Advice for accelerating faster?

Discuss all things related to the BikeErg, Concept2's newest product.
Post Reply
mattBLiTZ
Paddler
Posts: 17
Joined: August 9th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Advice for accelerating faster?

Post by mattBLiTZ » October 28th, 2018, 4:14 pm

Hey all,

I feel this may be a stupid question, as the answer to accelerating faster is likely "pedal harder/faster" / "get strong/more fit" but I was just wondering if anyone had helpful advice for maybe something like a mental cue or body positioning that could help get the flywheel moving in the beginning. I feel like on shorter distances I waste a lot of precious time and energy getting up to pace. Does everyone else feel that way as well, or am I being too timid in the start? For example, I did a 200m sprint with the first 100m avg at 1:38.0 pace (92 rpm) and the second 100m avg at 1:19.0 pace (122 rpm). I have a feeling this may be an unusually wide gap of speed. Will keep practicing of course, still fairly new, but wanted to get any thoughts. Cheers :)

CaseyClarke
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 8:59 am

Re: Advice for accelerating faster?

Post by CaseyClarke » October 28th, 2018, 4:35 pm

mattBLiTZ wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Hey all,

I feel this may be a stupid question, as the answer to accelerating faster is likely "pedal harder/faster" / "get strong/more fit" but I was just wondering if anyone had helpful advice for maybe something like a mental cue or body positioning that could help get the flywheel moving in the beginning. I feel like on shorter distances I waste a lot of precious time and energy getting up to pace. Does everyone else feel that way as well, or am I being too timid in the start? For example, I did a 200m sprint with the first 100m avg at 1:38.0 pace (92 rpm) and the second 100m avg at 1:19.0 pace (122 rpm). I have a feeling this may be an unusually wide gap of speed. Will keep practicing of course, still fairly new, but wanted to get any thoughts. Cheers :)
Watch some YouTube videos on track sprinters body positioning at the start of a sprint from a stand still. You need to be very aggressive, almost like you're trying to break the machine. Pedals need to be around 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock with your strongest leg the first to drive. Simultaneously pull up on the handlebars to force your body weight down into the pedal, then quickly switch the same action to the opposite side. Additionally, it's hard to start fast if your drag isn't high. I get my fastest starts with 200+ drag. 1:19 pace at 122rpm is likely too low of a drag factor. My usual starts, when I get them right, are 1:35-1:38 for the first split, 1:13-1:16 for the 2nd, and close to and under 1:10 by the third. I have a 14.3 / 1:11.5 200m PB.

mattBLiTZ
Paddler
Posts: 17
Joined: August 9th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Re: Advice for accelerating faster?

Post by mattBLiTZ » October 29th, 2018, 12:42 pm

CaseyClarke wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 4:35 pm
mattBLiTZ wrote:
October 28th, 2018, 4:14 pm
Hey all,

I feel this may be a stupid question, as the answer to accelerating faster is likely "pedal harder/faster" / "get strong/more fit" but I was just wondering if anyone had helpful advice for maybe something like a mental cue or body positioning that could help get the flywheel moving in the beginning. I feel like on shorter distances I waste a lot of precious time and energy getting up to pace. Does everyone else feel that way as well, or am I being too timid in the start? For example, I did a 200m sprint with the first 100m avg at 1:38.0 pace (92 rpm) and the second 100m avg at 1:19.0 pace (122 rpm). I have a feeling this may be an unusually wide gap of speed. Will keep practicing of course, still fairly new, but wanted to get any thoughts. Cheers :)
Watch some YouTube videos on track sprinters body positioning at the start of a sprint from a stand still. You need to be very aggressive, almost like you're trying to break the machine. Pedals need to be around 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock with your strongest leg the first to drive. Simultaneously pull up on the handlebars to force your body weight down into the pedal, then quickly switch the same action to the opposite side. Additionally, it's hard to start fast if your drag isn't high. I get my fastest starts with 200+ drag. 1:19 pace at 122rpm is likely too low of a drag factor. My usual starts, when I get them right, are 1:35-1:38 for the first split, 1:13-1:16 for the 2nd, and close to and under 1:10 by the third. I have a 14.3 / 1:11.5 200m PB.
Thank you so much! Last question, do you have a goal RPM in mind where you feel the most powerful for 200m? And is there an "ideal" RPM for different categories of race that you always shoot for, or would you aim for a specific RPM where you feel powerful and efficient on a 200m sprint and keep it the same as you would for a 1000m, or even a 4000m, but with progressively lower drag factors as the distance increases?

CaseyClarke
1k Poster
Posts: 101
Joined: July 1st, 2016, 8:59 am

Re: Advice for accelerating faster?

Post by CaseyClarke » October 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm

No goal RPM on a 200m. You can really only get a fast first 100m with a very high resistance, so it’s really just a case of ragging it as hard as you can off the start. My 1:11.5 PB is 1:14.0 for the first 100m and 1:09.0 for the 2nd. RPMs were 90 & 105 respectively for each 100m.

With regard to anything longer than a short sprint, ie 4km and upwards, I personally find I’m most efficient in the 85-90rpm bracket. I’ve found this through trial & error and a lot of experimentation. Guess the only way for you is to do the same, unless you have some idea of where you best operate?? Generally speaking, lower cadences stress the muscular system more, whereas higher cadences stress the cardio system more.

Assuming I want to ride everything from 4km to 100km at 85-90, then yes, just a case of lowering the drag as the distances increase so you meet your target power at your preferred RPM range.

mattBLiTZ
Paddler
Posts: 17
Joined: August 9th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Re: Advice for accelerating faster?

Post by mattBLiTZ » October 29th, 2018, 5:48 pm

CaseyClarke wrote:
October 29th, 2018, 4:53 pm
No goal RPM on a 200m. You can really only get a fast first 100m with a very high resistance, so it’s really just a case of ragging it as hard as you can off the start. My 1:11.5 PB is 1:14.0 for the first 100m and 1:09.0 for the 2nd. RPMs were 90 & 105 respectively for each 100m.

With regard to anything longer than a short sprint, ie 4km and upwards, I personally find I’m most efficient in the 85-90rpm bracket. I’ve found this through trial & error and a lot of experimentation. Guess the only way for you is to do the same, unless you have some idea of where you best operate?? Generally speaking, lower cadences stress the muscular system more, whereas higher cadences stress the cardio system more.

Assuming I want to ride everything from 4km to 100km at 85-90, then yes, just a case of lowering the drag as the distances increase so you meet your target power at your preferred RPM range.
Awesome insights, really appreciate it

Post Reply