Two a days

General discussions about getting and staying fit that don't relate directly to your indoor rower
mict450
2k Poster

Re: Two a days

Post by mict450 » July 31st, 2020, 2:21 pm

Control your intake!! Beat those snacking demons! No amount of exercise will compensate for what you stuff down your gullet!! Sorry to be so blunt, but you'll never win your war against fat if you don't control your apetite. You've lost a great deal of weight. Congratulations! You've won that battle. Now comes the harder part of maintaining that victory, which means limiting your intake for the rest of your life.
Eric, YOB:1954
Shasta County, CA, small town USA

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » July 31st, 2020, 5:05 pm

mict450 wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 2:21 pm
Control your intake!! Beat those snacking demons! No amount of exercise will compensate for what you stuff down your gullet!! Sorry to be so blunt, but you'll never win your war against fat if you don't control your apetite. You've lost a great deal of weight. Congratulations! You've won that battle. Now comes the harder part of maintaining that victory, which means limiting your intake for the rest of your life.
I agree with Eric, but I'd prefer to do longer in one session rather than do two, but if two suits you better that's fine too.

Don't read too much into it all, what works for others may not work for you, so it's important to find the right solution for you
46 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,331m HM= 1:18:25; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman

mict450
2k Poster

Post by mict450 » July 31st, 2020, 5:45 pm

danielgraves wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 5:36 am

I’m doing outdoor workouts for 45 minutes sessions of CrossFit style y 5x/week.
Reading your post again indicates this workout is the problem. High intensity workouts tend to increase one's apetite astronomically, leading to your snacking demons. Stick to steady state, long slow distance. Work up to longer distances, longer time for maximum fat burning. Side effect is it will not cause you to eat everything in sight & better control your cravings.

Best to remember that exercise makes us fit, but food makes us fat. That you can take to the bank.

Ombrax
6k Poster

Post by Ombrax » July 31st, 2020, 11:57 pm

danielgraves wrote:
But the snack demons were hard to fight off while home for COVID and I gained back to 214!
This is actually a relative easy situation to fix:

At home you are 100% in control of what's available to snack on. If you don't buy it at the store it won't be in the cupboard for you to to eat. Only purchase and stock up on what you're going to eat at meals and there won't be any tempting snacks within easy reach. Plus, it's simple enough to withstand the temptation for the 5 seconds when you walk by the whatever in the store. What's hard is not eating when it's in close proximity for hours and hours and you're bored / hungry / whatever.

Bottom line: It's way easier to not eat the calories in the first place than it is to burn them off once you've eaten them and they've gone to your waist. (But if you've already gone down from 308 to 195 you almost certainly know that.)

Good Luck

mickyduck
500m Poster

Post by mickyduck » August 2nd, 2020, 4:45 am

Ombrax wrote:
July 31st, 2020, 11:57 pm
danielgraves wrote:
But the snack demons were hard to fight off while home for COVID and I gained back to 214!
This is actually a relative easy situation to fix:

At home you are 100% in control of what's available to snack on. If you don't buy it at the store it won't be in the cupboard for you to to eat. Only purchase and stock up on what you're going to eat at meals and there won't be any tempting snacks within easy reach. Plus, it's simple enough to withstand the temptation for the 5 seconds when you walk by the whatever in the store. What's hard is not eating when it's in close proximity for hours and hours and you're bored / hungry / whatever.

Bottom line: It's way easier to not eat the calories in the first place than it is to burn them off once you've eaten them and they've gone to your waist. (But if you've already gone down from 308 to 195 you almost certainly know that.)

Good Luck
Totally agree... I do not buy things that I think are bad for me Biscuits, crisps, chocolate etc very very rarely buy. My weakness is beer but Im at 80 Kilo now so not too far off my "fighting" weight.. ie I was 73 Kilo marathon runner

mict450
2k Poster

Post by mict450 » August 2nd, 2020, 9:04 am

mickyduck wrote:
August 2nd, 2020, 4:45 am

Totally agree... I do not buy things that I think are bad for me Biscuits, crisps, chocolate etc very very rarely buy. My weakness is beer but Im at 80 Kilo now so not too far off my "fighting" weight.. ie I was 73 Kilo marathon runner
You bring up a very important point, Mick. All of us here on the forum live in calorie-rich environments. Unless one is a total ascetic, a bit of indulgence is almost inevitable. Controlling the frequency, amount & type of indulgence is key to maintaining a lean physique. In diet, or "eating lifestyle" as well as exercise, I think it's best to follow the advice of the old-time bodybuilder, Eugen Sandow, & that is "Moderation".

ampire
2k Poster

Post by ampire » August 2nd, 2020, 1:15 pm

danielgraves wrote:
I went from 308 down to 195Lbs. I kind of went back to 202 because I felt weak at 195 and was happy there. But the snack demons were hard to fight off while home for COVID and I gained back to 214!

My gym is sort of open-I’m doing outdoor workouts for 45 minutes sessions of CrossFit style y 5x/week. But I want to burn more calories per day to shed the weight I gained so I’m thinking about running for a half hour or bicycling for an hour four or five times a week in addition to the gym thing. I’m 59 years old.

I’m afraid of burnout and/or injury. Does anyone out there successfully do two workouts per day? Any “mature” folks tried two a days?
Thanks
I did a few months of 2 a day workouts this past year, it was okay, it was more to do with my schedule. Also my goals are different from yours, I am thin but want to get fast, so if I do too much training, while it makes me thinner, that really isn't desirable for my goals. It sounds like you are already maximizing your fitness on your current schedule and additional training will just be counterproductive. You are better off controlling your diet. Eliminating snack foods and caloric beverages such as soda or alcohol will help a lot. If you feel the need for a snack you could try yogurt, a piece of fruit, or a whey protein.
M34|5'8"/173CM|150lb/68KG|LWT|MHR~192BPM|2020: 5K 18:52.9 (@1:53.2/500)|C2-D+Slides+EndureRow Seat