Setting drag factor

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
CaseyClarke
1k Poster

Re: Bikeerg calibration and rankings

Post by CaseyClarke » July 29th, 2019, 3:56 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Regarding calibration on the Bikeerg:
johnlvs2run wrote:
July 28th, 2019, 9:22 pm
Also, videos like this one recommend actively changing the damper setting to make the pedaling much easier.
CaseyClarke wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 12:55 pm
dropping the damper will of course make pedalling easy but your power output will drop off if you don’t increase RPMs to compensate.
Isn't power determined by calibration on the Bikeerg? Thus calibrating on 10 then moving the damper to 1 would not result in a power / watts / pace drop at the same RPMs on the monitor. Plus, increasing the RPMs would be easier, and result in much higher power readings and faster times on the monitor than the actual power output of the cyclist. Otherwise, why bother to calibrate? The reason is, because moving the damper - on the Bikeerg - would completely mess up the readings.
John,

Have you ever actually used a BikeErg?

Whenever you key in a ranking distance / time into the PM5 it’ll ask you to pedal to calibrate if you want it to be a verified piece in the rankings. I believe there are a few factors that can affect the display readouts, so calibration simply sets those right.

If I’m cycling along at 10 (say 230 drag) at 90 ish rpm then I’m likely pushing sub 1:20 pace. If I then move the damper down to 1 and maintain that same 90 rpm it detects the change of drag and adjusts your power output down accordingly. You pace / power is basically a combination of drag and rpm. Spinning along at 90 rpm on 1 is obviously super easy, on 10 it’s not sustainable for very long.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 29th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Based on the postings:
#1- You calibrated on damper #10;
#2- But you're now on damper #1 and therefore can easily go a higher RPM;
#3- The Pm5 still calculates based on damper #10, and shows a faster pace due to higher RPM.
If #3 is wrong, and the drag factor makes no difference, then towels and/or calibration should make no difference.
I don't have a Bikeerg - but am interested in this because of thinking to get one.
74 5'8 155
my training log

VivaTerlingua
Paddler

Re: Setting drag factor

Post by VivaTerlingua » July 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm

#3 is wrong
Bikeerg knows you moved damper to #1 and calculates work/speed accordingly.

However, if you put a towel over the opening after the calibration step Bikeerg has no way of knowing this and readings will be incorrect.

johnlvs2run
Half Marathon Poster

Post by johnlvs2run » July 29th, 2019, 5:04 pm

VivaTerlingua wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 4:49 pm
#3 is wrong
Bikeerg knows you moved damper to #1 and calculates work/speed accordingly.

However, if you put a towel over the opening after the calibration step Bikeerg has no way of knowing this and readings will be incorrect.
Thanks for the clarification.
74 5'8 155
my training log

CaseyClarke
1k Poster

Post by CaseyClarke » July 29th, 2019, 5:34 pm

johnlvs2run wrote:
July 29th, 2019, 4:25 pm
Based on the postings:
#1- You calibrated on damper #10;
#2- But you're now on damper #1 and therefore can easily go a higher RPM;
#3- The Pm5 still calculates based on damper #10, and shows a faster pace due to higher RPM.
If #3 is wrong, and the drag factor makes no difference, then towels and/or calibration should make no difference.
I don't have a Bikeerg - but am interested in this because of thinking to get one.

#1 You don’t calibrate on one particular setting.
Quick calibration is a simple few pedal revolutions on any damper setting. Full calibration makes you pedal several times on several different damper settings.

The towels around the flywheel is something different and has complicated the discussion somewhat.

You can wrap the flywheel at any point in a ride. This will close off all the air and make pedalling super easy on any damper setting. Wrapping it when it’s on a 10 will have the greatest effect because the monitor will still behave as if it’s on 10 but pedalling will be super easy and it’ll show ridiculously inflated power numbers.

Best forget the towels thing. It just complicates things.

8sWwr2
Paddler

Post by 8sWwr2 » January 24th, 2020, 5:54 am

New rower / new to rowing.

Title of this thread is Setting drag factor. In the video just below, he also mentions setting drag factor at around 3:55:

https://youtu.be/MTXV3W3_Nig

I don't see setting drag factor on the PM5 options.

So, I figure he means finding your drag factor for a specific damper setting (on your unit), so you set your damper setting, so you're setting your drag factor - which can / will change.

A question: does anyone find a specific drag factor for their unit by varying the damper setting between the numbers?

Example:

setting 5.0, check drag factor
setting 5.5, check drag factor

c2jonw
6k Poster

Post by c2jonw » January 24th, 2020, 10:32 am

check out this page on the C2 website: https://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers/ ... etting-101

C2JonW
69 year old living in Waterbury Center, Vermont, USA
Concept2 employee since 1980! and what a long, strange trip it's been......and retired from C2 in October 2018!

Allan Olesen
5k Poster

Post by Allan Olesen » January 24th, 2020, 12:19 pm

8sWwr2 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 5:54 am
So, I figure he means finding your drag factor for a specific damper setting (on your unit), so you set your damper setting, so you're setting your drag factor - which can / will change.

A question: does anyone find a specific drag factor for their unit by varying the damper setting between the numbers?
I am not sure I understand your questions / comments. Anyway:

You cannot adjust the drag factor on the PM5. The PM5 can only measure/calculate the drag factor and show it to you.

So when you want to change your drag factor, you have to physically move the adjustment lever and check the drag factor on the PM5 until it shows the drag factor you want.

Dangerscouse
Marathon Poster

Post by Dangerscouse » January 24th, 2020, 4:40 pm

8sWwr2 wrote:
January 24th, 2020, 5:54 am

Example:

setting 5.0, check drag factor
setting 5.5, check drag factor
Do you mean, not just setting the damper to a whole number? If yes, I'm not too bothered about where it ends up as long as it's close enough to where I want it to be, not least as the drag can vary slightly within a session due to how hard / soft you push and, I assume but maybe totally wrong, air warmth if you're rowing in a room without much ventilation.

I row in my loft conversion so the air temp changes as I row and depending on time that I row (central heating) and I quite often see a change of 1-2 in the drag as I progress so I assume the warmer air is less resistant to the flywheel?
47 HWT; 6' 4"; 1k= 3:09; 2k= 6:36; 5k= 17:24; 6k= 21:09; 10k= 35:46 30mins= 8,428m 60mins= 16,461m HM= 1:16.47; FM= 2:45:49; 50k= 3:21:14; 100k= 7:52:44; 12hrs = 153km

"You reap what you row"

Instagram: stuwenman