Semi outdoor use

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
fathletic
Paddler

Semi outdoor use

Post by fathletic » September 4th, 2018, 11:50 am

I’m thinking about purchasing one of these bikes. My problem is space and where to store the device. I have a huge balcony, but I live in Finland where you can have -25 Celsius outside. The balcony is covered by glass, but not air tight. So it would probably freeze at least during some points in the winter if storing it there. How would the product handle that? Also if I do my practice outside? Not during the coldest winter, but during springtime and autumn when its raining outside.

Slothful1
1k Poster

Re: Semi outdoor use

Post by Slothful1 » September 5th, 2018, 12:59 am

Hi

I don't live in a place with such extremes, so can't comment from experience, but the question has popped up occasionally on the rowing side of the forum. The main issues seem to be the monitor not performing in the cold, and the lubrication in the clutch becoming less effective (some links below on what I found).

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165084
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=164058

There is a belt on the BikeErg rather than a chain, and that might have additional challenges. The cold might make it less flexible and potentially prone to breaking (I'm guessing though). Maybe send a message on the forum to c2jonw in case he doesn't see this topic, or send a mail to Concept2 on their usual customer service address.

Cheers
Dave

fathletic
Paddler

Post by fathletic » September 5th, 2018, 1:09 am

Thank you for your answer.

I actually read those threads was just pondering on differences between rowers and bike erg. I will probably only store it at the balcony and remove the monitor while it is in the cold enough to do the damage. Interesting thing is humidity side especially if I have the bike at the balcony all year around. Though, when it gets colder the air gets dryer as well.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how durable the product is in extreme conditions.

HeavyBrad
Paddler

Post by HeavyBrad » September 6th, 2018, 10:53 am

Water expands when it freezes, even tiny sweat drops on your BikeErg, and metal becomes brittle and brakes. I wouldn't even try doing that. I used to bike outdoors in winter here in Norway for transportation, and those bikes didn't last very long.