"Maintenance" training - any tips ?

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Bill
500m Poster

"Maintenance" training - any tips ?

Post by Bill » May 8th, 2020, 1:36 am

uk gearmuncher wrote:
May 4th, 2020, 6:44 am

As you get older Bill, you may want to move beyond mere weight loss and be thinking about maintaining the highest level of functionality and performance that you can. With this in mind, some strength/conditioning work and some high intensity training is advisable once a person gets past 40 (and definitely from 50).
Yes Gear Muncher, too right, that is exactly what I'd like to do.

Not real keen any more on busting a gut on any PBs but wouldn't mind breaking a sweat, getting the HR up a bit and doing some weights and maintaining the recent weight loss.

How do other people structure their training when PBs or age group league tables are not of any interest ?

Am guessing 3 weights/bodyweight/callisthenics sessions a week 3 erg sessions 2 x 10k with HR at 80% of aerobic range 1 x 5k with HR just above top of aerobic range but I haven't really got a clue. Any guidance or existing C2 plans / webpages gratefully received. Checked my log book and most of my metres are between 2003 and 2007.

Bill
Bill
(6+ million metres on rowing machine all my PBs were long ago)

G-dub
Half Marathon Poster

Re: "Maintenance" training - any tips ?

Post by G-dub » May 8th, 2020, 4:41 am

Wow - the sky is the limit!

For weights I’d be thinking about the basic movement patterns of hinge, squat, pull, push at 2-3 times per week.

For erg I’d be thinking 3/4 x 10’/15’ at easy moderate (aerobic) for most of it. Maybe throw an HIIT day in there of something like 30” on 30” off once week to get the benefit of HIIT.

I have been enjoying putting my weight circuits in between my rows or bike sessions. So I row for 10/15’ then do a circuit of KB Swings, front squats, bench and band pulls (or some other mode for each). Do that for 4/5 rounds. This keeps me from going too hard on any one thing and I sure feel good after.

Key, I think, is to change it up and keep the level of intensity on both weights and erg relatively easy. Take the long view on making progress. And obviously the biggest key is showing up.
Glenn Walters: 5'-8" X 192 lbs. Bday 01/09/1962

jamesg
Half Marathon Poster

Re: "Maintenance" training - any tips ?

Post by jamesg » May 8th, 2020, 4:55 am

Depends on age and history; I do 20-30 minutes a day at 120-130W 20-21, plus an hour or so walk in local hills, 5 days a week. Summer: swim, kayak, 1x and bike as to locality. In summer the erg work would let me scull 5k, swim one or bike 30 within a week; this doing about 1000k on erg a year.

Usual problems due to crushed discs, nothing else.
08-1940, 183cm, 87kg. Last seen MHR 162, in 2k (2020-05-16) 8.47.5@24