Introduce yourself

mjlawton
Paddler

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by mjlawton » October 22nd, 2018, 7:30 pm

I would love to have it on our screened in porch, but I will be keeping it indoors to keep it out of the salt air. Thanks for the heads up though :).
Janet (F, 58, 5ft 4, 142lb)
started rowing Oct 2018

MSI_11
Paddler

Post by MSI_11 » November 3rd, 2018, 11:04 am

Hi,
I am new to this forum and rowing in general. In the past I have only use rowing as an addition to my running and cycling training. I am 41 year old female, just few weeks ago had my leg surgery and trying something new and it looks like I found it ;). This week I managed to do few rowing sessions and so far my best result for 2000m is 9:49.5 with av 2:27.3/500m and S/M 26. To be honest I have no idea if thats good or bad ;) I am using a gym equipment and I am struggling to set a drag factor. At the moment I have tried two different rowers and average df is around 80, so far of the recommended 110 - 115 :(
Maybe I am doing something wrong? Any suggestions, can it have a big impact on the training?

Thank you
Marta
Marta
41yo/177cm, 5'10/72kg, 158lbs
Leeds, UK
Started rowing in Nov 2018

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » November 3rd, 2018, 5:40 pm

Knocking out 110 watts a few weeks after leg surgery AND you know how to find the df in the monitor? Maybe you should be giving the advice!

The catch is going to be easier on healing tissue at low drag but, if you want it higher, you’ll have to make your wishes known to gym management and ask to have the erg fan cages cleaned. You got a good, quick drive at df 80 so I suggest experimenting judiciously with higher drag. 110 is high enuf for women, children, and old geezers like me. :lol:
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » November 3rd, 2018, 5:53 pm

MSI_11 wrote:
November 3rd, 2018, 11:04 am
Hi, I am new to this forum and rowing in general. In the past I have only use rowing as an addition to my running and cycling training. I am 41 year old female, just few weeks ago had my leg surgery and trying something new and it looks like I found it ;). This week I managed to do few rowing sessions and so far my best result for 2000m is 9:49.5 with av 2:27.3/500m and S/M 26. To be honest I have no idea if thats good or bad ;) I am using a gym equipment and I am struggling to set a drag factor. At the moment I have tried two different rowers and average df is around 80, so far of the recommended 110 - 115
Maybe I am doing something wrong? Any suggestions, can it have a big impact on the training? Thank you Marta
Hi Marta - you have indeed discovered an ideal exercise tool and you will find many cross overs from cycling and running here. Good for rehab of your leg. The physical differences mean that it will take a while to build up the upper body strength that you need to do well on the erg but that is not so important in running and cycling. Your 2:27 pace 2k is not fast of course but you wouldn't expect it to be but as Jack says not shabby at all. To get a feel for what is possible you could look at the C2 rankings here: https://log.concept2.com/rankings
What you have discovered I suspect is that the machines at the gym are very dirty - especially if the df80 is with the damper on 10. It takes about 10 minutes to clean them and you should get them to fix it. There is a huge amount of information on the training sub forum for "newbies" and if you spend some time there you will get a lot of help. You should also look at drag factor discussions there as well. The 110 you suggest is a good starting point as Jack has said. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uc2HQILJhU&t=41s - the Dark Horse vids are by and large pretty good.
I wouldn't worry too much about pace yet - just spend some time on good technique and getting some meters in. A strong steady stroke at around 24sr is a good place to start. Jamesg who contributes here a lot likes 2watts per kg as a good goal - his threads are very informative. The really cool thing is that initial improvement can be quite rapid and is very measurable on the erg so goal setting and progress is very satisfying
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2

MSI_11
Paddler

Post by MSI_11 » November 4th, 2018, 9:53 am

Hi, first of all thx @lindsayh and @jackarabit for your suggestions. Tomorrow I am planning to start PBP and take it steady. Definitely need to work on my upper body and core straight. I will also try to talk at the gym about the rowing machines. In worst case scenario I will stick to what I have now. I will try to find some teams on forum cos that always is a good motivation for me :D

Thank you
Marta
41yo/177cm, 5'10/72kg, 158lbs
Leeds, UK
Started rowing in Nov 2018

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » November 4th, 2018, 11:54 am

PBP a good choice, Marta. There are some guys on the Pete Plan thread (“Training” subforum) doing Pete Begin(here). Great to ratchet up volume! The thread is a bit chick-deficient but Mike Pfirrman (threadowner) has been thru all the Marston training plans and will see you right with good advice and encouragement.
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_71_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

mjlawton
Paddler

Post by mjlawton » November 4th, 2018, 3:16 pm

Hi Marta! Good to see another newbie female on the forums. I just started in October and am also doing the Beginner Pete Plan (just finished week 4). I will miss 2 weeks while away from my erg in florida, so we will be close in training by december. I joined the Free Spirits team as they have a separate forum that had a lot of good beginner info. I think Free Spirits and Forum Flyers are both very friendly teams and seem to always be looking for female rowers. I do sprint triathlons in the summer, so I also do run, cycle, swim cross training besides rowing. I am enjoying it so far and the Beg Pete Plan has worked out well for me as someone new to rowing. I rowed 100,000 meters my first month and have been motivated by the various online contests and rankings. Welcome to the forum and good luck with your rowing.

P.S. I have also had both ACL's repaired, so I can relate to the leg surgery rehab as well!
Janet (F, 58, 5ft 4, 142lb)
started rowing Oct 2018