Introduce yourself

Ripples
1k Poster
Posts: 111
Joined: February 10th, 2017, 10:37 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » February 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Welcome, Cynthia.

Wow, that had to have been an awful experience, fracturing both wrists. I admire your fortitude in continuing to row in spite of your back problems. If you do a search, you'll find lots of posts on that topic.

I personally think even short sessions are helpful. Certainly better than doing nothing.

Best wishes.

birchpt
Paddler
Posts: 2
Joined: February 26th, 2020, 10:01 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by birchpt » February 28th, 2020, 9:22 pm

I recently retired and rewarded myself with a Concept2. I feel stronger every day and have become totally passionate about this machine. I don't understand why rowing isn't encouraged more for an aging population; it is such great exercise without the joint impact. I am so grateful for all of the valuable information in this forum!
Joan
Female Newbie (62 years young)
Presque Isle, WI

graycyn
500m Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: January 31st, 2020, 6:33 am
Location: USA

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by graycyn » February 29th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Ripples wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Welcome, Cynthia.

Wow, that had to have been an awful experience, fracturing both wrists. I admire your fortitude in continuing to row in spite of your back problems. If you do a search, you'll find lots of posts on that topic.

I personally think even short sessions are helpful. Certainly better than doing nothing.

Best wishes.

It wasn't fun having both wrists broken, but the worst was really the bad thumb sprains. It certainly engendered new appreciation for how much we use our thumbs!

I'm back to short sessions for the moment. Tried just a bit longer for the C2 Valentine's Challenge and my back didn't like it. Maybe I can work up to longer, maybe short is it, hard to say. Back in weight loss mode, hoping if I can lose a little more weight it will help the nerve inflammation a tad.
Cynthia P.
Look a bit like a whale, row like a snail, will carry a pail and help bail!

graycyn
500m Poster
Posts: 63
Joined: January 31st, 2020, 6:33 am
Location: USA

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by graycyn » February 29th, 2020, 11:32 pm

birchpt wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 9:22 pm
I recently retired and rewarded myself with a Concept2. I feel stronger every day and have become totally passionate about this machine. I don't understand why rowing isn't encouraged more for an aging population; it is such great exercise without the joint impact. I am so grateful for all of the valuable information in this forum!
A great reward! I love mine and only wish I could do more. But I may get there yet.

I don't understand why more doctors/therapists don't encourage it either! Maybe they feel that if people row with poor form, it will backfire. But there's great resources out there for learning form, so it shouldn't be THAT big a barrier! Although I admit, most of the folks who use the C2 at the gym clearly haven't done ANY homework on form.... :D
Cynthia P.
Look a bit like a whale, row like a snail, will carry a pail and help bail!

skkipper
Paddler
Posts: 10
Joined: April 8th, 2019, 3:02 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by skkipper » April 8th, 2020, 8:47 pm

Hello everyone! I am 27 years old and living in San Diego, CA. Used to be an athlete and now I just love carbs - gotta lose a lot of weight. I got my Model D in April last year after falling in love with HIIT intervals on the rower at my small gym which closed down. I have injuries from years of tennis and weak ligaments and tendons but the rower seemed unique in that it was not hurting my knees (my sister got her first knee replacement at 35 yo, my goal is to make it longer than that :shock: ). I downloaded a program last April from the Interactive Programme and was actually loving it (recently saw that that is no longer available, that is too bad :( )

But then I got the flu in June which turned into pneumonia and broken ribs from coughing too hard (are they sure Covid-19 wasn't around in June '19???) and my lungs were not really in shape to exercise until early this year. Finally back on the rower now that we are in quarantine and restarted the program from last year. I finally feel like I have time to exercise. Battling those early blisters, but it's going well (3 weeks, every other day).

Is anyone else around here rowing during quarantine? The women's forum does not seem terribly active.

