Bikeerg- Replacing pedals

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
ptrendy
Paddler

Bikeerg- Replacing pedals

Post by ptrendy » March 10th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Anyone changed the pedals on the bikeerg to some compatible with cycling shoes?

Any recommendations on both?

Don’t have a bike that I use outside so this would just be for the erg...

Thanks in advance.

chipman
Paddler

Re: Bikeerg- Replacing pedals

Post by chipman » March 27th, 2019, 11:27 am

Ordering a pair of $10 strapless toe clips on Amazon would be good. I use clipless pedals and my cycling shoes but am ready to ditch them. Too much trouble having to get ready to ride. The strapless clips allow you to place your feet consistently on the pedals in the same position. besides, the old theory of pull up on the pedals has been debunked, and for something like a stationary bike really not of much use. My opinion only.

VivaTerlingua
Paddler

Post by VivaTerlingua » April 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm

chipman wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 11:27 am
Ordering a pair of $10 strapless toe clips on Amazon would be good. I use clipless pedals and my cycling shoes but am ready to ditch them. Too much trouble having to get ready to ride. The strapless clips allow you to place your feet consistently on the pedals in the same position. besides, the old theory of pull up on the pedals has been debunked, and for something like a stationary bike really not of much use. My opinion only.
I believe these are what chipman is referring to, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1. I'v got them on my Bikeerg and love them.

EV_Simon
Paddler

Post by EV_Simon » April 13th, 2019, 12:54 pm

VivaTerlingua wrote:
April 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm
chipman wrote:
March 27th, 2019, 11:27 am
I believe these are what chipman is referring to, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002N ... UTF8&psc=1. I'v got them on my Bikeerg and love them.
Ordered the same things and fitted them to my erg when I set it up this week, work really well and don't need to worry about different foot ware at this stage.

rowbike
500m Poster

Post by rowbike » April 23rd, 2019, 4:08 pm

I would recommend clipless SPD type pedals over clips or toe straps since you will be able to get 360 degree engagement in your pedaling rather than just on the down stroke.

While not the same bike, I replaced the pedals on my spin bike with the Shimano A520. If you have cycling shoes with cleats, these are great for indoor use since they are only one sided and have a platform that the sole of the shoe can rest against, rather than just the cleat. Much more comfortable than typical SPD pedals. That bike did come with toe straps and I can say that the clipless pedals give me a significantly better workout, in part due to the cycling shoes plus pedals have no give or cushion to absorb effort.

https://www.amazon.com/SHIMANO-PD-A520- ... 2-fkmrnull