Introduce yourself

Ripples
1k Poster

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Ripples » February 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Welcome, Cynthia.

Wow, that had to have been an awful experience, fracturing both wrists. I admire your fortitude in continuing to row in spite of your back problems. If you do a search, you'll find lots of posts on that topic.

I personally think even short sessions are helpful. Certainly better than doing nothing.

Best wishes.

birchpt
Paddler

Post by birchpt » February 28th, 2020, 9:22 pm

I recently retired and rewarded myself with a Concept2. I feel stronger every day and have become totally passionate about this machine. I don't understand why rowing isn't encouraged more for an aging population; it is such great exercise without the joint impact. I am so grateful for all of the valuable information in this forum!
Joan
Female Newbie (62 years young)
Presque Isle, WI

graycyn
Paddler

Post by graycyn » February 29th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Ripples wrote:
February 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm
Welcome, Cynthia.

Wow, that had to have been an awful experience, fracturing both wrists. I admire your fortitude in continuing to row in spite of your back problems. If you do a search, you'll find lots of posts on that topic.

I personally think even short sessions are helpful. Certainly better than doing nothing.

Best wishes.

It wasn't fun having both wrists broken, but the worst was really the bad thumb sprains. It certainly engendered new appreciation for how much we use our thumbs!

I'm back to short sessions for the moment. Tried just a bit longer for the C2 Valentine's Challenge and my back didn't like it. Maybe I can work up to longer, maybe short is it, hard to say. Back in weight loss mode, hoping if I can lose a little more weight it will help the nerve inflammation a tad.
Cynthia P.

graycyn
Paddler

Post by graycyn » February 29th, 2020, 11:32 pm

birchpt wrote:
February 28th, 2020, 9:22 pm
I recently retired and rewarded myself with a Concept2. I feel stronger every day and have become totally passionate about this machine. I don't understand why rowing isn't encouraged more for an aging population; it is such great exercise without the joint impact. I am so grateful for all of the valuable information in this forum!
A great reward! I love mine and only wish I could do more. But I may get there yet.

I don't understand why more doctors/therapists don't encourage it either! Maybe they feel that if people row with poor form, it will backfire. But there's great resources out there for learning form, so it shouldn't be THAT big a barrier! Although I admit, most of the folks who use the C2 at the gym clearly haven't done ANY homework on form.... :D
Cynthia P.