User avatar
jackarabit
Marathon Poster
Posts: 5086
Joined: June 14th, 2014, 9:51 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by jackarabit » April 8th, 2020, 11:42 pm

Skkipper writes:
. I downloaded a program last April from the Interactive Programme and was actually loving it (recently saw that that is no longer available, that is too bad :( )
If you didn’t make a hard copy of the particular IP you used, this can help ⬇️

http://www.redking.me.uk/sport/rowing/ ... ing_v2.pdf
There are two types of people in this world: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

M_72_5'-7"_164lb
Image

Training Log

evanya84
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
Location: San Diego, CA, United States

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 9th, 2020, 9:00 am

skkipper wrote:
April 8th, 2020, 8:47 pm
Hello everyone! I am 27 years old and living in San Diego, CA. Used to be an athlete and now I just love carbs - gotta lose a lot of weight. I got my Model D in April last year after falling in love with HIIT intervals on the rower at my small gym which closed down. I have injuries from years of tennis and weak ligaments and tendons but the rower seemed unique in that it was not hurting my knees (my sister got her first knee replacement at 35 yo, my goal is to make it longer than that :shock: ). I downloaded a program last April from the Interactive Programme and was actually loving it (recently saw that that is no longer available, that is too bad :( )

But then I got the flu in June which turned into pneumonia and broken ribs from coughing too hard (are they sure Covid-19 wasn't around in June '19???) and my lungs were not really in shape to exercise until early this year. Finally back on the rower now that we are in quarantine and restarted the program from last year. I finally feel like I have time to exercise. Battling those early blisters, but it's going well (3 weeks, every other day).

Is anyone else around here rowing during quarantine? The women's forum does not seem terribly active.
Hi! I live in San Diego too!!! I literally just joined this forum right now. I purchased my own Concept2 rowing machine and just set it up yesterday. Like you, I am more motivated than ever to exercise in quarantine. I belong to the Y, which has been closed for almost a month now. So I'm getting used to working out in my apartment, and getting a rowing machine was vital. Many years ago I was on the crew team at GMU, so I am familiar with rowing already!!

Anyway, nice to meet you! What kind of workouts do you do on it so far? If you say you have blisters, I imagine you must be doing long rows!?!
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

evanya84
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
Location: San Diego, CA, United States

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am

Hello all! I live in San Diego, and I just bought a new Model D and set it up yesterday, due to the gyms being closed indefinitely. However, I'm not new to rowing... I used to be on the novice crew team at George Mason University back in 2004, but it was so brutal that I only lasted one semester before my appendix almost burst ... I had to have emergency surgery on the DAY we were excitedly leaving town for a race in Florida! I gave up the team after that because I decided it was too much for me, even though I really loved being out on the water, and despite my short time on the team, I was a good rower with a lot of potential (I'm 6"1"). Rowing was always love at first sight for me ... It was the only sport I ever tried in my life, and still the only one I would ever do again, if given the choice. :D

Annnnyway, since then (I'm 35 now) thankfully I've learned to keep in great shape via other exercises at the gym - I love HIIT on the elliptical, sometimes stair climber, and then I just do a lot of bodyweight/floor/core exercises to keep up my muscle tone. Sadly, I rarely use ergs anymore, and the reason is because: whenever I do try to row regularly, unfortunately I develop a couple of specific trouble spots. Any advice on these would be greatly appreciated...

1. Mid-back. No where else in my back, just the mid-back thoracic area. It is a dull ache that sets in after 10 minutes or so of rowing, the kind of ache where the only thing that alleviates it is laying flat on the floor. It only occurs while I'm rowing. Could it be because I'm trying to sit up too straight? I have really good posture already, and it's very easy for me to sit up very straight, so I'm wondering if it's because I should actually allow a slight curve in my back while I row. Or it could be from my scoliosis. I have a slight scoliosis (the degree is classified at the upper end of "mild"), and I remember many years ago one chiropractor told me (upon me telling him I used to be on the crew team) that rowing would, in my case, be bad for my back because I am already at risk for thoracic compression of my discs. I'm really hoping he was wrong about that, and that instead, my issue here is incorrect form. So, I'm thinking that either the pain is coming from overusing my mid-back muscles (incorrect form), or (worse) a disc problem (which means I shouldn't row). Definitely hoping for the former and not the latter...
2. Knees. But I know why: I have a constant struggle every time I row to stop myself from sliding too far forward at the catch, because I have long, thin, and FLEXIBLE legs, so my natural tendency is to slide past vertical in order to start a nice long stroke, which of course ALWAYS makes my knees hurt, even after just 5 minutes. I always have to focus on stopping myself at what seems "premature" at this vertical knee position.
3. On longer rows, my arms always get sore, specifically my biceps from the very last and final pull (going into the release). Either my form is incorrect, or I just have weak arms.

