Introduce yourself

mjlawton
500m Poster

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by mjlawton » June 26th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Hi bronze,
I am a beginner rower also, but I can tell you there is a Beginner Pete Plan (google it) which is a training plan many people use. I will tell you though you need to be able to row 5000 meters to start the plan. If you can't do that yet (around 1/2 hr of rowing), then work up to that slowly by adding a few minutes of rowing each day. Once you stop rowing, it is hard to maintain the endurance, so I suggest finding a routine and sticking with it. Make sure you pay attention to the damper setting (lever on wheel) and don't have it set too high. Around 3 or 4 for women generally.

Good luck! Janet
Janet (F, 59, 5ft 4, 142lb)
started rowing Oct 2018

GaryMac
Paddler

Post by GaryMac » July 7th, 2019, 2:31 am

Hi all. I am a 51 y.o newbie. Just bought my C2 4 days ago and have done 3K, 3.2K, 5k & 5K so far. After a bad wrist injury 3 years ago I stopped doing any fitness activities (used to do a couple of days road cycling & a couple of gym days each week) and I had gained 6 kgs. Looking to lose some weight and get my fitness back. I also forgot how much exercising improved my mood and have been much more prone to down days since I stopped exercising.

Hoping to do 20-30 mins each morning Mon-Thur take a Friday off then do longer sessions on the weekends (maybe 45-60 mins) or get out and cycle again.It has been taking me about 27m30s to do a 5K so would ideally like to get that down to 20 mins. Am also finding it difficult to get the stroke right, especially the initial drive, and think I am lifting my heels too much so will be focusing on that to begin with. Looking forward to learning from the people on this forum.

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » July 7th, 2019, 9:18 am

Message just above yours is a good place to start on your path to 20’ 5k. And get back on that bike when possible.

👍 :P 👍
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Kanga
Paddler

Post by Kanga » July 7th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Hi :D
My husband was lucky enough to inherit his mum’s concept 2 C model. So far it’s had a new PM5 and now getting a new handle and complete seat with new rollers to upgrade it. I now have quite the spanner and Allen key set!
I’m 46 and looking to get fit and lose some of the middle aged spread. So far it’s been a few 5k and 2k with not a lot of technique! But have been watching Dark Horse on you tube and just ordered The Erg Book for some ideas.so far my best time is 2k 9.15 (down from 9.43 last week) and 5k 25.59. I’ve got the ErgData app but a lot of tech stuff on there I don’t understand apart from split times . Looking forward to reading the forum and sharing my journey and trying to beat my husbands 2k time of 8.44.
F46 5’11 185lb started rowing June 2019

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » July 7th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Doing great, Kanga! If you are logging your workouts in the Concept 2 logbook, ErgData enables one-button, no fuss uploads. Faster than transfer from PM5 USB stick or USB cable to PC,

Appears you're no stranger to the mechanical arts. Your model C will probably not require much maintenance and repair but handy nonetheless. Here’s to lady wrenches! Bearing grease is the new hand lotion. :D
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log

Kanga
Paddler

Post by Kanga » July 8th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Thanks for the welcome. It’s so much better having a rower at home instead of the gym. I’m just working on getting my technique right, it’s fine in the warmup then goes to pot when I speed up toward the end of a 5k.
Are other folks on here indoor only, or are there outdoor rowers as well?
F46 5’11 185lb started rowing June 2019

lindsayh
Half Marathon Poster

Post by lindsayh » July 9th, 2019, 5:39 am

Kanga wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 5:15 pm
Thanks for the welcome. It’s so much better having a rower at home instead of the gym. I’m just working on getting my technique right, it’s fine in the warmup then goes to pot when I speed up toward the end of a 5k. Are other folks on here indoor only, or are there outdoor rowers as well?
Welcome
There is a mix of pure OTE (erg) and OTW (water) types who have a love/hate relationship with the erg and do both. Some are using erg training for general health and weight loss, some cross training, some cross fitters and some are pure erg racers.
Have a look at the training sub forum - lots of good ideas
Lindsay
67yo 91kg
Sydney Australia
Forum Flyer
PBs (65y+) 1 min 349m, 500m 1:29.8, 1k 3:11.7 2k 6:47.4, 5km 18:07.9, 30' 7928m, 10k 37:57.2, 60' 15368m

jackarabit
Marathon Poster

Post by jackarabit » July 9th, 2019, 5:41 am

Are other folks on here indoor only, or are there outdoor rowers as well?
The C2 erg was conceived as a training simulator for the OTW ‘mother sport’ but obviously has a a large following who use it exclusively in pursuit of general fitness. There are two subfora which are primarily of interest to scullers and sweep rowers: “Concept 2 Dreissegacker Oars” under Products and “On the Water” under Training. The landlocked and the waterborne cross paths in general discussion and many here have a commanding knowledge of both boat and erg.

M_72_5'-7"_164lb

Training Log