Sweat proof bandages to prevent Achilles blisters... ??

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Re: Sweat proof bandages to prevent Achilles blisters... ??

Post by Dangerscouse » May 8th, 2020, 9:27 am

Maybe try double skinned running socks, or an ankle support? I'd guess plasters would easily rub off / up / down when you get sweaty.

There's no issue with a heel raise so don't over think that as a big issue. I have got poor ankle mobility from many sprains doing basketball over the years so I always have raised heels. All you need to do is get them down as fast as possible.

I assume you got that from Dark Horse Rowing videos? There are very few absolutes in rowing so don't worry too much especially if you're just doing it for fun.
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » May 8th, 2020, 8:46 pm

Doing it barefoot is great.
74 5'8 155
age 70+ world record pace per weight percentages
bikeerg: 1k 83.5 / 4k 85.2 / 30' 89.1 / 60' 89.2 / 40k 89.3
my training log

Yankeerunner
6k Poster

Post by Yankeerunner » May 10th, 2020, 11:25 am

VictorThiago wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 8:02 am
Last month I did back-to-back HM's over consecutive nights and I suffered an acute blister on my right Achilles. It started up during the first piece... then fully developed and tore away the next night during the second HM. The recovery time has been almost a full month now (MUCH longer then expected). This has really set my program back and now I am wary of trying any long pieces until I have a proper protective solution in place... The crumby part about all this? I've done many 30k+ pieces over the last 12 months and this is the first time this problem has come up. I tried cutting the back support of my shoes to help reduce the rubbing but that is a poor solution. It feels like strapless rowing which I do not like.

So, I'm looking for a some feedback on sweat proof / water resistant bandages that I can use to protect my Achilles tendons for long pieces. I have also tried to adjust my stroke to minimize the dreaded heel raise but its just so hard (I am not very flexible). Any suggestions for specific products or techniques would be appreciated

Thanks
Try Spenco Adhesive knit (top row, third from the left):
https://www.protherapysupplies.com/Shop ... o-footcare

I used to sell it in my running shop and use it myself still for my fingers for OTW rowing. If put on dry skin it can last 3 or 4 days despite sweating and showers. If a blister is still active, the next item over to the right, Dressing kit, has a gel pad to protect the blister and adhesive knit to put over it and hold it in place. The prices are the same as my store prices were and shipping is free (and I'm glad I looked it up for you because I now know where to get it myself now that I've closed the store and retired. B) ).