It is my great hope that I can solve these problems successfully (2 and 3 are minor, but 1 is the major issue), because I really want rowing to be a long-term part of my fitness routine. Right now I vastly prefer the elliptical for my HIIT, but I know there is just NOTHING else that comes close to the level of full body fitness that a rowing machine offers. I am aware that it really is superior to most other forms of exercise. So maybe the gym closing is a blessing in disguise, and I can finally unlock all the potential that rowing has to offer me.

Thanks for reading!
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

Cyclist2
6k Poster
Posts: 794
Joined: December 13th, 2006, 8:20 pm
Location: Bremerton, WA

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Cyclist2 » April 9th, 2020, 12:46 pm

Welcome! I can't comment medically on any of your questions, but from a rowing standpoint I have a few thoughts.
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am
1. Mid-back. No where else in my back, just the mid-back thoracic area. It is a dull ache that sets in after 10 minutes or so of rowing, the kind of ache where the only thing that alleviates it is laying flat on the floor. It only occurs while I'm rowing. Could it be because I'm trying to sit up too straight? I have really good posture already, and it's very easy for me to sit up very straight, so I'm wondering if it's because I should actually allow a slight curve in my back while I row. Or it could be from my scoliosis. I have a slight scoliosis (the degree is classified at the upper end of "mild"), and I remember many years ago one chiropractor told me (upon me telling him I used to be on the crew team) that rowing would, in my case, be bad for my back because I am already at risk for thoracic compression of my discs. I'm really hoping he was wrong about that, and that instead, my issue here is incorrect form. So, I'm thinking that either the pain is coming from overusing my mid-back muscles (incorrect form), or (worse) a disc problem (which means I shouldn't row). Definitely hoping for the former and not the latter...
You don't want a forced arched back, or a rounded back. You want a comfortable sitting back supported by a strong core. Since you are relatively new at this, it may just be conditioning and getting the technique figured out. Watch the C2 videos on technique and do lots of slower, mid-20s stroke rate work until it feels more natural.
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am
2. Knees. But I know why: I have a constant struggle every time I row to stop myself from sliding too far forward at the catch, because I have long, thin, and FLEXIBLE legs, so my natural tendency is to slide past vertical in order to start a nice long stroke, which of course ALWAYS makes my knees hurt, even after just 5 minutes. I always have to focus on stopping myself at what seems "premature" at this vertical knee position.
Raise your Flexfeet up a hole or two until your shins are vertical at the catch and you are comfortably compressed, not forced. A mirror or a video of yourself will help with that. That may help your back, too.
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am
3. On longer rows, my arms always get sore, specifically my biceps from the very last and final pull (going into the release). Either my form is incorrect, or I just have weak arms
This is likely just conditioning. The arms are the weakest part of the stroke and are used basically just to carry the momentum of the stroke to the finish. However, they do contribute, so some exercises to strengthen them are good. You can do these on the rower (arms only with high drag, for example) or with weights or TRX type system work.

There are tons of good threads throughout this forum, plus YouTube videos, etc. to help you get it figured out. Good luck, and have fun!
Mark Underwood. Rower first, cyclist too.

skkipper
Paddler
Posts: 10
Joined: April 8th, 2019, 3:02 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by skkipper » April 9th, 2020, 3:25 pm

evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:00 am
Hi! I live in San Diego too!!! I literally just joined this forum right now. I purchased my own Concept2 rowing machine and just set it up yesterday. Like you, I am more motivated than ever to exercise in quarantine. I belong to the Y, which has been closed for almost a month now. So I'm getting used to working out in my apartment, and getting a rowing machine was vital. Many years ago I was on the crew team at GMU, so I am familiar with rowing already!!

