free trial workout sessions, you could try that and see if you like the rower. You'd probably want to view a few videos on youtube to get an idea on proper form, and importantly do not make the rookie mistake and row at the #10 setting on the side, try #4.

You didn't mention it, but you could try an Airdyne / Echo/ Assault AirBike, these are easy to use with not much form training required, minimal impact on joints, good for short sessions, and they don't take up much floor space. You can burn a lot of calories in a short time on one of these. I've used an old airdyne a bit and it generally feels pretty good to use. The old ones are overpriced, worth about $150-200, but they also resell pretty easily for the same amount because of crossfit demand.

For weights and your floor, one solution is to not do deadlifts, clean and jerks, snatches. You could do a power rack, bench, barbell, 400lbs in plates. Weights are also good for an intermittent workout, you can scatter sets around between other activities. To protect the floor you can build a lifting platform of plywood and rubber horse stall-mat.

Another solution for weights is to use kettlebells and/or dumbbells and bench, but your legs will probably atrophy if that matters. Mine did.
You could also try calisthenics.
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR 192|RHR 42|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

kini62
2k Poster

Post by kini62 » February 4th, 2020, 6:37 pm

Kianajim wrote:

The best one is the one you will use on a regular basis. If the ceiling is high enough the ski erg takes up about the least floor space of the cardio machines using the stand. Skierg plus some body weight leg workouts would be good.
58m, 5'6" 160lbs, rowing and skiing (pseudo) on the Big Island of Hawaii.

nates
500m Poster

Post by nates » February 4th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Obviously you'll get a ton of rowing machine answers here, but it really does work almost every part of the body except for chest/arm push muscles. I'd vote for rowing machine plus dumbbells and a bench.

MPx
5k Poster

Post by MPx » February 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm

...I'm with nates, I've got the erg, dumbbells and a bench which work well for me.
Mike - 63 HWT 183

nates
500m Poster

Post by nates » February 4th, 2020, 8:09 pm

It's too early to say I'm a "fan" of kettlebells, but I do find them intriguing and have a 15 and 35lber. Actually, throwing my back out with swings was what kicked me over to rowing in the first place. It's been a few weeks, and I'm contemplating adding them back by in.

Dumbbells are more flexible, but a few kettlebells can be useful too.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » February 4th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Definitely try rowing first for a while before you buy a rower as it's not for everyone and you may soon lose interest.
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:44:04; 50k= 3:16:09; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

nates
500m Poster

Post by nates » February 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Yes. I have a cheap rower at home. It sucks. More importantly it hurts and doesn't promote good technique. But there is also a C2 on a nearby (not near enough) Craigslist that has less than 2hrs on it.

ampire
2k Poster

Post by ampire » February 4th, 2020, 9:06 pm

nates wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm
Yes. I have a cheap rower at home. It sucks. More importantly it hurts and doesn't promote good technique. But there is also a C2 on a nearby (not near enough) Craigslist that has less than 2hrs on it.
C2s move fast if they are under $700.
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR 192|RHR 42|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat

nates
500m Poster

Post by nates » February 4th, 2020, 10:52 pm

My point was that even though the C2 is the standard, it doesn't mean you will stick to it. I do want one at home, it's just kind of hard to swallow when I think of it in terms of renting one for $10/mo. (Cost of my gym membership). Of course, at home I don't have to worry about packing kids shorts in my gym bag, and I can guarantee that it will be well maintained.

max_ratcliffe
10k Poster

Post by max_ratcliffe » February 4th, 2020, 11:32 pm

ampire wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 9:06 pm
nates wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm
C2s move fast if they are under $700.
My old gym that has just gone bankrupt was having its stuff auctioned off today. SkiErg went for $1600, model E for $1400 (prices are AUD). I know they hold their value pretty well, but that's a lot for second hand gear.
50 HWT
PBs:
Rower 1'=329m; 500m=1:34.0; 1k=3:25:1; 2k=7:16.5; 5k=19:44; 6k=23:24; 30'=7534m; 10k=40.28; 60'=14621m; HM=1:27:46
SkiErg 1'=298m; 500m=1:42.4; 1k=TBC; 2k=7:43.8; 5k=20:34.8; 6k=TBC; 30'=TBC; 10k=42:50; 60'=TBC; HM=NGTFH

Ombrax
6k Poster

Post by Ombrax » February 5th, 2020, 12:33 am

Kianajim wrote:

:
:
:
I'm open to your suggestion.
My suggestion is to get a one or two month gym membership and give each of the machines you're considering a serious tryout, not all of them every time you go, but enough times for you to get a really good idea of what they're like and what YOU prefer. Once you've tried that, you can make an informed decision. Keep in mind that unlike a treadmill, unless you're a naturally gifted athlete who learns everything in an instant, it takes a while to learn how to row properly, but some time spent on the C2 forum reading up on the rower and watching their videos on what to do and what should not be done will be enough to get you started.

Be assured, however, that a C2 rower is an awesome product, and if you use it you will get results. I can't guarantee that it's the perfect option for you, but it is without a doubt one of the very best all-around cardio machines out there.

Good Luck

Anth_F
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Anth_F » February 5th, 2020, 12:27 pm

I had the same dilemma some years back when i'd not exercised for years and wanted to get back in shape. After looking at all the options available i chose the rowing machine for my home, firstly because it was something i had never done before, and secondly the total body workout you get from the exercise really appealed to me.

Bought a C2 and never looked back since. It is actually quite addictive, but i guess it depends on the individual and what sort of training you do on it!!! What i will say is that i am far from the most motivated when it has come to general exercise in my lifetime, and i get bored of things easily and have lost interest in them after short periods, but the C2 rower has been the only ever exception to that.
42yo male 5'10 78kg (Rowing since june 9th 2016) PB's 5k 19:22 30min 7518m

My goals are simply to keep fit/get fitter and continue to enjoy rowing on the C2 :)

https://log.concept2.com/profile/1261966

Gammmmo
Half Marathon Poster

Post by Gammmmo » February 5th, 2020, 12:45 pm

C2 rower and jsut don't go mad with the weights. Time will tell what you progress onto....
Paul, 49M, 5'11" 82kg (sprint PBs HWT), ex bike time trialler.
Deadlift=185kg, LP=1:15, 100m=15.7s, 1min=350m Image
Targets: 355m+ 1min, 1:27(500m), 3:11(1K), bench 2 plates, squat 3 plates

Erg on!

Gabe_G
Paddler

Post by Gabe_G » February 6th, 2020, 1:02 pm

As a long time lifter, runner and regular gym junkie - there is no doubt that the rowing machine is by far the best single piece of equipment, in my opinion. This is especially true if you don't do any (or minimal) resistance training. The rowing machine works nearly every major muscle group and provides a cardio workout. The treadmill and stationary cycle will focus almost entirely on the lower body and run a greater risk of an overuse injury.

I wish I would have embraced rowing sooner (though in my defense, the only rowers I had tried prior to that were junky matrix machines-not very smooth), if only because running for the last 15-20 years has really started to do a number on my joints. On a whim, about 4 months ago, I decided I'd give rowing another try... Luckily this was on a Concept 2 machine. Wow, rowing was great on these machines. Very smooth. My joints have never felt better. I have largely quit running and have switched to the row machine. I can't say I will never run again, but as I age (I am still a young buck compared to many people here) I am starting to train smarter. Less running and more rowing!

This forum is especially encouraging as I see many of the aging population so engaged in this activity, people up times that smoke people half their age. A testament to how great rowing is.