Anyway, nice to meet you! What kind of workouts do you do on it so far? If you say you have blisters, I imagine you must be doing long rows!?!
Hello!! This is the program I am doing. Starting out slow and longer and working up to more intense. I might modify it for some longer rows in the maintenance but for now I am on round 3 of the intro. My hands used to be very calloused because of all the tennis but with very little exercise in the past couple years, they have gotten soft, so the 38 min and 45 min rows have definitely been tough on them. I am trying to consciously not grip hard, hoping that I just need to build up a few callouses and all will be well :D

Image

evanya84
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
Location: San Diego, CA, United States

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 10th, 2020, 9:00 am

Cyclist2 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 12:46 pm
You don't want a forced arched back, or a rounded back. You want a comfortable sitting back supported by a strong core. Since you are relatively new at this, it may just be conditioning and getting the technique figured out. Watch the C2 videos on technique and do lots of slower, mid-20s stroke rate work until it feels more natural.
Well, I'm not new at it... (not only because of the previous experience of being on the crew team ~15 years ago, but): I didn't mention this in my OP, but about 8 years ago I purchased a rowing machine and ended up selling it because after rowing for over a year on it (I was doing almost daily 5ks), I continually had this problem of mid-back pain, despite really trying to figure out why it was happening. But yeah, I sold the machine because I sort of gave up and concluded that the rowing must not be good for my back, overall. So this is my second time giving it a sincere try, because I truly love the fitness I get from it.

As for the actual advice on sitting at the catch: the number of times I have read "spine should be relaxed but not tense, in a neutral position", and the number of videos I have watched on this makes my head spin. So I know what I should be doing, but I think at this point I need to upload a video of myself, so that people can actually tell me if I'm doing it correctly. As far as I think, I believe I have good form already, but I could definitely be wrong. I don't know what "neutral" even means anymore. My "neutral" could be someone else's opinion of "ram-rod straight" for all I know. So maybe a video of myself will help.
Cyclist2 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 12:46 pm
Raise your Flexfeet up a hole or two until your shins are vertical at the catch and you are comfortably compressed, not forced. A mirror or a video of yourself will help with that. That may help your back, too.
Yes, I definitely know when to stop, but I just have to just develop the muscle memory of stopping at the right time in my slide. Thanks.
Cyclist2 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 12:46 pm
3. On longer rows, my arms always get sore, specifically my biceps from the very last and final pull (going into the release). Either my form is incorrect, or I just have weak arms

This is likely just conditioning. The arms are the weakest part of the stroke and are used basically just to carry the momentum of the stroke to the finish. However, they do contribute, so some exercises to strengthen them are good. You can do these on the rower (arms only with high drag, for example) or with weights or TRX type system work.

There are tons of good threads throughout this forum, plus YouTube videos, etc. to help you get it figured out. Good luck, and have fun!
That's a great idea, just doing arms only with high drag! Never thought about that.

Thanks for the advice!!
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

evanya84
Paddler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 9th, 2020, 8:55 am
Location: San Diego, CA, United States

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by evanya84 » April 10th, 2020, 9:07 am

skkipper wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 3:25 pm
evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 9:00 am
Hi! I live in San Diego too!!! I literally just joined this forum right now. I purchased my own Concept2 rowing machine and just set it up yesterday. Like you, I am more motivated than ever to exercise in quarantine. I belong to the Y, which has been closed for almost a month now. So I'm getting used to working out in my apartment, and getting a rowing machine was vital. Many years ago I was on the crew team at GMU, so I am familiar with rowing already!!

Anyway, nice to meet you! What kind of workouts do you do on it so far? If you say you have blisters, I imagine you must be doing long rows!?!
Hello!! This is the program I am doing. Starting out slow and longer and working up to more intense. I might modify it for some longer rows in the maintenance but for now I am on round 3 of the intro. My hands used to be very calloused because of all the tennis but with very little exercise in the past couple years, they have gotten soft, so the 38 min and 45 min rows have definitely been tough on them. I am trying to consciously not grip hard, hoping that I just need to build up a few callouses and all will be well :D

Image
Wow, impressive! (Quick question: do you do 3 sessions per DAY??? or is that spread out over like, a week?)

I can't go for long sessions because my back starts hurting. I am capable of going that long, cardiovascular-wise, but unfortunately I just can't because of back pain. I'm working hard to figure this out right now, so I can actually USE the machine I just bought. :(

I remember when I rowed a lot though (30 minute pieces), I would hold the handle so that the first two bones of my finger tips just barely hooked over the bar. So, I was never gripping the bar. Therefore I never had issues with blisters, and never got callouses. How are you gripping the handle?
35/F, 6'1", 165lbs. Long time fitness enthusiast, beginner rower

skkipper
Paddler
Posts: 10
Joined: April 8th, 2019, 3:02 am

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by skkipper » April 10th, 2020, 3:19 pm

evanya84 wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 9:07 am
Wow, impressive! (Quick question: do you do 3 sessions per DAY??? or is that spread out over like, a week?)
No no, 3-4 sessions per week (every other day). I assume once quarantine ends (I realize that may take awhile) it will be more difficult and my goal will be 3 sessions per week. On the other days right now, I am biking on the wonderfully empty streets, or circuit training with weights and bands. Also working on mobility because my hips have always been very tight.
evanya84 wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 9:07 am
I remember when I rowed a lot though (30 minute pieces), I would hold the handle so that the first two bones of my finger tips just barely hooked over the bar. So, I was never gripping the bar. Therefore I never had issues with blisters, and never got callouses. How are you gripping the handle?
Yeah, I have been trying to do that, not really gripping just hooking my fingers over the bar. There still seems to be quite a bit of rubbing. I have always been quick to blister/callous on my hands, so I'm hoping I am not too far off in form, just need to get used this.

Slothful1
2k Poster
Posts: 384
Joined: March 18th, 2006, 5:52 pm
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Slothful1 » April 11th, 2020, 4:05 am

skkipper wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 3:19 pm
evanya84 wrote:
April 10th, 2020, 9:07 am
I remember when I rowed a lot though (30 minute pieces), I would hold the handle so that the first two bones of my finger tips just barely hooked over the bar. So, I was never gripping the bar. Therefore I never had issues with blisters, and never got callouses. How are you gripping the handle?
Yeah, I have been trying to do that, not really gripping just hooking my fingers over the bar. There still seems to be quite a bit of rubbing. I have always been quick to blister/callous on my hands, so I'm hoping I am not too far off in form, just need to get used this.
It probably varies by individual. I also do the hooking method, and don't grip too tightly, but have built up callouses over the years. If I've taken a bit of a break from rowing, I get some hotspots on the finger joints when I start up again, but it toughens up quickly enough, and I don't have issues thereafter. I use my callouses as an indicator of whether I'm training enough or not :).

Dave

mict450
500m Poster
Posts: 61
Joined: December 23rd, 2019, 3:11 pm
Location: the good, ol' U S of A

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by mict450 » April 15th, 2020, 8:56 am

evanya84 wrote:
April 9th, 2020, 10:10 am

1. Mid-back. No where else in my back, just the mid-back thoracic area. It is a dull ache that sets in after 10 minutes or so of rowing, the kind of ache where the only thing that alleviates it is laying flat on the floor. It only occurs while I'm rowing. Could it be because I'm trying to sit up too straight? I have really good posture already, and it's very easy for me to sit up very straight, so I'm wondering if it's because I should actually allow a slight curve in my back while I row. Or it could be from my scoliosis. I have a slight scoliosis (the degree is classified at the upper end of "mild"), and I remember many years ago one chiropractor told me (upon me telling him I used to be on the crew team) that rowing would, in my case, be bad for my back because I am already at risk for thoracic compression of my discs. I'm really hoping he was wrong about that, and that instead, my issue here is incorrect form. So, I'm thinking that either the pain is coming from overusing my mid-back muscles (incorrect form), or (worse) a disc problem (which means I shouldn't row). Definitely hoping for the former and not the latter...
Would be wise to consult a medical provider who specializes in sports medicine & the spine. You already have a pre-existing condition in your spine. Whether yours will progressively worsen as you age and the effect that erging will have on you, I am not qualified to hazard a guess.

Whatever you decide to do, please stay healthy. This from someone who bears the scars from too much enthusiasm and too little common sense. Now in my mid 60's, the mantra I try hard to follow is, "If it hurts, I don't do it!" For too, too long, I tried to live by the Chesty Puller quote, "Pain is weakness leaving the body." Your older self will thank you.

Stay well & pain-free.
Eric, 1954, male
Shasta County, CA, USA

Post Reply